Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:58 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
Victoria is not even close to in the area of the op. Although, an out of range area from original post might include Columbus, Luling, Wharton, Lubbock, Amarillo, Waco.......
I know. But I think it has a magical combination of amenities and affordability that is nearly unmatched in TX. The OP didn't give any reason for DFW or Austin in particular, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 AM

50 posts, read 314,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

What's your budget for a 5 acre "hobby farm"?
Why "DFW or Austin". Why not 50 other cities & towns in Texas that might offer the data points you are looking for (but not the high end schools or hyper economies with higher real estate values)?
Well, for as little as possible. Say around 200K. Forgot to mention, we would like eastern Texas because of the higher rainfall. I believe its possible to grow food with minimal irrigation, West Texas is pretty but also pretty dry.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM

We have a friend in DFW area who mentions that there is considerable flooding in Texas----just started to do research, so we don't know much now. We live now in Orange Country SoCal. Cal is a sinking ship and we can not wait to leave it. We are considering Texas because it is a free state regarding firearms and personal liberties. Our DFW friend says climate can be extreme: very hot summers and very cold winters.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I know. But I think it has a magical combination of amenities and affordability that is nearly unmatched in TX. The OP didn't give any reason for DFW or Austin in particular, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
and we thank you for it!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
Well, for as little as possible. Say around 200K. Forgot to mention, we would like eastern Texas because of the higher rainfall. I believe its possible to grow food with minimal irrigation, West Texas is pretty but also pretty dry.
200K for just the dirt? Or 5 acres with a Home on it.....for 200K (less than 30 miles from a major metro) ??

Sounds like either a Doublewide on the working class side of town, 1987 (after our crash).....or a Unicorn.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
We have a friend in DFW area who mentions that there is considerable flooding in Texas----just started to do research, so we don't know much now. We live now in Orange Country SoCal. Cal is a sinking ship and we can not wait to leave it. We are considering Texas because it is a free state regarding firearms and personal liberties. Our DFW friend says climate can be extreme: very hot summers and very cold winters.
In some low lying areas there is flooding. These areas are in or next to a Flood Plain. Don't put the home in the low lying area next to a Flood plain.

Summers are hot (sometimes in July and August it's surface of the sun hot). & it's hot statewide.

Winters can be cold or mild (depending on where you locate....& depending on what your perspective is). Probably cold to you....not so much for a guy from Madison Wisconsin. Colder in Wichita Falls than in Cuero.

You really need to do some more research.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Okay, 5 acres with a house for $200,000 or less in the Austin area is going to be tough (I know, I look for those all day long for various clients), but possible. Depends on how much you're willing to fix up the house, what size house you're willing to go with, are you willing to look at modular (as distinct from manufactured) homes, etc. East of I35 is the way to go for both soil (black gumbo to sandy loam depending on where, as opposed to limestone soil west of I35, with a few pockets of good soil but finding those for sale isn't easy) and for price for what you're looking for. West, Burnet County is a possibility but it's a bit far out, though road development is bringing it closer all the time. Parts of Bell or Lee County are also options. How close in to Austin do you feel the need to be?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:39 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Easy- DFW.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Southeast of San Antonio, between SA and Victoria may work. But you're not getting close to town with a budget of 200k.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 7,267 times
The only thing keeping DFW from being Oklahoma is a line on a map - that place is flat man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin