Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM

46 posts, read 75,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
we did the same thing as you last year - i am from SO calif too born and raised - you won't find Austin to your liking - its way to liberal and yuppy and traffic is crap -

you need to take a few days -- a week and go see whats it like from Dallas- Austin- Waco - Tyler - etc-thats what we did and after 3 trips found a area we like - full of conservatives with strong values - i can tell you this - this site and the respondents are generally very liberal and be careful of what you read here-

PM if you want to know more

Thank you! We definitely need to go visit - just trying to get idea's of where to visit

Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Why have you added Austin to your list to consider? It's literally its own blue state in a giant red state. I don't think there is a worse choice to make for a Texas city. There are pockets of conservative but not enough to make a move to Austin worth it. There are plenty of smaller towns (or even bigger as mentioned, like Dallas) that may be a better fit. And why not just look into the more conservative parts of California?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why have you added Austin to your list to consider? It's literally its own blue state in a giant red state. I don't think there is a worse choice to make for a Texas city. There are pockets of conservative but not enough to make a move to Austin worth it. There are plenty of smaller towns (or even bigger as mentioned, like Dallas) that may be a better fit. And why not just look into the more conservative parts of California?

Hi there! The scenery was definitely big for me on choosing Austin. Again, we would not be living in Austin. On the outskirts, I guess I am more so asking about how far the the blue radius extends? Can you go 30 minutes out and find nicer red towns? Or is everything within 2 hours of Austin more liberal? I am not sure, which is why I am here asking for advise Dallas area could be an option but just wanting to know.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

Oh and conservative towns in California, do not change the fact that it is still California haha. I actually live in a more conservative town now but the California laws still apply to us. And the cost of California still apply to us

Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRE View Post
Don't live anywhere in Travis county. It is worse than California. Williamson County and other outlying areas are nice. Just do your research.
Williamson county is one of the places I was looking, thank you!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyserrao View Post
Williamson county is one of the places I was looking, thank you!
Williamson County is more like a mixed bag and is trending blue over time. The Austin area is not good for you, but it seems you're not listening to our advice.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Williamson County is more like a mixed bag and is trending blue over time. The Austin area is not good for you, but it seems you're not listening to our advice.
Huh?? I am listening - Georgetown (in Williamson County) is one of the places you yourself said was conservative?? I only posted this thread late last night - I am hoping to get a little more insight before making final decisions. I know Austin is super blue - again we would not be living in Austin. Georgetown is 30 minutes away right? It was a good contender for me before posting this but just wanted to get more advise from people actually living there rather than googling things.

Sorry if it seems I am not listening but I certainly am. Williamson county was mentioned twice as a more conservative place.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,352,192 times
Williamson County for the most part is conservative. Round Rock is 50/50, with maybe a tad to the right (which makes it an ideal city for me as a centrist).

But truth be told, the area in general will be a mix of various political ideologies. There are some very conservative areas of Austin.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM

477 posts, read 524,672 times
I think you should check out San Antonio. It is the same general area of the state as Austin, access to the hill country, but is also closer to the beach, and has a lower cost of living. Due to the military presence it is more conservative (http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../daily-chart-0). There are plenty of jobs in the fields you mentioned in your OP in San Antonio, including technology.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I think you should check out San Antonio. It is the same general area of the state as Austin, access to the hill country, but is also closer to the beach, and has a lower cost of living. Due to the military presence it is more conservative (http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../daily-chart-0). There are plenty of jobs in the fields you mentioned in your OP in San Antonio, including technology.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin