Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,329 times

Advertisements

We are thinking to move to the Austin suburbs from Northern Va. we have 3 kids and looking To move to a good neighborhood for family's with a good school ditrict. Both my kids have IEP's and need some support from school. I'm a little worried after reading a lot of the school reviews with really bad bullying issues and that TX dose not have good schools for kids with disabilities...? is bullying really that bad in round rock area? Is there a neighborhood or school district anyone can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 AM

195 posts, read 214,350 times
Hello Mom Lim. I don't think Texas has a worse, nor better, track record than any other state on School bullies. Round Rock schools are considered some of the better schools over all. Of course, like anywhere else, there are some individual schools that are better than others. You may also want to look into the Leander School District. Both Round Rock and Leander schools are considered to be excellent school districts. I also understand Pflugerville has good Special Education services.

I'd suggest calling each of these schools and talking to them about your childrens needs and concerns. If you decide to move here, Welcome!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,739,255 times
OP.....you're mis-informed.....& rude. The comment in red (below) sounds about the same (to me) as "Is the wife beating really that bad in your family"

Other comments & questions in your mis-informed post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Lim View Post
We are thinking to move to the Austin suburbs from Northern Va. Where will your job be? Will you likely rent or buy? What is your budget?

we have 3 kids What are their ages or grades?

and looking To move to a good neighborhood for family's with a good school ditrict. Students attend a "School" (or school feeder) NOT a "school ditrict".

Both my kids have IEP's Not having a clue what this means, I googled it. Does this mean that your kids have a program ?? & do you have "3 kids" or two kids. (you have indicated both).

and need some support from school. What kind of "support"?

I'm a little worried after reading a lot of the school reviews Where did you read these "reviews"?

with really bad bullying issues and that TX dose not have good schools for kids with disabilities...? So you are saying that our state "dose not have good schools" for disabled kids....our entire freaking state??

What is the disability? There are a lot of people on this board who could steer you in the right direction. (although I hope that they don't).

Is bullying really that bad in round rock area? You didn't really ask this question (in this ridiculously rude way) did you??

First....."Round Rock" is a huge suburban city. The "area" is probably 20 miles wide and 10 - 15 miles (north/south). Second....are you asking about RR the CITY? RR the AREA? or RR the ISD? If you are asking about RR the ISD (which I suspect that you are), be advised that 30-40% of RRISD's schools are actually located in Austin.

Is there a neighborhood or school district anyone can recommend?
There are dozens of neighborhoods and schools that might be recommended....but how on earth could a person recommend one without knowing:

- Where's the job located?
- What's the housing budget?
- What's the disability?
- What "help or support" are you requesting?
- What are the ages or grades of the kids who are "disabled"?
- What are the sources of these negative reviews or comments?
- Whether you are looking at RR the City? RR the "area"? or RR the ISD?

This post is a perfect example of how NOT to write an in search of post. I hope other newbies take note and provide the minimum amount of background info needed to give informed opinions & that they are able to avoid insulting an entire town (or area.....or school district ) right out of the chute.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
I agree with Austin-HomeGirl, but want to add a caveat. While schools in the western side of RRISD and Leander have good schools, I wouldn't say they're focused on helping kids who need extra support. Those schools tend to be more focused on achieving excellent status, and less focused on providing support for those kids who aren't the most successful students. I wouldn't choose to knowingly put two children with IEPs in the Westwood High School feeder pattern (west Round Rock ISD). I would recommend the feeder pattern that attends McNeil high school within RRISD. I'm less excited about Leander ISD. They have beautiful new schools and excellent sports/educational facilities - but they're extremely conservative and still allow corporal punishment. So depending on how you feel about that, it might make your decision easier.

Northwest Austin ISD in the Anderson High School feeder pattern are good schools.

Best wishes in your search.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 AM

436 posts, read 565,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Northwest Austin ISD in the Anderson High School feeder pattern are good schools.
Anderson high is an AWESOME school for my son who has Autism and I have nothing but great things to say about that school and the people that work there in the special needs department. I have absolutely no good words to say about our experiences with any of the other 5 schools in Austin that I have direct experience with. I have a lot of words to describe our experience with the other Austin schools, most of them would be filtered out by this forums auto filter .

But Anderson high? Oh that school is great.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,568,881 times
Quote:
We are thinking to move to the Austin suburbs from Northern Va. we have 3 kids and looking To move to a good neighborhood for family's with a good school ditrict. Both my kids have IEP's and need some support from school. I'm a little worried after reading a lot of the school reviews with really bad bullying issues and that TX dose not have good schools for kids with disabilities...? is bullying really that bad in round rock area? Is there a neighborhood or school district anyone can recommend?
I think you could have come at this question a bit differently and the wording has offended a few posters. I don't generally think you meant it that way. The main focus of your question is, "what school district (or schools) would best provide support to my children given their current IEP needs?" All schools have an element of bullying, it's how the school addresses it.

I few people had questions about employment and budget. Let's start there. Where is work and how long of a commute is appropriate for you? I know coming from Nova you may feel as though you have a grip on traffic. And you might. But be aware that getting from southern Round Rock (Hesters Crossing) to 183/35 in Austin takes nearly 45 minutes on any rush hour day. Many people suggest finding housing within a reasonable distance of work and interests. What other things are you looking for? Typical suburbia with grocery shopping, parks, box stores? Or do you want that eclectic Austin lifestyle so many people here about? And then, most importantly, budget. Housing is expensive here. Period.

Help us with these things and then we may be able to help you get to the best district for your kiddos needs.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,020,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
OP.....you're mis-informed.....& rude. The comment in red (below) sounds about the same (to me) as "Is the wife beating really that bad in your family"

Other comments & questions in your mis-informed post below:

There are dozens of neighborhoods and schools that might be recommended....but how on earth could a person recommend one without knowing:

- Where's the job located?
- What's the housing budget?
- What's the disability?
- What "help or support" are you requesting?
- What are the ages or grades of the kids who are "disabled"?
- What are the sources of these negative reviews or comments?
- Whether you are looking at RR the City? RR the "area"? or RR the ISD?

This post is a perfect example of how NOT to write an in search of post. I hope other newbies take note and provide the minimum amount of background info needed to give informed opinions & that they are able to avoid insulting an entire town (or area.....or school district ) right out of the chute.
Perhaps OP didn't provide the greatest info but I doubt the intent was to be rude. Quite frankly, the native Texans on these forums seem to believe that the entire world is set up with ISD's and "feeder patterns" and that is not the case. Much of the country sets up school districts that match boundary lines for the communities, counties, or other logical patterns that can be recognized on a map without multiple overlays and interpretive legends. For many people, coming here from anywhere else is challenging because the Texas method of <insert many things here> is very different from where we came from. Have a little patience please.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,020,971 times
Quote:
Let's break this down into more manageable components:
1. We are thinking to move to the Austin suburbs...
Budget?
Job location?
Top criteria for location includes? (Kids activities, commute time to..., favorite shopping...,)
2. ...a good neighborhood for family's with a good school district.
What makes a neighborhood "good" in your eyes?
Pool? Playground? Kids ages?
Budget again plays a role. Most burbs are privacy fenced, small lots, HOA controlled.
3. ...kids have IEP's and need some support from school.
define the needs and the ages for better advice
4. ...reading a lot of the school reviews with really bad bullying issues.
Somewhere between kids being mean, others being soft little flowers that get easily offended, and schools getting the blame for not "raising" someones kids for them, there is likely some blame for multiple parties. We have had some bullying issues, as well as some plain awful behavior (particularly from the middle school girls) that was handled better by some than others. It will vary from classroom to classroom, much less from school to school.
5. TX does not have good schools for kids with disabilities...?
This depends on your frame of reference. TX is not a state with great infrastructure for social services in general. If you are used to a school system that helps identify issues and proactively offers assistance, referrals, or makes a specialized IEP with accommodations - you may need to advocate more than you are used to. Services are available, from what we have seen, but you will need to actively pursue solutions that meet your children's needs and it may be from private outside sources rather than from the school district. Again, more info will help others provide a better framework for what is available.

School districts here are ISD's (Independent School Districts) and they do not always (typically) follow the borders of the communities with logic. They also have "feeder tracks" within the ISD that will map to particular schools based on your address. With the influx of people coming here daily, the school tracks are often changing as the 'burbs are building new schools at an amazing pace to keep up with the growth. Make sure you are looking at current data and information.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:11 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree with Austin-HomeGirl, but want to add a caveat. While schools in the western side of RRISD and Leander have good schools, I wouldn't say they're focused on helping kids who need extra support. Those schools tend to be more focused on achieving excellent status, and less focused on providing support for those kids who aren't the most successful students. I wouldn't choose to knowingly put two children with IEPs in the Westwood High School feeder pattern (west Round Rock ISD). I would recommend the feeder pattern that attends McNeil high school within RRISD. I'm less excited about Leander ISD. They have beautiful new schools and excellent sports/educational facilities - but they're extremely conservative and still allow corporal punishment. So depending on how you feel about that, it might make your decision easier.

Best wishes in your search.
Uh, there are "good schools" on the eastern side of Round Rock (the city, not RRISD), WTH??

I don't think the OP's post was necessarily rude at all. Misinformed, yes. In any event, it's hard to say about bullying. I'd assume it'd be the same as schools elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh, there are "good schools" on the eastern side of Round Rock (the city, not RRISD), WTH??

I don't think the OP's post was necessarily rude at all. Misinformed, yes. In any event, it's hard to say about bullying. I'd assume it'd be the same as schools elsewhere.
Yes, there are, I'm sure that's true. I don't know enough about the schools there to recommend them or speak about them. I know RR High School has a good reputation. But I don't know about their elementary schools - most of the Title 9 schools in RRISD are on the east side.

And I specifically said the eastern side of RRISD, not the eastern side of Round Rock.

I don't think I'd choose to send my child to Voight or Fulkes, if a priority for you as a family is to send your child to a "good" school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin