Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 40,218 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few people asking about what neighborhoods to move into. My question is...does anyone live in an area that is promoting community eco-friendly living? I will be graduating soon and am working towards the graduate program EER at UT. Earth Energy Resources for those who are not familiar. My bachelors of science is in Construction Systems, and minor in Geology: Environmental Impacts.
My goal is to find a community willing to sacrifice a few 'every day' luxuries such as personal outdoor space/sprawl, cars, low efficiency appliances/electrical consumption and move towards a common goal of general reduction in expenses and reliability on current infastructures. Nothing big, just eco minded ideas and concepts
These topics may be a bit too much for this forum, but I need to get as much information out there as possible if I want to find the right setting. I would be more than enthusiastic to discuss this in more detail if someone wants to spawn a new forum topic...just let me know.
anyways back to my main question... please let me know if there are others out there looking for the same info or those who know of apartment complexes are small communities already participating in this.
idealy i would like to focus on an urban setting. less driving more walking, rooftop or backyard greenspace, and commmunity participation.

Last edited by bdb280; 12-04-2006 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb280 View Post
...does anyone live in an area that is promoting community eco-friendly living?
You'll probably have to do a Web search on this topic. I've done it in the past and found a few communities. The Rhizome Collective probably has a complete listing of all the local hotspots and organizations. Austin has a ton of stuff going on in this realm but I'm just not familiar with it. Perhaps someone else will respond with better info, or I might help out with some searching of my own.

If you search the terms "Rhizome Collective", "Austin" and "sustainable" you'll find most of what you're looking for. The RC is pretty radical, there are much more mainstream groups in addition to them but I just can't recall their names off the top of my wobbly head.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:31 PM

122 posts, read 180,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb280 View Post
There are quite a few people asking about what neighborhoods to move into. My question is...does anyone live in an area that is promoting community eco-friendly living? I will be graduating soon and am working towards the graduate program EER at UT. Earth Energy Resources for those who are not familiar. My bachelors of science is in Construction Systems, and minor in Geology: Environmental Impacts.
My goal is to find a community willing to sacrifice a few 'every day' luxuries such as personal outdoor space/sprawl, cars, low efficiency appliances/electrical consumption and move towards a common goal of general reduction in expenses and reliability on current infastructures. Nothing big, just eco minded ideas and concepts
These topics may be a bit too much for this forum, but I need to get as much information out there as possible if I want to find the right setting. I would be more than enthusiastic to discuss this in more detail if someone wants to spawn a new forum topic...just let me know.
anyways back to my main question... please let me know if there are others out there looking for the same info or those who know of apartment complexes are small communities already participating in this.
idealy i would like to focus on an urban setting. less driving more walking, rooftop or backyard greenspace, and commmunity participation.

Their was talk going around about what you are looking for around the year 2000. Some builders were really looking into the idea of a eco friendly homes and condo's. What the problem is that are you willing to spend TWICE the amount of price per square foot for such a house. Basically it came down to money so their was never really a demand for 300k 900sqft condos and 600k houses zero lots downtown. Their are some green builders but their building guide lines are very basic.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnelson View Post
...What the problem is that are you willing to spend TWICE the amount of price per square foot for such a house.
Hmmm.... I've heard much more positive info about this topic than what you're saying, so I'm skeptical. The City of Austin even has subsidies or rebates for green building. An environmental group rated Austin as one of the 3 "greenest" cities in the nation (along with Portland and Boulder) recently.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 40,218 times
thanks for the input... I may have to focus on staying close to what I need and participating in programs in the area. I may just have to be an idustry leader in the near future and create what I'm looking for! I've been able to locate what look to be decent apartments around the area where Whole Foods is located. Deeptrance, Ive also heard some positive and hopefull news as you have mentioned.... I try and stay up to date through EcoAustin and Central Ohio round table (i currently live in Columbus Ohio)... thanks again all and i will try and post any new info I find

Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 18,520 times
i've been contemplating relocating to austin from los angeles... and have been doing a lot of online research... i was interested in the idea of a green community, too... and came across the "Mueller community," a mixed use urban village, master plan by the Roma Design Group... you might find their site of interest... muelleraustin.com/about.html (broken link)

Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 AM

4 posts, read 18,520 times
i also happened on some links re: Cohousing and Intentional Communities in Austin area on the "about" search engine.
http://austin.about.com/od/cohousing/Cohousing_and_Intentional_Communities.htm (broken link)

Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 AM

45 posts, read 275,539 times
Default sustainable living in the 'burbs

Am relocating from the UK to Austin, for a 2 year assignment with Dell @ Parmer Lane E. Looking at living inRound Rock & Cedar Park areas.

I've never lived in the US. Just wondering how much of a sustainable lifestyle you can have in suburbia? eg recyling facilities, cycle lanes, walking buses to school etc.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 19,550 times
I am also considering a move to Austin in the near future and I have a similar desire to find an eco-community as described.

I came across this place which is kinda cute and has some conservation aspects going for it: http://www.heatherwoodtx.com/

Unfortunately it's in Dripping Springs which hurts in the transit department.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Sustainable 'burbs - an oxymoron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by categ View Post
Am relocating from the UK to Austin, for a 2 year assignment with Dell @ Parmer Lane E. Looking at living inRound Rock & Cedar Park areas.

I've never lived in the US. Just wondering how much of a sustainable lifestyle you can have in suburbia? eg recyling facilities, cycle lanes, walking buses to school etc.
Distance between locations, zoning laws and an orientation towards automobiles make it difficult to live "sustainably" in any American suburb, especially those in the booming south and southwestern parts of the country. At the same time, within many new suburban housing developments there is a strong trend towards incorporating hiking and biking opportunities, parks, and other attractive amenities. Any city in the Austin metro area provides recycling services, to varying degrees. In the worst cases there are exclusive snooty neighborhoods where residents aren't allowed to put their recycling bins out for pickup, so people have to do it on their own. An example of this is the Barton Country Club area, but you're looking at much more middle-class areas so you probably won't encounter that particular odd restriction.

You're very unlikely to find a cohousing or other type of eco-community in Williamson County, which is a very conservative area that votes solid Republican and has a reputation for rather harsh enforcement of laws against non-conformists (such as pot smokers and anyone who looks "different.") In Austin we call Williamson County "South Dallas" because it really has more in common with Dallas than it does with Austin.

Those are just MY opinions. Hopefully you'll hear from someone who lives in the area and isn't as judgmental against suburban living as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin