Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Probably because most of us don't want them? We do attics, instead!

Supply and demand, in other words. But the thing that you're describing is really not all that uncommon, with our hills and such. Just don't think of them as a "basement", because to us, a basement is something that is enclosed by dirt on all four sides and may or may not be finished out.

Just a difference in terminology, mostly, it appears, for what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM

31 posts, read 117,178 times
Well see, there ya go. Four sides of dirt is what we would call a cellar . . . where you keep the good wine . As for not wanting them, I think that is debatable. Can an attic provide 1700 sqft of open usable space, remain moderate temp year round, and have seperate entry so you can dismiss your late night poker buddies without disturbing a sleeping family 2 stories up? The other alternative that I can think of is to purchase more acreage and just add on. But then you have to consider something farther away like maybe Dripping Springs?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Many of the lots at the Ridge at Altavista have a slight grade (front to back) or have been escavated to easily lend a basement installation and they do! My wife did some research and found that a seperate company located in Georgetown, TX is the sole contractor for the basement installations for this Toll Brothers community.
That's interesting. I thought all the west Austin area had limestone right below the surface (look at the sides of hwy 360 -- there are mere inches of topsoil supporting all those oaks, cedars and grasses.. below that is solid limestone!)... maybe they re-graded the area first?

You can excavate it, and many people do for pools, but it is at a signficantly higher expense than digging a pool where there is soil and clay. I wouldn't expect a builder to go to that expense when it is not specifically requested, especially because it is not the norm for houses in this area.

But if they do, great! It would make a lot more sense as "bonus area" temperature-wise than an attic.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Wouldn't having a basement in a hill country area be prone to flooding, especially in areas common to flash floods?

I've owned homes with basements, and unless you have a really good working subpump, you can end up with an indoor swimming pool.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Can an attic provide 1700 sqft of open usable space, remain moderate temp year round, and have seperate entry so you can dismiss your late night poker buddies without disturbing a sleeping family 2 stories up?

It can (our attic has as much square feet of open usable space as our house does) if properly insulated. Interestingly, in a lot of older homes (and some newer ones) in the Austin area,the attic is finished out as a room and has an outside entrance with stairs. Sometimes they have their own bathroom, as well. It's the "teenager" room or sometimes rented out, or used as an office, or any number of other things. Apparently serves the same purpose as the "walkout basement" that you're describing.

By the way, the homes that I described with the bottom floor sort of into the hillside? They frequently, even if they're the bedroom wing, have their own outside entrance, as well. I've seen them more often in East Texas, though, where the soil is not so problematical.

We have a "cellar" - what my grandmother called her root cellar, but in our case is a bit more fancy, because it's an actual storm shelter that we had installed after the F5 went by. (We're in Jarrell.) In both cases (hers and mine), it's a ways from the house, and you're right, it's a great place to keep wine!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,763 times
Smile Hi Austin!!

Hi Austin,
How are you?

I've never been to Austin, but I was raised in Alpharetta, so if they are anything alike, sounds like a wonderful place.

In answer to your questions:
1) There are plenty of homes with "finished" basements. Your buddies can exit without disturbing the family 2 floors up. And, there are plenty of these homes that are up on hills, so flooding, etc. would never be a problem (not that it is in ATL anyways, unless you are positioned at the bottom of a hill).

2) I have worked with Toll Brothers before, but not on the particular project you mentioned.

The good news is there are A LOT of options. You will not need to buy a bigger lot and build, the perfect thing you need is already out there.

Last edited by The Winter Group; 03-27-2008 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin