Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,120 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate to Austin. We are both in our "late" 20s and we currently have no children or pets. We live near Pittsburgh but we are finding it hard to find lasting good paying jobs. Neither of us have a degree but we have extensive experience in our fields.
Does anyone have any suggestions of companies that are willing to hire people relocating to the area? We are coming down in this month to check out some neighborhoods (any suggestions?) And hopefully make some connections that can lead to job opportunities.
We are just trying to start a better life for ourselves so we can feel comfortable having a family that we can support. If you have any suggestions please drop me a line. I am willing to try whatever it takes to make a better life for us. We both are tired of working 2 jobs each just to make ends meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 10:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Gonna depend a lot on the "fields" . Lots of folks here working two jobs to keep 'living the dream' that is Austin.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
It might depend on what your "fields" are. If you are able to be hired by Apple or Amazon or Facebook, because you have extensive tech experience, and are extremely creative, this might be the place for you.

Otherwise, Austin has one of the highest costs of living in the country. If you don't have marketable skills for the area, you probably should look to a place with a lower cost of living to make a fresh start.

Best wishes.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:02 AM

181 posts, read 429,506 times
I moved from Pittsburgh to Austin 7 years ago, Back then when you looked it up Austin was about the same as Pittsburgh or Cleveland as far as cost of living goes. It has gone up a lot, with housing and rent leading the way. You will not get any kind of decent apartment with out a current job, even if you offer to pay the whole year in advance.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:00 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,567 times
Quote:
Otherwise, Austin has one of the highest costs of living in the country.
It has one of the highest costs of living in the state. California, New York, and parts of Colorado have us beat nationally, and the configuration in Austin is also different with the high property tax but no income tax.

Most lists I've seen put us in the 30s or thereabouts in city rankings by COL.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
I did the opposite- Austin for 13 years, then to Pittsburgh. It really depends on what your fields are. The cost of living in Pittsburgh is much cheaper as far as housing and rent goes, and the salaries are about the same. But there is no state tax in Texas, and the gas is a lot cheaper.

Apple, Amazon, Google- those companies are in Pittsburgh too.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:03 PM

74 posts, read 91,357 times
You could work in one of Homeaway's call centers. Starting pay is $14 and after 6 months of working the phones, you can apply for internal positions. The benefits are great. They even offer 12 weeks of paternity leave since they are now owned by expedia.
I wouldn't move here without having family to stay with to help you get your bearings. You can't get an apartment without providing proof of income or a cosigner.
Why Austin?
It would be better to go somewhere with a cheaper cost of living. Unfortunately, nowhere comes to mind. :/
Good luck!

Old 07-05-2017, 01:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Most yinzers wouldn't last 3 summers here...

Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 PM

240 posts, read 272,112 times
Yeah, I'd think Pittsburgh would be a lot better place to live with a lower cost of living. There's that pesky winter thing though.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Why Austin? Please come and visit and then decide. Also have jobs before moving. And choose where you're living based on job due to traffic. Or suffer the 1-2 hour commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin