Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 37,318 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We are thinking about buying a new home in "Parkside at Mayfield Ranch" on Sam Bass Road and FM1431, next to the williamson county regional park.
3005 CR-175, Georgetown, TX 78628 - Google Maps

The area is pretty interesting in terms of location. It is right in the middle of round rock, georgetown and cederpark.

It has:
Leander ISD schools -
Round Rock ETJ & - Building Code and possible merger with RR in future.
George Town address. - Means serviced by that postoffice.

It is going to be a MUD - Municipal Utility district and total tax rate of around 2.93%.

What I read on these forums is to avoid MUD's because you will likely see higher utility bills etc. What I am being told by the Builders is that MUD only provides the infrastructure for water and sewerage and they charge for that through a tax. So there is no real disadvantage for this being MUD.

- You pay taxes for MUD but not much higher than what you pay the city.
- Utilities are still provided by same companies(water/electricity) so that cost does not rise being in a MUD.

I am thinking that a little higher tax rate might get offset by better appreciation in this community as they are starting out.

Does anybody have a different view on this or there is still some catch here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,296 times
We had a MUD at our old home, and the water, sewage and trash were higher than some of the surrounding neighborhoods. There are extra taxes, but those go down as the debt gets paid off and more people share in the burden. Also sometimes the MUD gets adopted by the city.

You should ask your realtor to get some rate comparisons from the surrounding neighborhoods. If there is a large difference this can affect your resale value down the road. Just remember the builders representatives will tell you whatever sells houses.

That being said, I do think that most new subdivisions outside of city limits start off with a MUD district. You just need to make sure the rates are in line with the area. You do not want a $300 water bill.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I agree with Jenkirk. If the debts are too high the city may not want to annex you.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 31,527 times
I think most of the communities in that area off of 1431 are in a MUD though, so that community may be average for the area. Thats just one of the prices you pay not to be crammed into the city. I live in a mud in that area myself and noticed the variation in sourounding areas is not usually greater than 500 a year or so between all the areas. Brushy creek is still a MUD and that place has been there forever, they paid a fraction of the price they are worth now though, (if they bought early) so I guess they arent complaining.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
how many hours up I-35 is that?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Brushy Creek subdivision is off the exit for 620 and then you go west. If you're travelling to/from downtown Austin then it's less than 1 hour and not hours and then it depends on when you are travelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin