U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM

438 posts, read 382,814 times

Advertisements

Another thread derailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I love new york but definitely dont want to live there. Austin is relatively unique with its intersection of huge urban parks/lake/recreation and big enough size to have amenities, but not so crowded that everything is a big mess.

Cities with the huge urban parks/recreation tend to be more rural or very small.

Cities with the amenities tend not to have the big urban parks.

I like portland, Nashville, and even denver is pretty nice.

I personally could adjust to living almost anywhere and see the value in all kinds of city types.
I agree. 10 years ago I left NYC for Austin, because I was sick of how crowded it was. It also helped that my wife and her family were from Travis County. I can say, and maybe this is just me, that NYC is EVEN MORE crowded now. I was visiting family and could barely handle more than a few hours in the city, especially in the summer. So what I'm saying is, it's not THAT bad yet.

That said, while it's gotten more crowded in just 10 years, I think it's a larger trend in the country in general.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:06 PM

11,305 posts, read 9,995,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
Yes it does because partisan politics are how governments get corrupt and cause 99% of the problems we argue about. Democrats cause the problems. Democrats engineer civil ruin. On purpose.
Oh laud, have a margarita and chill.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:40 PM

20,617 posts, read 38,655,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
Yes it does because partisan politics are how governments get corrupt and cause 99% of the problems we argue about. Democrats cause the problems. Democrats engineer civil ruin. On purpose.
Nope. It does ONLY to those people who are addicted to (a) what they think is politics and (b) treating politics as football where "other team bad, my team good" is the way to think, rather than accepting responsibility for each party's, INCLUDING one's own's, part in messing up things, and use it to express their tribalism rather than coherent thought.

But you've just dragged me into at least a minimal discussion of politics. I think I'll take some excellent advice, have a margarita, and chill, instead.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 PM

24 posts, read 22,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
Austin used to be full of authentic original people. Now it's full of plastic people doing their best to act like the original Austinites. Everything is a shadow of what it once was. Events that used to be free or donation only, are now huge corporate events full of alcohol sales and bag checks at the gate. Austin is an amusement park designed after the original Austin. Except it's just a mirage for the drunk bored people here to waste all their money on.

Keep Austin weird is now keep Austin drunk and entertained...
Of course, everything was always better back in the past. I disagree. The "new Austinites" are not any worse than the "original Austinites". Austin is a city that is on the upswing, and people are finally giving it a chance.

It's interesting how you mention events used to be free or donation only, but in reality there is no way those same events would continue to exist if they remained free of charge. Musicians and entertainers need to make a living too. Art is not a free, public good. The cover charge, the alcohol, the souvenirs, the band merchandise, etc. is how the people who contribute to making these events worthwhile earn their money so that they can actually have a roof over their heads. If anything, I advise you to spend your money help the people who make Austin great earn their living so that they can stay in Austin.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM

696 posts, read 696,379 times
We lived in Austin from 1998-2011 and it was clearly shifting by the time we left (and - I know - had shifted a lot before we arrived, too). I went to sleep last night reminiscing about how it was when we were first there, and it seems like a dream. Focusing on food, I remembered Las Manitas, La Feria, The Tree House, and Jaime's. Many would probably say that any or all of those places were mediocre at best, but I loved the vibe at all of them, "back in the day." Also, I loved that although we lived north-ish (Hyde Park, then Allandale) traffic did not discourage us a bit from going to those places further south.

Oh well. Things change.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,393,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
We lived in Austin from 1998-2011 and it was clearly shifting by the time we left (and - I know - had shifted a lot before we arrived, too). I went to sleep last night reminiscing about how it was when we were first there, and it seems like a dream. Focusing on food, I remembered Las Manitas, La Feria, The Tree House, and Jaime's. Many would probably say that any or all of those places were mediocre at best, but I loved the vibe at all of them, "back in the day." Also, I loved that although we lived north-ish (Hyde Park, then Allandale) traffic did not discourage us a bit from going to those places further south.

Oh well. Things change.
I lived there about the same years. I still get back and visit friends.

I don't see why its such a slap in the face to say that when I moved there in the late 90s that I liked it way better than when I left in 2012. Because quite frankly, I did.

I liked the small city vibe and being able to live out in the country in Round Rock when O'Connor Drive ended right down the street. Doesn't make it a bad place now, its just not different than other big cities.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,393,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
Austin used to be full of authentic original people. Now it's full of plastic people doing their best to act like the original Austinites. Everything is a shadow of what it once was. Events that used to be free or donation only, are now huge corporate events full of alcohol sales and bag checks at the gate. Austin is an amusement park designed after the original Austin. Except it's just a mirage for the drunk bored people here to waste all their money on.

Keep Austin weird is now keep Austin drunk and entertained...
Drunk and entertained- I'm glad I'm not the only one to see it.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 AM

5,906 posts, read 7,679,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Hey. They didn't come up with "Keep Austin Weird". They stole it.

That said. You could always go to Albuquerque, Phoenix, Norman, OKC, Little Rock... none of those places are ever in danger of "losing" who they are now.
WTH...what a ridiculous comment. This is why Austin is hated by many on C-D.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:16 AM

20,617 posts, read 38,655,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76
Hey. They didn't come up with "Keep Austin Weird". They stole it.

That said. You could always go to Albuquerque, Phoenix, Norman, OKC, Little Rock... none of those places are ever in danger of "losing" who they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
WTH...what a ridiculous comment. This is why Austin is hated by many on C-D.
I'm assuming you're referring to the second part of that.

The part about Keep Austin Weird is absolutely true. And when the phrase was invented it had NOTHING to do with local business. I know - I have one of the original free bumperstickers handed out free to friends and acquaintances by Red, the creator of the phrase way back when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or