Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:37 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,452 times

Advertisements

Live in Leander
DH and I are new emptynester's looking for things to do. We don't get a lot of common days off and it will always be either a Saturday or Sunday.

We are not outdoorsy, have no desire to take a hike or a long outdoor walk in the heat.

Here are a couple of examples of our recent ventures:
Austin Botanical Gardens - did this in April before the oven turned on.
Took a drive up to Greens Sausage in Zabcikville, had lunch, bought some sausage and took the back roads home stopping in GeorgeTown for the craft faire.
Lake Buchannon - We took the lost rivers boat cruise
Long Horn Caverns
Drove out to Pace Bend Park, took a picnic and floated the afternoon away in Mud Cove.

We are looking for those hidden things that the "locals" know of.
Willing to drive 2-2.5 hours in each direction
We enjoy diners and BBQ - we are not real foodies, simple works for us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
There's a program on KLRU, Austin's PBS channel called "The Day Tripper with Chet Garner" Originally, the theme of the show is to inform the viewer of day trips, mostly from Austin but lately the Day Tripper has been daytripping all over Texas, from El Paso to Orange and Amarillio down to Brownsville and nearly every place in between. The Daytripper takes the viewer to all the fun things to while they are in town. They will usually eat at some of the most popular restaraunts in each city or town he's filming and he gives a review while at the restaraunt. It's a very interesting, entertaing and and informative fun, as Chet Garner has a positive upbeat personality.

Here's a link to the program

The Daytripper | with Chet Garner

And here's a link to the episodes of all the cities they Daytripped to.

Episodes | The Daytripper

You might also want to check ino A Texas Tour guide that has all kinds of information of just about every city, town, village in Texas. The book is free, and can be found in the Texas Capitol and "Welcome Stations", located at most points of entry into the State of Texas. You can also order that book thru an 800 number and, I'm guessing you can order it on line.

Hope those links helps you out some.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-12-2017 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
I love Day Tripper!!! It's a really great show. A goofy staff of Texans crammed in a Subaru, driving all over the state and finding fun and zany things to do. It's spurred more than one adventure for my husband and I.

A few of my favorite Austin day trips:

Swimming and picnic lunch at Krause Springs.
Wine tasting in Driftwood or Fredericksburg.
A short hike to Pedernales Falls.
Spoetzel Brewery in Shiner, TX.
Goliad State Park.
Llano.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Enchanted Rock. May be best in cooler weather.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 AM

104 posts, read 157,167 times
There are tons of great websites that zero in on Hill Country things to do. Also, lots of videos to allow you to see where you will be going on that big video "site" I am not allowed to mention.

There is also a big trip forum with great reviews and answers.

I love San Antonio, San Marcos, Fredericksburg (see videos), Kerrville, Granbury, Salado, LaGrange, Waco and Bastrop for day trips.

Also, look at calendar of events for Texas and go when there is a festival.

If you are into junk and/or antiques then do not miss the twice a year week long festival that goes for many miles in Round Top/Warrenton area.

Also, Texas Country Reporter has a great festival in the Fall in Waxahachie that is great fun.

West, Texas near Waco has nice German Fest every year.

Hidden secret locals recommend? That would be near Austin, Westcave Preserve, Hamilton Pool and Blue Hole (Wimberley).

Lastly, Georgetown was voted Most Beautiful Square and it is. GT is loaded with beautiful hiking trails, shops and great food. Check out their website and videos.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkribbonaustin View Post
There are tons of great websites that zero in on Hill Country things to do. Also, lots of videos to allow you to see where you will be going on that big video "site" I am not allowed to mention.

There is also a big trip forum with great reviews and answers.

I love San Antonio, San Marcos, Fredericksburg (see videos), Kerrville, Granbury, Salado, LaGrange, Waco and Bastrop for day trips.

Also, look at calendar of events for Texas and go when there is a festival.

If you are into junk and/or antiques then do not miss the twice a year week long festival that goes for many miles in Round Top/Warrenton area.

Also, Texas Country Reporter has a great festival in the Fall in Waxahachie that is great fun.

West, Texas near Waco has nice German Fest every year.

Hidden secret locals recommend? That would be near Austin, Westcave Preserve, Hamilton Pool and Blue Hole (Wimberley).

Lastly, Georgetown was voted Most Beautiful Square and it is. GT is loaded with beautiful hiking trails, shops and great food. Check out their website and videos.
I thought the fest at West was Czech not German....its a czech town so i am a bit confused on why they would have a German fest there.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:37 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
You can do San Antonio, or Gruene.

You can do Dallas and Fort Worth on a weekend trip.

We do Houston on a weekend trip.

Port Aransas and Corpus on a weekend trip.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
We like to take Amtrak from Austin to Dallas and stay at the Omni just a block from the station. The views of downtown are spectacular from their swanky rooftop pool, which is always a party. The Amtrak route passes through some really beautiful scenery. We book a roomette, which gives you a nice private place to hang out on the ride plus it includes meals in the dining room. That's breakfast and lunch on the way to Dallas and lunch and dinner coming home. Pretty good deal. It's a really fun and relaxing weekend that requires no driving.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:02 PM

483 posts, read 532,709 times
A couple of things right in town that I've done that aren't hiking / outdoors:

-The Texas Military Forces Museum on Camp Mabry - if you are a military / history buff this one is great, when I was there they were moving the Sherman tank, got to see it actually drive

-The LBJ presidential library - especially the replica oval office

-The bullock museum and 4D movie theater

I still want to see the museum of the war int he pacific in Fredericksburg and the LBJ ranch in Johnson City.

For outdoors day trip I like swimming in Blanco state park, I find the drive out there scenic.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Before "Fixer Upper" becomes just a cliche', you could combine a trip to Waco for a tour of their place and a visit to the Texas Ranger Museum.The Official Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco, Texas | Ranked one of the Best Texas Museums | Western History Museum

Magnolia Market Fixer Upper Tour of Waco - Dukes and Duchesses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin