Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:56 PM

20 posts, read 23,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
You have options, depending on some personal preferences. In order to get a more relaxed feel and get out of the "rat race", what are you willing to give up? Do you need lake views and hill country or can you work with some land and a pool in a very good school district? Check out this listing as an example in Georgetown. Gtown schools are good, with multiple options including a college prep charter school. Another example in the same area is on just over 2 acres and hits the budget too.

Leander options in your price range are fairly plentiful, with this one being a house I would love. It all just depends on what you want, and what are your key needs? Cedar Park, another area with excellent schools and plenty of options in your price range, but you need to come see if that is an area you want to live in. It really is going to come down to your preferences and what is your long term vision?
I don't necessarily think we need views. We want trees, we want friendly neighbors, space for a pool (clearly possible if we have a couple acres), and maybe a separate out building/garage. We already live in the ultimate in convenience and I do not expect that when we move. I have a Target a mile away currently but we also have heinous traffic and prices. The land and the community are the most important to me, and schools probably too. A place with history and character and friendly people is really what we're looking for. Those are good house options, especially like the Leander one but all are about what we're thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, native Texan speaking up here, but I show a lot of property to people relocating to the area so see what's out there a lot. You can find what you're looking for with a Texas feel several places in your price range, but Liberty Hill and Georgetown keep popping up in my brain and on the MLS (and some parts of Hutto - Georgetown and Hutto tend to run together in places - there are places with Hutto addresses that are closer to Georgetown and vice versa, in the acreage subdivisions) - there are several homes from resale to new build on from 3 to 6 acres - a couple up to 10 - in both of those communities that might fit the bill for you. Liberty Hill is a bit more "out there" in feel but still has relatively easy access to amenities. Another place that hasn't been mentioned but might be worth looking at because they have what you're describing, that is a bit far but is really no further than Liberty Hill is Salado. Sort of an artist's colony town with a Texas feel.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa914 View Post
Work is in Round Rock and/or Austin, I believe. (he stays at the Domaine a lot and I think that is near the office). That being said, he is home based so wouldn't be going into the office daily. ALSO - we're really interested in areas north like Georgetown, etc. We live in massive suburban sprawl now with increasing traffic, crime and crowded schools (never mind the crazy prices) and have no interest in replicating this environment for me or our family in TX. So really hoping to find a smallish town with friendly people where we can buy a house on a couple acres. I want Texas culture and history in our neighborhood/town, not a bunch of other California transplants. So that is the hope anyway!
So, if he's 'working from home' does that mean he needs a good/fast/reliable INTERNET connection?
Just asking, because 'acreage' AND 'high speed internet' can really narrow down the selection on the rural outskirts of any metro . . . be sure to include in criteria if important.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa914 View Post
I don't necessarily think we need views. We want trees, we want friendly neighbors, space for a pool (clearly possible if we have a couple acres), and maybe a separate out building/garage. We already live in the ultimate in convenience and I do not expect that when we move. I have a Target a mile away currently but we also have heinous traffic and prices. The land and the community are the most important to me, and schools probably too. A place with history and character and friendly people is really what we're looking for. Those are good house options, especially like the Leander one but all are about what we're thinking.
Where I live in Round Rock, there's trees everywhere. I have a pool with spa, a separate grassy area, a large rose garden, and a large landscaped area - all on a half acre. you don't need a couple of acres to have space. We have shopping a mile away, and even more shopping 5 miles away. Leander is nice, though I would say it's the hill country views and not necessarily "history" and "character". You'll probably live in a suburban subdivision. Friendly people are everywhere, and so are douchebags.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

420 posts, read 403,344 times
I wouldn't write off something a little closer in. I was about to suggest Breakaway Park in Cedar Park, but holy Toledo! I had no idea those were million dollar homes now!

However, if you go just down the road from there, there's a few spots around Brushy Bend, which is a very pretty area and super convenient to a few more amenities.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
So, if he's 'working from home' does that mean he needs a good/fast/reliable INTERNET connection?
Just asking, because 'acreage' AND 'high speed internet' can really narrow down the selection on the rural outskirts of any metro . . . be sure to include in criteria if important.
THIS IS REAL!! I have friends on acreage with no internet service at all and no means to get it. Definitely be sure to double check!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
THIS IS REAL!! I have friends on acreage with no internet service at all and no means to get it. Definitely be sure to double check!
I've been through this recently - had Western Broadband/ecpi for years quite happily and then technology changed and the new technology can't deal with (a) the hill behind our house and (b) someone nearby who uses something that interferes with service. I did a lot of research and we ended up with Hughes.net, which appears to be working nicely (first time we've used satellite).

One thing I learned during the research process for a replacement service was that, apparently, all internet providers suck. Every single one of them. Just ask and you'll hear.

But this is a real concern. Doesn't mean that you can't get it, but you do need to be aware of topography and such.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
This is an excellent point. We tend to think the whole world has internet access and I am here to testify that it does not.

We moved from Reno NV to Horseshoe Bay in the spring of 2012 - we rented for a year to get the lay of the land. I was being relocated to Marble Fall and we were told Llano had great schools, Marble Falls did not so Horseshoe Bay was Llano schools and that is where we went.

The property manager assured us the property had full amenities including cable and internet.........we should have checked, I mean thoroughly checked.

When we went to arrange to get things hooked up, (the week before the big move), we learned that what we had been told was not the case. No cable, no landline for a phone and no decent internet. We were able to get internet but it was slow, unreliable and stupid expensive. We ended up with satellite TV of some sort that was ok.

We also didn't realize that the 26 miles to the school in Llano was going to equal 4 hours a day on a bus for our 7th grader - that was us not doing full diligence although we thought we had "thought to check everything".

We could not get out of that area fast enough. We dubbed it "bug tussel"

Moved to Leander - Civilization! Great schools, cell, landlines, cable/satellite options and several internet options as well. Sold!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this is a GREAT point. We definitely need fast internet. Something to think about.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, native Texan speaking up here, but I show a lot of property to people relocating to the area so see what's out there a lot. You can find what you're looking for with a Texas feel several places in your price range, but Liberty Hill and Georgetown keep popping up in my brain and on the MLS (and some parts of Hutto - Georgetown and Hutto tend to run together in places - there are places with Hutto addresses that are closer to Georgetown and vice versa, in the acreage subdivisions) - there are several homes from resale to new build on from 3 to 6 acres - a couple up to 10 - in both of those communities that might fit the bill for you. Liberty Hill is a bit more "out there" in feel but still has relatively easy access to amenities. Another place that hasn't been mentioned but might be worth looking at because they have what you're describing, that is a bit far but is really no further than Liberty Hill is Salado. Sort of an artist's colony town with a Texas feel.
Thank you TexasHorseLady! This is super helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin