Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 PM

20 posts, read 58,659 times

Advertisements

We have ants in our bathroom normally. But today my wife saw these little winged things, we checked and they do not look like termites, but we've never seen them in our house before. There were only 3-4 of them, and obviously we got rid of them, but anything like that makes me nervous, so I thought I'd check and see if anyone else in the area has seen anything similar recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Did you take a picture and try to reverse google search it? Termites look like winged ants. If you "normally" have ants in your bathroom, that's also not good and you could have carpenter ants eating the wood.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,522 times
We've been having some random winged insects in our home recently too. I didn't take a pic of them, but my husband looked them up and they look like some form of a termite, not the usual kind. Sorry I can't give more information, I really didn't pay much attention to what he was saying about it because I really was not all that worried about it....until it eats my house...lol

Old 07-31-2017, 06:00 AM

20 posts, read 58,659 times
We usually have sugar ants in the kitchen, and these in the bathroom (not the winged ones), but they are more prevalent in summer. Anyway I got a picture and showed it too a friend, apparently he called it a winged fire ant.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 AM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
Drones. Winged male ants who are doing their part for the colony. They are about to fly around (your house apparently) and look for a winged female princess to hook up with and start a new ant colony. Not really dangerous, just an indicator that you have a thriving colony somewhere in the bathroom. If you dont like them then keep the place clean and start leaving out some appropriate bait traps. Or call an exterminator.

Personally I have always tolerated most fire ants to a degree in the household proper. If you have ants in your house, you usually do not have a lot of other insects. Ants do not tolerate any trespassers at all.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 AM

712 posts, read 841,995 times
Those are 'swarmers' ; when a termite (or ant) colony is successfully thriving and growing, they produce (thousands) of swarmers that fly away to new location to start a new colony. They 'look different' than normal termites (darker) because they have hardened exoskeleton to withstand the harsh (to them) dry air to survive exiting your eaten 2x4's; they don't look like the 'normal' white wingless termites.

Those 'few you saw' were the few unlucky ones that didn't make it back into the walls at a new location to begin munching on nice fresh 2x4's so that they can have their own thriving colony, etc.
The dead ones out in the open are nothing to worry about. It's the hundreds, (or thousands) that DID find their way back in . . . .

Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Drones. Winged male ants who are doing their part for the colony. They are about to fly around (your house apparently) and look for a winged female princess to hook up with and start a new ant colony.
(Ant opens up a bottle of Ant Private Reserve wine and pours wine into two ant-sized wine glasses)
(Queen ant and drone ant sit down on the edge of the bed and look into each other' eyes as Marvin Gaye plays in background)

Old 08-02-2017, 10:55 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
We have ants in our bathroom
Hey, at least you don't have ants in your PANTS!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:29 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Hey, at least you don't have ants in your PANTS!
I've actually HAD ants in my pants. It's not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin