U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM

94 posts, read 49,524 times

Advertisements

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/six-ci...-headquarters/

This article provides some strong points on why Austin would be a good fit for Amazon's second Headquarters. Especially with them acquiring Whole foods it might be even more compelling to make Austin as its second HQ. Given the abundance of tech talent and comparatively cheaper real estate when compared to other big "Hi-Tech" cities, Austin might have a bright chance for landing this (albeit the traffic concerns).

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 PM

7,220 posts, read 13,406,842 times
Anything is possible. Toronto is certainly an intriguing possibility. One can make a good case for Austin landing it but we will be fine without Amazon HQ2 as well.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM

6,534 posts, read 9,040,725 times
So many more people. While it would be nice do we think Austin can handle that many more people? And they're all going to have high salaries which will just continue this bubble we're in.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:50 PM

13,110 posts, read 29,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
So many more people. While it would be nice do we think Austin can handle that many more people? And they're all going to have high salaries which will just continue this bubble we're in.
That is awesome as I approach retirement and 'sell out'

Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,262,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
So many more people. While it would be nice do we think Austin can handle that many more people?
We're going to get that many more people regardless.

It's (maybe) 50k employees in the next 20 years. The Austin metro grows almost that much in a single year.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,229,435 times
TX doesn't seem to be quite as big on the incentives bandwagon these days - not that they've suddenly found principles and aren't bribing companies to set up shop (e.g. Apple) but they seem to be doing it less. But if they'd make an exception for anybody, it'd probably be Amazon, particularly with significant Amazon facilities already in Dallas.

I'm not sure where they'd put it. It's not like there's a ton of corporate campus space lying around unused. I guess you could gentrify the poop out of Cameron Road but maybe others on C-D will know better than I do where in Austin would even be a candidate. Southeast out by the airport?

I'd bet that Austin will make the top 10 but get passed over. Outside chance of being selected depending on what other states are willing to give away. We certainly do check a lot of their boxes and I agree with Novacek (gasp) that growth and infrastructure probably aren't big factors.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM

7,220 posts, read 13,406,842 times
Most likely they would want a downtown space, gives them proximity to Whole Foods HQ too. The whole "corporate campus" with low rise buildings out in the burbs is pretty dead. But if that is what they wanted, they could find it in Austin.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,229,435 times
Quote:
The whole "corporate campus" with low rise buildings out in the burbs is pretty dead.
I don't know, I was at Facebook's Menlo Park headquarters last year and it didn't look too dead. They have about 56 acres there for 17,000 people.

Amazon's Seattle HQ has 33 buildings.

I don't see how you could fit that in downtown Austin.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:05 PM

13,110 posts, read 29,430,380 times
Was at Qualcomm's campus a while back (in San Diego), and it was pretty impressive.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 PM

1,195 posts, read 615,236 times
I think Austin actually has the best chance of any Texas city, but is still a longshot overall. The logistics of an urban Amazon campus in Austin would be insane, and I don't think they'd go for a suburban campus there.

But the Whole Foods thing and the fact Austin is an obvious cultural fit for Amazon would definitely give it a leg up on some imo. Austin's actually one of the more interesting possibilities.

Still though, I think this goes to DC area or Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin