U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM

122 posts, read 390,000 times

Advertisements

[We tried that Johnny T's in Round Rock. Did not like at all. The BBQ seemed to be "heated up", not fresh. Also noticed that the parking lot is empty most of the time! My husband says you can judge a good place to eat by the # of cars in the parking lot!

quote=Jenbar;3178432]I don't really like Louie Mueller's but it's a must go, only because it's been featured on so many shows. The brisket is good, but the lack of a real sauce kills it for me. I am not big on au jous.

I love the Salt Lick (food and atmosphere), and it's perfect for out of town guests. I can't wait for the one this summer to open in RR. They claim it's an exact replica, unlike the 360 location.

I went to County Line, and it was just ok. I have heard conflicting reports of Iron Works. I really want to go out to Kreuz's and Smitty's. Heard all good things about those two locations.

I like Rudy's a lot - but you can get better BBQ at Smokey Mo's and Johnny T's.[/quote]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 13,617,822 times
Quote:
We tried that Johnny T's in Round Rock. Did not like at all. The BBQ seemed to be "heated up", not fresh. Also noticed that the parking lot is empty most of the time! My husband says you can judge a good place to eat by the # of cars in the parking lot!
I don't know if we are talking about the same place, because this one is always packed.... plus, it was Round Rock BBQ, prior to it being Johnny's T's Round Rock BBQ - I think the change was just a few months ago. The new owner was the executive chef at Round Rock's Main Street Grill. They have a real pit - and it definitely tastes smoked, to me anyway... we love it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,397,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub77cub View Post
[
I like Rudy's a lot - but you can get better BBQ at Smokey Mo's and Johnny T's.
[/quote]

I beg the differ. We have a Smokey Mo's out in Cedar Park and I am not to fond of there food / there Brisket has to much fat around it (all over)

Rudys - Now IMHO is hard to beat. I love the Brisket they make (extra lean or even moist). I had Coopers out in Burnet (I think) its "OK", Salt Lick (every summer company picnic) and I only like the peach cobbler.

County Line is my 2nd fav. good ribs, but expensive.
Rudys has my Vote and it's right in TOWN and plenty of them

Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,669,221 times
It should be noted that the prime time at the best BBQ joints is 11:30. The quality of meat deteriorates throughout the day.

I don't consider Smokey Mo's to be BBQ since they use an electric smoker...at least at the 183 location.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM

20,963 posts, read 43,026,196 times
If you're going to Taylor, skip Mueller's and go to the Taylor Cafe.

Iron Works is really good. Salt Lick on 360, not so much; the original Salt Lick, much better. (At least, the last time I went.)

If you're going on a road trip, head to Llano and eat at Cooper's, rather than Lockhart (overrated, in my opinion). But if you really want GREAT BBQ, head to City Market in Luling.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 PM

24 posts, read 82,568 times
Default Coming from Georgetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoma14410 View Post
Smitty's is only a 30 minute drive down to Lockhart...there's also a Salt Lick in Davenport Village off 360 just south of the Pennybacker bridge.
Not for this poor Georgetowner...it's an hour's drive to those old school BBQ joints in Lockhart. It will be nice when they open the Salt Lick in Round Rock! I heard the one off 360 isn't quite the same. Seems like others on the post feel the same. Thanks for the comment!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM

Everybody seems to mention Iron Works...I'm going to have to take the beef ribs challenge and see how it compares to county line. I have my doubts, but my stomach says to do it.

achtungpv - what do you mean it deteriorates after 11:30? I thought it could only get better? More smoked the better? That could change the whole dynamic of my lunch hour

Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 PM

1,589 posts, read 4,408,221 times
I have eaten at many of these and although they are all different, quite frankly IMHO they are all great! On not mentioned yet is Mann's BBQ (183 and Ohlen) it is not bad!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,669,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown Texas - Edward View Post
achtungpv - what do you mean it deteriorates after 11:30? I thought it could only get better? More smoked the better? That could change the whole dynamic of my lunch hour
I don't consider myself an expert (though I eat BBQ 2-3 a week) but those that I KNOW are experts all tell me that the best BBQ to come off the pits is between 11am and noon. I was first told this by the former sausage master at Kreuz's. He said that those early batches of meat are cooked at the most consistent temperature and are not disturbed for 15 hours or so. This meat is always the most flavorful and tender. Once the joints get hopping, they are constantly lifting the lids and rearranging the meat so that there are temperature spikes and drops in the pit and the smoke is less consistent. the changes in temp, in particular, greatly affect the end product.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 AM

Very nice. That makes sense to me. 11 AM - Noon is before the lunch rush anyways so not only do you get the best cuts, but also you beat the lines! 2-3 times a week! Man, you are a bbq-eating machine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin