Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Things/places that we have taken visitors to in the past included Esther's Follies, lunch at the Oasis, sailing on Lake Travis, drive through the hill country to lunch at Gruene Grist Mill, via back roads to Wimberley, near Canyon Lake, to Old River Road (very scenic) to Gruene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
i like the not mowing too. especially the tall native grasses that are about a foot tall.
Really???? We had this discussion last year and examples of WEEDS cascading into the travel lanes under their own weight were offered. Take the ramp from SB MoPac to 5th St heading into town and tell us how lovely those "wildflowers" are!!! Nothing but weeds encroaching from the median into the travel lanes as a fine 'welcome to Austin downtown' !!! Trashy, nothing but trashy

Nobody said the roads had to be manicured; but not cutting the weeds more than once a year because the "wildflowers" need to seed is a miserable excuse for laziness.

I'm headed that way in the morning. If I can figure out a way to legally take a pic, I'll be glad to show you just how lovely our native 'grasses' are.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Honestly, it is the mowed within an inch of its life, master-planned community look that I dislike!
Weeds overgrowing medians, sidewalks & curbs, with the usual trash littering said spaces & gutters are you thing?

Now that's weird!

Old 11-04-2017, 12:28 PM

141 posts, read 105,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Nobody said the roads had to be manicured; but not cutting the weeds more than once a year because the "wildflowers" need to seed is a miserable excuse for laziness.
To be honest, it's probably not laziness than saving money. Budgets are tight and every year it seems they want to make them tighter. I'm sure mowing is expensive.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
To be honest, it's probably not laziness than saving money. Budgets are tight and every year it seems they want to make them tighter. I'm sure mowing is expensive.
They run sweeper trucks 6+ times a year through pristine neighborhoods like Avery Ranch...they could mow the trashy medians.

By the bye, I passed the particular spot on 5th St immediately after leaving MoPac southbound this morning. There was no way to legally get a photo in the time I had; but I can assure you all, this is not "native grasses about a foot tall". The weeds are falling into the travel lanes and encroaching along the surface, stopped only by getting run over by traffic!!! There is trash embedded in the weeds and nary a wildflower to be seen...just blight. And this would be the FIRST thing a visitor sees upon leaving MoPac to go downtown in our 'attractive' city. I noticed at least a half-dozen other examples before I even left "downtown". Lovely, indeed.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM

169 posts, read 186,751 times
Having lived in bigger cities before, Austin doesn't really have a lot that stands out, because many other cities have more of anything, do it better than Austin does, etc.

But one thing I did notice that I think many cities don't have but Austin does very well is a combination of a larger city life with a relaxed community feel of a smaller city. This is usually clearly seen in huge gatherings for music festivals or just going out to live music bars, etc. It's not really credit to the city itself but more to its people living here.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Having lived in bigger cities before, Austin doesn't really have a lot that stands out, because many other cities have more of anything, do it better than Austin does, etc.

But one thing I did notice that I think many cities don't have but Austin does very well is a combination of a larger city life with a relaxed community feel of a smaller city. This is usually clearly seen in huge gatherings for music festivals or just going out to live music bars, etc. It's not really credit to the city itself but more to its people living here.
Just what the heck do you think a city IS, JohnKneedep, if not the people who live there? And, of course, the things that draw them to want to live in that particular place.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 AM

169 posts, read 186,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Just what the heck do you think a city IS, JohnKneedep, if not the people who live there? And, of course, the things that draw them to want to live in that particular place.
City is more than just the people. It usually has buildings, roads, libraries, parks... I wanted to emphasize the community over the amenities of the city. It's not credit to Austin; it's a credit to Austinites.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:03 PM

141 posts, read 105,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post

Another thing I do find is there is a ton of trees and it feels a lot less of a concrete jungle than other cities.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
They run sweeper trucks 6+ times a year through pristine neighborhoods like Avery Ranch...they could mow the trashy medians.

By the bye, I passed the particular spot on 5th St immediately after leaving MoPac southbound this morning. There was no way to legally get a photo in the time I had; but I can assure you all, this is not "native grasses about a foot tall". The weeds are falling into the travel lanes and encroaching along the surface, stopped only by getting run over by traffic!!! There is trash embedded in the weeds and nary a wildflower to be seen...just blight. And this would be the FIRST thing a visitor sees upon leaving MoPac to go downtown in our 'attractive' city. I noticed at least a half-dozen other examples before I even left "downtown". Lovely, indeed.
Well call 311 and report it! I drive into downtown from MoPac on Cesar Chavez not 5th and I have never seen what you are talking about.

And sweeper trucks come through my central Austin neighborhood twice a month!

My first guess would be is that it isn't even the CoA row -- ownership of land right there underneath the tangle of lanes is "interesting" to say the least. AISD might own it! But we will never know if you don't call 311!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin