Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM

41 posts, read 219,908 times

Advertisements

When people find out I'm new to Texas, I usually get a warm 'Welcome to Texas!'. It really makes me smile : ) This usually happens 'outside' of Austin, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
For the first couple of seasons, the theme song was "Moon over Parma". When I first went there, I ask our friends if we could go to Parma and they said no, it sucks.
Yea, it kind of does. Ultra-white, drab car 'burb(not all of it, but most). But I suppose it's the go-to spot for the classic Polish-American vibe...Perogies, sausage, polka, tacky lawn ornaments, uber-manicured yards, beer. Awe, I'm getting home sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't know exactly how we got here, but when people mention Cleveland, what always pops in my mind to say is "Hello Cleveland!!!" ...

I also feel like saying that if I get lost in a building.
Thank Spinal Tap for that one! Every band in Cleveland, post 198? has used that one. What a great scene!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 PM

106 posts, read 391,808 times
We get asked "What brought you to Austin?" allllllll the time. I've started to change my response.

I used to tell the complete truth: "My boyfriend's friend moved here and called us to say it was amazing. Five weeks later, we sold my car and packed everything we could into his toyota and moved."

After some odd looks, or people assuming we were the vagrant-type who might not be the greatest candidates for jobs, I've changed my response to:

"My boyfriend is a chemist and the opportunities here are amazing."

People seem to dig that much more

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
"My boyfriend is a chemist and the opportunities here are amazing."

People seem to dig that much more
That's an awesome response. Question: Is he really a chemist?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
3. Its OK except the food's too bland and the dental care here suck.
BTW, is this true? I haven't found a dentist yet and I'm a bit overdue

Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
Nope. I'se jus' pullin' your laig.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM

187 posts, read 846,910 times
The question I hear the most is the general: "What do you think of Texas?" or I get "Welcome to Texas!!" which amuses me to no end.

Texans have such pride in their state, it's amazing. I should say that I am a public historian here, and I came for the job, but when people ask me, "What brought you to Austin" or "What brought you to Texas," I usually reply, "I drove myself, I have a Honda."

But in Chicago, Illinois, my hometown, when I heard that folks are new, I have never asked them "What do you think of Illinois?" I guess our state pride is fairly poor in contrast to Texans'. It seems like such a goofy question to me but I hear it all the time.

But Texans want to know!

I was told that the public school curricula in this state require a course in Texas state history before graduation, whereas in Illinois there was no such requirement.

And I think that Spinal Tap is the reason for most things, not only the reason why you shout out every time you land at the Cleveland airport.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
Funny thing I've noticed. When I get asked "what brought you to Texas" like most I get a nice welcome; that is, so long as the person is a native. If they're from somewhere else, the question has a tone of "why on earth did you pick this place"?

We had some folks visiting from Kansas and they wanted to know why Austin. I guess it's hard to see past California? The media works wonders, I think to myself.

I got the same vibe from someone who used to be from CA, but they moved because her husband's job moved him, not that she wanted to leave.

I guess my point is that in spite of all the "Top Places to Live/Work/Whatever" positive press Austin gets, it's not a shoe-in that people will want to move here because they don't really get Austin. They're moving in droves, but if people really got it, those droves would probably be a lot bigger

I second the love of state thing. My MIL, on her visit, commented about how many Texas flags fly along side/under the US flag. You don't see that anywhere near as much in California.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
Funny thing I've noticed. When I get asked "what brought you to Texas" like most I get a nice welcome; that is, so long as the person is a native. If they're from somewhere else, the question has a tone of "why on earth did you pick this place"?
I'm a 6th or 7th generation Texan and I can't figure out why anybody would move to any place in Texas outside of Austin. Really, the rest of the state sucks. Be honest and you'll realize it's true.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I'm a 6th or 7th generation Texan and I can't figure out why anybody would move to any place in Texas outside of Austin. Really, the rest of the state sucks. Be honest and you'll realize it's true.
While it's true that I LOVE Austin, I think there are other cities that are unique in their own ways within the state of Texas. For example, Fort Worth and San Antonio. Each place has a uniqueness about it. I have never been in West Texas, so I cannot speak of those towns/cities. If you count the small towns, ie: Gruene, New Braunfels, Fredricksburg...these are some very cute towns. I wouldn't say the rest of the state sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin