Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
Texans have such pride in their state, it's amazing.
My friends from Ohio commented on this right away. They couldn't believe the amount of Texas flags and stars they saw everywhere. Most people in Ohio probably don't know what the state flag looks like Or the state bird. Or the state flower. Song, etc...I suspect a lot of Texans know these things?

Before we made the decision to move here, that's one of the things that used to annoy me about Texans: it seemed liked they always bragged too much about how great their state was, sort of like New Yorkers. They might call it pride but others sometimes see it as arrogance. But if kids are taught that early on, I can see how folks might seem over-the-top. It doesn't really bother me anymore, in fact it's kind of cool and quaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
While it's true that I LOVE Austin, I think there are other cities that are unique in their own ways within the state of Texas. For example, Fort Worth and San Antonio. Each place has a uniqueness about it. I have never been in West Texas, so I cannot speak of those towns/cities. If you count the small towns, ie: Gruene, New Braunfels, Fredricksburg...these are some very cute towns. I wouldn't say the rest of the state sucks.
Should have said the Austin-San Antonio Corridor. The rest of the state does suck.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Should have said the Austin-San Antonio Corridor. The rest of the state does suck.
I respectfully disagree

Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Well, I like central and north Texas, but I will agree that the Panhandle, east, west and south Texas are not on my list of places to live.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,564 times
I'm a transplant also, born and raised in MA, lived in CA for 13 years before moving here and so far, I can say it's one of the best states I've lived in. I love the fact that Texans have respect and pride of where they are from. Everyone should have pride in where they come from.

Anyway, I just finished reading a book called "Texas in her own Words" by Tweed Scott. It's basically a collection of interviews in what makes a Texan a Texan and why they feel so much pride. Once you read that you will understand the Texas Mentality.

As far as the question being asked why did I move here from CA? When I said it's so I could afford to stay at home and raise my kid. Everybody I met just said Welcome to TX!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 PM

106 posts, read 391,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
That's an awesome response. Question: Is he really a chemist?
Yes, he is really a chemist...I'm an awful liar and everyone would know if I were straying that far from the truth. My ears get very red and I stutter when I try to lie, but since there really is a bigger opportunity here, I can kind of get through the lie...it's more like stretching the truth haha.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
Question Iom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
...answers that are so far out but still potentially true that folks won't be able to tell you're pullin' their laigs... 2. The Isle of Man, in the Irish Sea...
Ok. I have to ask... *are* you Manx? If not, why did you choose IOM? That one takes me back a few... incredible memories. Anyway... ???

Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 AM

123 posts, read 718,215 times
Coming from Ohio myself, I am always asked, in addition to the "what brought you here?" and "how do you like it so far?", is "are you an Ohio State fan"?

No, I am not... and it surprises the hell out of them!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 02:23 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Ok. I have to ask... *are* you Manx? If not, why did you choose IOM? That one takes me back a few... incredible memories. Anyway... ???
No, I'm not. Am a late-blooming anglophile and because of spending altogether too much time viewing Google Earth almost said "Isles of Scilly", but thought that too obscure and 'silly' an answer to fly on this forum.

Have dreamed of visiting IOM on one of our holidays, but have no set time-table, as yet. Sorry if that threw you for a loop.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:52 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
Default Iom/eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
No, I'm not. ...Have dreamed of visiting IOM on one of our holidays, but have no set time-table, as yet. Sorry if that threw you for a loop.
No problem... many memories - vivid yet vague. It's a beautiful place - or at least was when I was there "many moons ago." Make it a go sometime, and while you're there be certain to catch the ferry to Eire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin