Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM

32 posts, read 62,225 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing lots new development on Manchaca south of Ben White such as new gated townhome communities, apartment complexes, restaurants, and the corner of Manchaca and W Cannon is starting to redevelop. When I first moved to Austin back in 2012, S Lamar (between Barton Springs & Ben White) looked pretty similar to Machaca does now e.g., auto body shops, collision centers, etc. and looks completely different now. Remember what the area around the Broken Spoke looked like be being re-developed?

I'm wondering if that same development is now starting to push further south. The area between Stassney and W Cannon on Manchaca looks very similar to what S Lamar looked like not too long ago.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,976,190 times
It's too far south to develop into the same "urban" feel as S. Lamar. But I do think neighborhoods south of Ben White want and appreciate "local"places without having to driving into downtown. S Congress and St Elmo will become like that. But that requires density, which neighbors generally protest against.

The dummies at City of Austin try to plan out these things with input of "neighborhood planning teams", first with the plan that preceded CodeNext (I forget its moniker), and now with the abysmal and total failure that is "CodeNext".

But you may glean some insight from the 185 page plan for South Austin.
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austingo/SACNP_FINAL.pdf

Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2pgh View Post
I've been noticing lots new development on Manchaca south of Ben White such as new gated townhome communities, apartment complexes, restaurants, and the corner of Manchaca and W Cannon is starting to redevelop. When I first moved to Austin back in 2012, S Lamar (between Barton Springs & Ben White) looked pretty similar to Machaca does now e.g., auto body shops, collision centers, etc. and looks completely different now. Remember what the area around the Broken Spoke looked like be being re-developed?

I'm wondering if that same development is now starting to push further south. The area between Stassney and W Cannon on Manchaca looks very similar to what S Lamar looked like not too long ago.

Thoughts?
I remember what South Lamar looked like before all the development there around the Spoke, living as I did crawling distance from it. It was very nice - we could walk to just about everything - restaurants, movie, shopping, video store when that was a thing, bank, groceries (including Whole Foods for quite a while there), and we also had easy access to auto repair and service if needed. All that gone. Just waiting for people moving into the condos around the Spoke to start complaining about the music.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,014,420 times
Lots of shops, Hill Country Weavers, Uncommon Objects, End of an Ear, and others are moving from S. Congress and S. First to that area -- chasing lower rents.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:03 AM

15,232 posts, read 35,413,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I remember what South Lamar looked like before all the development there around the Spoke, living as I did crawling distance from it. It was very nice - we could walk to just about everything - restaurants, movie, shopping, video store when that was a thing, bank, groceries (including Whole Foods for quite a while there), and we also had easy access to auto repair and service if needed. All that gone. Just waiting for people moving into the condos around the Spoke to start complaining about the music.
I seem to recall you could walk to about a dozen auto body shops, a salvage yard, a about a dozen nondescript metal buildings of unknown purpose...and Kerbey Lane to eat . Of course, that was the actual street business, I am sure it was different a block or two either way...

Old 11-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I seem to recall you could walk to about a dozen auto body shops, a salvage yard, a about a dozen nondescript metal buildings of unknown purpose...and Kerbey Lane to eat . Of course, that was the actual street business, I am sure it was different a block or two either way...
I regularly walked (sometimes hauling along a child) to Half Price Books, several restaurants, Whole Foods, Book People, Kerbey Lane wasn't there yet, that space was Blockbuster, the drug store, Whole Earth Provision Company, Mervins (a department store along the lines of Kohl's for those of you who don't recognize it), an upscale clothing re-sale store, as well as the Spoke and a few other places (oh, yes, the bank). Not always - I drove, too, but I could and did walk to all those places. And if the car needed work, brakes, or service, I could drop it off and walk home. This was in the early 1990's.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,413,416 times
I went to the south location back in the late 80s (88, or 89? +/- a year or so).....not sure when it actually opened, though.

Oh, I am sure there were a lot of places back then, but driving down south Lamar was generally a pretty ugly drive as far as aesthetics go.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 PM

844 posts, read 2,009,910 times
Quote:
But I do think neighborhoods south of Ben White want and appreciate "local"places without having to driving into downtown. S Congress and St Elmo will become like that. But that requires density, which neighbors generally protest against.
I agree completely. I live down here and am looking forward to more coffee shops, restaurants etc I could walk to. I participated in the neighborhood workshops for future planning and the overwhelming input of long term residents was "No multi-unit housing! No granny flats! No retail within neighborhoods!" They want things to stay exactly the same forever and ever until they die.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I went to the south location back in the late 80s (88, or 89? +/- a year or so).....not sure when it actually opened, though.

Oh, I am sure there were a lot of places back then, but driving down south Lamar was generally a pretty ugly drive as far as aesthetics go.
You're right, I was thinking of the current location which is where Blockbuster used to be. Before that they were a few blocks north of the Spoke on the other side of Lamar. I forgot about that one. I used to go to Kerbey Lane back when it first opened on, duh, Kerbey Lane (the woman who ran it was an old high school buddy of my husband and his best friend) and was more of a fine dining establishment.

I didn't worry about aesthetics then. Everything I needed was within minutes and our house overlooked the Green Belt and my husband and daughter could walk down Barton Creek to restaurant row on Barton Springs Road of a Saturday, so I had substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: