Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM

31 posts, read 149,322 times

Advertisements

When we have looked at houses, my wife doesn't see swimming pools. She sees child drowning machines. :-) Any house with a pool is instantly off the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,596,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisBurns View Post
When we have looked at houses, my wife doesn't see swimming pools. She sees child drowning machines. :-) Any house with a pool is instantly off the list.
That's the parents fault for that happening. Where is mommy and daddy at when this is happening? It's not the pools fault.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,185,524 times
Well, perhaps some parents choose not to have a pool at their house as one of the tools for preventing this.

I've raised two kids to adulthood, had quite a few others around, and was one, myself. (And grew up on a church camp with not only an 80 acre lake but two pools, so it's not like I have a personal objection to them.) I can remember the things that kids can get into in a split second, no matter how careful you are (unless you damage them in other ways by never getting more than two feet from them and even then, they can manage to fall and hurt themselves before you can move.)

Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 AM

701 posts, read 2,473,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
That's the parents fault for that happening. Where is mommy and daddy at when this is happening? It's not the pools fault.
The thing is that children can be crazy smart. Note: smart and not necessarily wise. My oldest figured out how to remove the child safety doodad on the VHS in seconds. He is also a fish. No matter how well gated a pool was, we nixed any house with a pool or spa when we were looking at homes when he was really little.

It's impossible to guarantee a child will be 100% safe unless that child is immobile and even then you never know.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,260,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're reminding me of when my sister (12 years older) was a toddler and my mother found her eating dirt. She rushed her to the doctor, who examined her, and then said, "Hmmm, must be something in it she needs." So when I came along, was a toddler (living at a church camp with an 80 acre lake) and started eating dirt, she just shrugged.

Recent studies have shown that children who grow up in extremely clean environments (using all the antibacterial "stuff" availbale now, etc.) have twice the incidence of childhood illnesses and allergies as children who grow up on farms. (And, as the researchers said regarding the microscopic examination of bedding, regarding the bedding of farm children, "You don't want to know what we found on the sheets!")

So, a high bacteria count is not necessarily all bad. Seems our immune system needs something to work with to develop itself properly (think training so you'll be in shape for the marathon).
Great post! So many parents are going insane with fear of bacteria that we're breeding a generation of kids who will eventually fall sick to anything because of immune systems that never got built up.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Quote:
So, a high bacteria count is not necessarily all bad. Seems our immune system needs something to work with to develop itself properly (think training so you'll be in shape for the marathon).
Quote:
Great post! So many parents are going insane with fear of bacteria that we're breeding a generation of kids who will eventually fall sick to anything because of immune systems that never got built up.

... this would be the time to mention the two people who died after swimming in Lake LBJ last year, due to high bacteria.

That can happen at any lake, because of bacteria constantly being present. Regardless of your immune system. That's why you keep pool water moving and balanced.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM

And, out of how many people swimming for how many generations in the lakes and rivers around here, how often has that happened? (Never mind, I just checked, 34 cases of PAM in Texas between 1972 and 2007 - it's extremely rare to become infected, worldwide.)

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Yep, rare - but deadly in a matter of days.

My only point is that the bacteria in lakes is nothing to ignore or consider alarmist. That's why City park people, etc do test the lakes on a regular basis. The bacteria, especially after a major rain - like we had last year - can be an issue...

And there are lots of things NOW that are issues, that people ignored generations ago. The flu is one, it's a totally different flu now that when I was younger. Though, this is getting off topic...

Old 03-20-2008, 02:14 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Somebody said something about swimming pools?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 PM

Sorry about that.

Well, one doesn't have to worry much about bacteria in a well-maintained swimming pool. (That better?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin