Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM

26 posts, read 106,682 times

Advertisements

Hello. We live in Oklahoma and may be making a move to Texas in the next year or so. Thinking about Austin although I don't know much about it. Number one priority is finding a great school for our son. I am not against public school if there are some special programs geared towards children with autism. Also have 2 younger daughters who will be in school in a few years. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 PM

27 posts, read 106,171 times
I do not know too much on this subject, kind of new to this, but check out Rosedale. It's a Austin ISD school, have heard good things about the school. Hope it helps.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,457 times
You might try the Capitol School of Austin

Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,054 times
Eanes ISD has great support for autistic children. I know that for sure about Barton Creek Elementary where there is dedicated staff for such needs. My kid tells me often how involved the staff is with one of his austistic classmate.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
All of the ISD's have dedicated staff for special needs children - and I would be concerned about going into Eanes with the recent newslines posted here about their lack of concern for those with disabilities in their district.

I have a child with special needs - not autism, he is disabled (cerebral palsy) and legally blind. He is currently in PPCD, which is like their preschool/prek program for those with delays/disabilities and receive services through the district. He will be in a regular Kinder classroom next year, with an aide. There are several children with autism in his classroom.

I will forever sing the praises of the RRISD Special Needs programs - coming from another state, with supposedly good programs, they have been leaps and bounds better here and we have seen so much progress.... and the teachers, at least at my school, truely do care about these kids. I have spoken with a lot of parents and all are happy with RRISD.

From what I hear on this board, Leander has a quality program as well.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,487 times
I have a daughter with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and we lived in Austin for 8 years. We are now in Wichita Falls ISD. I want to tell you that you do NOT have to move to get the services you are seeking. I am a legal and behavioral advocate and consultant and have worked with many families and many school districts. Federal law mandates that your child has to get what he needs wherever he is. The law is on your side. The school districts will give you a difficult time almost anywhere if you don't know the law. [mod]see comment[/mod]

Last edited by Bo; 04-16-2011 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: advertising not allowed on local forum. Share info, show your knowledge and post contact info in your member profile.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,289 times
I have an 11 boy with Aspergers and other dx and we are in Leander ISD and are having a very good experience with them. Leander ISD cover the Cedar Park and Leander areas and a small area of Austin and a small small area listed with Georetown. They seem to be doing very well. I have some friends that have moved from Round Rock ISD to Leander ISd and all of them have some form of Autism they are dealing with. They were not happy with what RRISD was offering at that time. I also know families that have other type of special kids and they swear by RRISD.DM me if you need any other help

Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,242 times
I am looking for a great place and school for my 6 yr old son. We live in Michigan and are not getting what we need through the schools. He is now getting switched to a different school, why? They do not know how to handle him. He is high functioning and also has a sensory disorder..
My husband and I are willing to sell and move, i have done so much research in the pass 2 yrs. I just can not figure out where to look. Every time i do, i hear bad things..

Old 01-19-2015, 02:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spencer View Post
I am looking for a great place and school for my 6 yr old son. We live in Michigan and are not getting what we need through the schools. He is now getting switched to a different school, why? They do not know how to handle him. He is high functioning and also has a sensory disorder..
My husband and I are willing to sell and move, i have done so much research in the pass 2 yrs. I just can not figure out where to look. Every time i do, i hear bad things..

Do you have a compelling reason to come to Texas? If not, you could save money just by hiring an advocate or attorney to mediate on your behalf with your current school district. Just the closing costs on one house alone would more than cover it. Most districts are within their rights to transfer a child within the district to another school if that is where they can better meet their needs.

If you can move anywhere, try New Jersey, they offer the best services for autistic kids in the nation. Texas is a low-tax, low-service state and those services include education.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,902 times
What are some services you have in place if I may ask some parents to share.
We have ST and OT
The school doesn't offer ABA therapy and even if they did they don't have ABA 1:1 for instructional guidance or redirection. Which she highly needs. I can sit with my daughter and teach her ABC for one hour but it takes me to actually sit down with her give her praises and encouragement every step of the way. Which the school states that would be more of clinical setting not a public school setting. Card and Shape of Behavior finally made their way down here
but I'm not sure how to advocate sensory, social skill and instructional ABA 1:1 from them
instead of school.
That's why I feel the bigger cities
would already have this in place in the school setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin