Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:31 PM

408 posts, read 695,913 times

Advertisements

Can I ask why you feel that way? Is it from what you heard/seen/experienced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
if someone wants to prove to me that Austin is not some homophobic racist city.

I'm assuming you haven't been there if you can make a statement as clearly prejudiced against Austin as this one is.

So why don't you just drop in and try the city out? I think that would go a long way towards convincing you otherwise.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
if someone wants to prove to me that Austin is not some homophobic racist city.
What a funny thing to say. Austin is possibly one of the most tolerant cities I've ever lived in and I doubt people would be rushing to prove it to you - it's a live and let live and take it or leave it kind of place. TexasHorseLady is right - you can't possibly know that unless you visit.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Quote:
I am from Miami and visting Houston possibly moving there, and not only is Austin claustrophobically land-locked, I wouldnt think its a favorable place for minorities...thats just me....but if someone wants to prove to me that Austin is not some homophobic racist city...I'D love to hear, so that way if I do decide to move to Houston, I can also visit Austin from time to time
Claustrophobically land-locked? We drove 4 hours to the coast. I wouldn't say that's "claustrophopbic" or land-locked, though... I am not a claustrophobic. Perhaps if I was, I would see it differently. You wanna talk land-locked? Nebraska. Kansas. Colorado. Arkansas. You get my point....

I'm not sure that, with your attitude, anyone in Austin will want to prove anything to you.... but as others have said, it's obvious you have never been here to have such opinions... nor do you know anyone who has ever been here. Perhaps you would like to prove to us why you your opinion is what it is, instead?

Old 03-20-2008, 04:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I'm wondering the same thing as everyone else is? Especially since I've lived in Houston before. Yes, Houston is very large and has a "gay" scene with lots of clubs and activities and also a large African American community. But Austin is not intolerant at all, people just blend more here than they do there and maybe don't need a huge "scene". I also lived in Colorado, and agree with Jenbar..THAT is landlocked, not Austin. It's not a massively long road trip to a beach from here. I think someone is listening to a lot of unfounded gossip without going to these places and forming their own opinion. Houston also has a sort of laid back vibe (not to the degree of Austin) and don't think they'd like much of that attitude either, especially since many of them vacation here for an escape or own second homes here.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
What you said, love roses. I realized at one point that probably half the people I knew at that time were gay (male and female), but the only way I knew was by who they showed up to parties with, it was so NOT an issue. Rather than a huge "scene", as you describe it, they're simply a part of life like everyone else. And isn't that really the entire point of tolerance and equality?

At this point in my life, I don't go to as many parties, so I have NO idea who of my friends and acquaintances and coworkers are of what sexual persuasion. Not my concern, either.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Rather than a huge "scene", as you describe it, they're simply a part of life like everyone else. And isn't that really the entire point of tolerance and equality?
I couldn't agree with you more. However, I suppose some folks really need that explicit "scene" to feel secure and accepted. I can understand that. The OP remarked that wasn't necessary, so I say c'mon down and check it out before it gets crazy hot! I'm from Ohio as well, so I get what you're saying.

I'm just a not-so-boring straight white guy, but my wife's gay uncle is part of the reason Austin appeared on our radar. He moved here 9 years ago from Columbus to be with his current partner after spending his entire life in Ohio. We were sort of surprised when he said he was moving to Texas, as we kind of bought into the general stereotype about Texas being "old school", socially speaking. He told us that Austin was a great place(and that we should move here) and that he felt much more comfortable here than in Ohio. He wasn't looking for a "scene", just a great place to live like any other human being

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM

That is good to hear from another native Ohioan.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 19,331 times
I am an African American straight female who has lived in Austin 10 years. Austin is a college town (with 4 universities in Austin and two more 30 minutes in either direction) so it's pretty liberal as is the case in a lot of college towns. I have several gay friends and I've worked at two universities here that both had active GLBT organizations on campus. I would say that for the most part from what I've heard members of the GLBT community feel relatively comfortable here in Austin. As you are well aware there is discrimination, racism and bigotry everywhere and Austin too has it's "snooty areas" were they look down on minorities, working class, GLBT folk, etc. But on the whole I find Austin to be pretty laid back wiith a l"ive and let live" and "keep austin weird" kind of vibe.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 PM

Thats exactly what I have been waiting to hear...thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin