Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

For anyone interested...
Quote:
Frozen schools include:

High schools: Akins, Bowie, Lanier, McCallum

Middle schools: Burnet, Lamar, Murchison

Elementary schools: Baldwin, Baranoff, Blazier, Casis, Cowan, Doss, Graham, Gullett, Hill, Kiker, Maplewood, Menchaca, Perez, Ridgetop, Wooten, Zilker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Lanier is NOT frozen! Just Akins, Bowie, and McCallum for high schools.

https://www.austinisd.org/transfer

Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Lanier is NOT frozen! Just Akins, Bowie, and McCallum for high schools.

https://www.austinisd.org/transfer
*shrug* the info that I posted was published this morning, no idea if it is correct.

Overcrowding leads to Austin ISD freeze of transfers

There are a couple other differences in the Elementary schools, as well (i.e. Brentwood and Bryker Woods)

Old 12-19-2017, 12:35 PM

80 posts, read 100,624 times
Hliarous. Blazier is at 200% capacity and is frozen to transfers. Meanwhile, there are 3 charter elementary schools nearby that have opened, or are in the process of opening to serve that specific attendance zone.

AISD is a failure.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:44 PM

I asked them...

Quote:
thanks for the head's up. Austin ISD has edited that list since this morning when we put this story up. Will make the changes ASAP.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1457 View Post
Hliarous. Blazier is at 200% capacity and is frozen to transfers. Meanwhile, there are 3 charter elementary schools nearby that have opened, or are in the process of opening to serve that specific attendance zone.

AISD is a failure.
What's hilarious?

If it's that much over capacity, why the hell would you want more kids to transfer to it?

Old 12-19-2017, 02:44 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What's hilarious?

If it's that much over capacity, why the hell would you want more kids to transfer to it?
That AISD hasn't been able to move student population around through boundary changes to get kids to other neighborhood schools to address the overcrowding. Instead of moving kids around to help with the trouble, the charters see the need for other options and have come in to steal their kids. I really don't understand the AISD families unrelenting attachment to schools. Talking to families at TA Brown after their trouble last year it was like asking them to give up their second child for adoption to move to one of the other nearby schools. In San Antonio boundaries change yearly to address overcrowding and they cap enrollment at a number and bus kids to the next closest school. I haven't ever heard of that as an option, except for the TA Brown kids last year who, if they were not moved, would have been put in danger due to construction failures. (Only using the Brown example because I have direct knowledge of the situation).

Old 12-19-2017, 03:13 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
*shrug* the info that I posted was published this morning, no idea if it is correct.

Overcrowding leads to Austin ISD freeze of transfers

There are a couple other differences in the Elementary schools, as well (i.e. Brentwood and Bryker Woods)
No biggie. Just Lanier having the enrollment to freeze transfers, that would be newsworthy! Of course, look at Lamar, 6 years ago, they were a very different school now they are hugely desirable, and newly frozen to transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin