Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes it is. If you are at the beach or having an outside wedding or party it makes a big difference. No problem in California.

I liked living in California because you could guarantee not a drop of rain from May to October. So you could plan things like a wedding with a 100% guarantee of sunshine...

Most people aren't worried about planning for weddings other than a few times in their lives.

Here we have a technology called a "building" which is capable of providing shelter from inclement weather. Weddings can take place inside the building which protects the guests and the couple getting married from the weather.

Atmospheric climate isn't the only type of climate that makes Texas more desirable than California to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Based on the current 30yr normal period (1981-2010), Austin averages 17-18 triple digit days per year, slightly more than 2 weeks. Of course some years have way more, others have less.

Actually, there is a bit of ocean moderation in Austin's climate, by way of the Gulf of Mexico: how else would it have the humidity you speak of? But yes, it does indeed have semi-permanent continental influences that modify the oceanic regime, both during summer and winter (summer heat ridges and arctic blasts, respectively).
I think the number of actual 100+ days is a bit misleading. It doesn't account for the many, many days of 99 or 98, which frankly don't feel much better, especially when the heat index is still over 100.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think the number of actual 100+ days is a bit misleading. It doesn't account for the many, many days of 99 or 98, which frankly don't feel much better, especially when the heat index is still over 100.
But you have to establish a bar somewhere. Alternatively, you could state the number of days over 98 or 99. It may be misinterpreted, but I don't think it is misleading.

For me, I don't really mind until it gets over 101 or 102, generally speaking .

Old 01-03-2018, 07:24 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Here we have a technology called a "building" which is capable of providing shelter from inclement weather. Weddings can take place inside the building which protects the guests and the couple getting married from the weather.
Duh. But sometimes it's nice to have a BBQ. In CA you had a 100% guarantee of no rain during that time frame.

Yes, with heated and cooled buildings you can live anywhere but some people don't like to be cooped up all year.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Well, not a guarantee of no rain from May to October, there is about an inch, on average, from May 1 to Oct 31, although more than half of that is in May or October:

Quote:
Jan 2.28in.
Feb 2.04in.
Mar 2.26in.
Apr 0.75in.
May 0.20in.
Jun 0.09in.
Jul 0.03in.
Aug 0.09in.
Sept 0.21in.
Oct 0.44in.
Nov 1.07in.
Dec 1.31in.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
I liked living in California because you could guarantee not a drop of rain from May to October. So you could plan things like a wedding with a 100% guarantee of sunshine...

Yep, planning is everything, priorities you know. This way you get to plan your wildfire watch parties and have plenty of booze stocked up to watch your neighborhoods go up in flames. Gotta love that not a drop of rain from May to October 100% guarantee of sunshine for your outdoor festivities.

Quote:
Duh. But sometimes it's nice to have a BBQ. In CA you had a 100% guarantee of no rain during that time frame.

Yes, with heated and cooled buildings you can live anywhere but some people don't like to be cooped up all year.
LOL Well yeah, duh. As a Texan, I never realized I needed a 5 month period of guaranteed no rain to have a BBQ. Dummy me, I BBQ year around and very seldom have to plan it around the weather although I will admit there have been times when I did have to. Good thing Texans are tough and able to survive such traumas.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM

52 posts, read 51,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Agreed. A lot of the 100+ days feel better then the 97-98 days after humidity/dewpoints are taken into account.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
High pressure ruins routinely ruins summers in much of Texas. That thing is so worthless. First off, the subsidence from it kills off cloud development, preventing the formation of cooling heavy storms; the landscape then shrivels and dries out. But it's restricted to mid-upper levels, without affecting low-level Gulf flow, so conditions can still be muggy. So it's the worst of both worlds: hot, humid, but no benefit.

It would be better for that thing to be a late fall through early spring feature, as it would bring warmth while protecting from cold snaps (as currently being experienced). Luckily, it's dominance over most of Texas during summer may decline as climate change continues. First, Hadley cells are predicted to move north, so that high pressure system may eventually be north enough to allow rainy tropical-easterlies to dominate over Texas. Also, the Bermuda High out in the Atlantic may expand farther west, which would allow stronger Gulf rains into Texas in summer.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
High pressure ruins routinely ruins summers in much of Texas. That thing is so worthless. First off, the subsidence from it kills off cloud development, preventing the formation of cooling heavy storms; the landscape then shrivels and dries out. But it's restricted to mid-upper levels, without affecting low-level Gulf flow, so conditions can still be muggy. So it's the worst of both worlds: hot, humid, but no benefit.

It would be better for that thing to be a late fall through early spring feature, as it would bring warmth while protecting from cold snaps (as currently being experienced). Luckily, it's dominance over most of Texas during summer may decline as climate change continues. First, Hadley cells are predicted to move north, so that high pressure system may eventually be north enough to allow rainy tropical-easterlies to dominate over Texas. Also, the Bermuda High out in the Atlantic may expand farther west, which would allow stronger Gulf rains into Texas in summer.
This is mostly false.

https://www.texasobserver.org/climat...xas-11-charts/

If you see, it will be drier in all seasons in Texas. Oddly enough, the desert Southwest monsoon season will be wetter in the Las Vegas area. Northern California will have more rain in the winter and Washington state will be much drier in the summer. There's also a particular area along the mid CA coast that will have higher precipitation in the summer. I'm imagining it's a heavier fog perhaps.

All of the northern states will have heavier precipitation in all seasons.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:31 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
This is mostly false.

https://www.texasobserver.org/climat...xas-11-charts/

If you see, it will be drier in all seasons in Texas. Oddly enough, the desert Southwest monsoon season will be wetter in the Las Vegas area. Northern California will have more rain in the winter and Washington state will be much drier in the summer. There's also a particular area along the mid CA coast that will have higher precipitation in the summer. I'm imagining it's a heavier fog perhaps.

All of the northern states will have heavier precipitation in all seasons.
Those charts are laughable. They just take singular metrics for a period, then extrapolate it to nonsense, without accounting for the regional weather influencers in the area (which range from local factors to ENSO cycles).

You have to actually look at the regional weather influences individually, for any discernible trends that have occured over the years. That will tell you a lot more than those maps in your article:
https://www.nature.com/news/the-myst...ropics-1.19271
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin