U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 48,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcharisma21 View Post
There are worlds of difference between these two cities! Austin is much more liberal, and the population age difference is quite constrasting too. This of course could be the hand and hand reason. I would say go to Austin if your looking for more of a mixed cultural feel. If you want laid back San Antonio is your best bet, plus as earlier mentioned it is cheaper. You sound pretty young both you and your wife, so honestly I think that you would like Austin better, not to mention the jobs oppurtunitites are more plentiful. Austin is the college city, San Antonio however maby better suited for a family. Keep in mind however that while San Antonio is being built upon heavily, the streets and traffic in the interim are horri6ble. In addition to that, there is a HUGE hispanic predominance here. Plus we do house many of the Katrina move out victims and that has added even more to a city whose violent crimes have been on the rise as of lately. Another thing you'll want to consider is the weather situation here in Central Texas. BOTH of these cities will be stifiling hot in the summer, and the seasonal allergies can be killer. Neither of these cities, in my opinion offers the culture or the oppurtunities of either Houston or Dallas, but even these cities lack the luster and sophistication of many other cities in the US. If you want to know more about other cities, I've lived in many, just hit me up either on here or coolcharisma21@yahoo.com and I can give you any tips or advice that I've gathered over my travels.

Much luck to you,

Devin
Thanx a million for the help and feedback coolcharisma. You're Awesome!

I'll be sure to e-mail you about a couple of other places. Thanx again!

Regards,
Vegetta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 PM

13 posts, read 48,830 times
You mentioned a good point carolinajack....family Friendly!! That is very important to me as a husband (married 10 years) and father of three.

I hope everything works out in your favor for you and your plans.

Regards,
Vegetta.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM

2,349 posts, read 6,058,940 times
Well since I haven't seen ya post this on the SA bd yet I will give ya my take on this. Both cities are great cities to live in. I have lots of family in both cities but I chose to live in SA. I have two kids 6.5 yr and 3.5 yrs both boys and I am white married to hispanic. (like most of SA it seems at times!) I love SA and we toy with moving up to Austin but it would be so hard to give up the things that the kids have down here. We are so used to going to Sea World or Six Flags for just a couple of hours or going to the Hill country (we have a ranch about 1 hour from here, would work out to be about a 2 hr drive to get to it if in Austin) There is a great zoo here with loads of birds and the weathers is great. Now in the same breath you can say the weather is great in Austin, you have the lakes to do something on, its a 'crunchy" city with lots of activists since it is a huge college town. I did the parting in Austin but chose to raise my family here. Now the other parts of my family might say that Austin is great for their reasons but we are very pleased with our choice. Lots of good doctors. We have never had any problems in finding stuff to do in SA. I don't like Austin traffic. Not as bad as other cities but when you compare Austin now to Austin then its awful. Plus they are building the freeways there. At least in SA they are just expanding them so you almost are always moving not stuck. Like they said visiting is the best way to chose going to be hard if you only have a couple of days to decide what to do. Come over to the SA bd and they can give you more ideas about SA.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,840,085 times
Default Austin vs. San Antonio

I am not going to say that I know Austin very well as I have not lived there, but have been there many times. However, my impressions of Austin are good. Beautiful city (especially West of I35), and of course you have the great Texas Hill Country directly to the West. IMO, you can be either conservative or liberal in Austin and they will not bother you. Austin is known for more high tech than SA. To me, the biggest negative about Austin is I35 congestion.

Now, I have lived in San Antonio for more than 20 years. I grew up in suburbs East of Los Angeles, so I know a little about large cities. Although San Antonio is a large city (with about 1 1/2 million people), it is spread out. The outer Loop 1604 is 100 miles around so that gives you an idea of its size. I think San Antonio has more family-oriented entertainment (Sea World and Fiesta Texas) than Austin. The North, Northeast, and especially the Northwest parts of San Antonio are growing rapidly and traffic has become a problem, though not gridlock. The state is looking at toll roads to expand the roads in these areas. Also, with the addition of the Toyota plant Southeast of San Antonio, the south area is receiving much needed infrastructure support. San Antonio is known for three major pillars: military, tourists, and medical research. The technology field is slowly growing here (some companies associated with software and computer security). Lastly, even though people say San Antonio is conservative, I tend to think it is more moderate (in the middle), willing to accept some change (we now have a Liberal mayor...but not excessively so).
I hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM

1,722 posts, read 152,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcharisma21 View Post
Austin is the college city,
San Antonio has more college students, so I guess SA is also a college city too.

Quote:
Keep in mind however that while San Antonio is being built upon heavily, the streets and traffic in the interim are horri6ble.
My god, no they're not. The freeways configuration is one of the best in the country, the only time you traffic comes to a stand still is if traffic shuts down all but one lane. Even in rush hour traffic moves.

You have 37, 151, 10, 281, 35 90, 1604, 410. All actual freeways.

Quote:
In addition to that, there is a HUGE hispanic predominance here.
And?? Is that supposed to be a negative thing? If so, why? Or is that something you just don't like.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 152,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Also, with the addition of the Toyota plant Southeast of San Antonio, the south area is receiving much needed infrastructure support.
Toyota is actually in far south San Antonio. 13 miles directly south of downtown.

Quote:
San Antonio is known for three major pillars: military, tourists, and medical research.
Known, yes. The actual top three industries today, no.

It's: Bio-medical, Financial, Tourism.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM

1,896 posts, read 4,540,452 times
Default Thanks!

GREAT pictures 210...thank you so much for sharing!!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:18 PM

944 posts, read 2,775,350 times
THANK YOU 210! What a beautiful pictorial of San Antone, can't believe I live so close and haven't been there in at least 3 years!!!

IMPORTANT TIP: You can reduce the file size of your .PNG files dramatically which would be nice for people on slow connections and for the server hosting this website. Some of your pics are well over a MB and they could be cut to a tenth that file size without noticeable degradation of picture quality.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,480,112 times
Awesome photos...I really enjoyed them! You have a real talent!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,840,085 times
Default Posting Copyrighted Photos in This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Awesome photos...I really enjoyed them! You have a real talent!
Many of the photos are not his, but copyrighted (they are for sale on the internet).

Note to members: Do not post copyrighted material (including photos) in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin