Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times

Advertisements

Totally agree with central austinite and riaelise... choose a hospital close, essentially find an OB that you like but make sure he or she delivers close by. Believe being in labor and panicking about getting to the really far away hospital is nothing to be recommended. I live in far north Austin in Avery Ranch and I just had a baby a few months ago in Cedar Park regional hospital. It's a nice hospital. It's a pretty nice place as hospital go and the rooms are nice and spacious. My OB is at ARC.

I delivered my older kids in pretty nice and swanky hospitals in other states and frankly, they are all pretty similar. What mattered to me was my OB during each of these experiences.

Having said that, if you are having a high risk (not just because you are AMA:-)) pregnancy and know before hand that your baby may need additional help in NICU, may make sense to choose a hospital with a level 4 NICU or at least a level 3 though chances are of needed, your baby will get to where they will be well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
it is mostly determined by where your ob gyn has privileges. All three of ours were born at seton central, but I definitely envied the nice rooms at st davids.

We wanted a doula, not all OBs are ok with a doula.

We wanted to breastfeed, some places might push formula

We wanted to control things like the temp of the room, walking around, being hooked up to monitors, and administration of drugs.

Make sure you have an OB and a hospital staff that is supportive of whatever your birth plan is.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
No hospitals push formula these days, Austin97. In fact it is quite the opposite. If you want to use formula you'll be pressured in all sorts of ways by just about everyone not to. The Breastapo are everywhere! You're a terrible, bad mother if you aren't able (or god forbid, unwilling) to breastfeed.

I had my second child in 2014. I had to use formula for medical reasons (which I knew before I delivered) and while the nurses and my OB were all very cool with this (it was my OB's suggestion, based on my personal medical issues) at St David's North a lactation consultant still came to my room *who wanted me to clear all of my family members and my doula out of the room* in order to speak to me. I refused.

I also thought it was EXTREMELY weird that this person wanted everyone out of the room. Perhaps it was for HIPAA, but when I described this to the hospital staff when they called to give me the post-labor survey once I was home, they said they had never heard of such a thing and did not know who/what would have done that. I was unable to stand on my own at that point and was not in any frame of mind to have someone I didn't know in the room alone with me and my daughter, when I was unable to speak very coherently for myself and unable to get up if I needed to. I was sort of left wondering who the hell that person was if the hospital said it was not something one of their lactation consultants would have done.

Other than that we had a good experience at St Davids. I was in labor for three days and I had some of the best nurses imaginable. I can't say I would choose my OB again, but having a doula was lifesaving. I LOVED mine and she was invaluable.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:02 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
No hospitals push formula these days, Austin97. In fact it is quite the opposite. If you want to use formula you'll be pressured in all sorts of ways by just about everyone not to. The Breastapo are everywhere! You're a terrible, bad mother if you aren't able (or god forbid, unwilling) to breastfeed.

I had my second child in 2014. I had to use formula for medical reasons (which I knew before I delivered) and while the nurses and my OB were all very cool with this (it was my OB's suggestion, based on my personal medical issues) at St David's North a lactation consultant still came to my room *who wanted me to clear all of my family members and my doula out of the room* in order to speak to me. I refused.

I also thought it was EXTREMELY weird that this person wanted everyone out of the room. Perhaps it was for HIPAA, but when I described this to the hospital staff when they called to give me the post-labor survey once I was home, they said they had never heard of such a thing and did not know who/what would have done that. I was unable to stand on my own at that point and was not in any frame of mind to have someone I didn't know in the room alone with me and my daughter, when I was unable to speak very coherently for myself and unable to get up if I needed to. I was sort of left wondering who the hell that person was if the hospital said it was not something one of their lactation consultants would have done.

Other than that we had a good experience at St Davids. I was in labor for three days and I had some of the best nurses imaginable. I can't say I would choose my OB again, but having a doula was lifesaving. I LOVED mine and she was invaluable.
I have to agree. My wonderful (now retired) OBGYN never pushed anything - how you fed your baby was your choice, as long as she was thriving. I was planning on breastfeeding anyway, but it was nice to know that she wasn't judgmental. As for breastfeeding, I don't really want to wade into that muddy pool of water, but your situation reminded me of my own with our second child. She couldn't latch to save her life and when she did it was like being bit by a piranha. She started losing weight instead of gaining because her latch was so inefficient. After watching my almost 10 pound baby shrink to 8lb9oz, we decided to formula feed and she started to gain. Eventually we weaned her off formula and ended up exclusively pumping for two years, but I was so happy that my OBGYN was non-judgmental and caring. The traits one wants from such a professional.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
St. Davids North. I'm not going to give a long drawn out spiel, but everyone I've known who delivered at both St Davids and Seton has a story about some way or ways in which St. Davids was better.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post

So did you have to clear all your family members and doula out of the room, or did he allow them to remain? We are planning to use St. Davids this year as well, just wondering about your experience.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
We had two kids at St. David's North (although it has changed names since then) and used an OB from the Women's Renaissance Group, although the OB has since retired.

In any case, SDN was great, although I don't really have experience anywhere else. The nurses were wonderfully patient and helpful. The first delivery turned out to be long/high-risk for a variety of reasons, but all turned out well.

As for nursing, a lactation consultant (who was a nurse on-staff, iirc) assisted. Our first child had (and has) developmental issues and was not able to nurse well, in addition to being severely jaundice, so we used a significant amount of formula to supplement. Our second, no help was needed. In any case, no room-clearing or crazy stuff like that.

This was 8 and 11 years ago, though, so not sure how relevant .

Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Two good experiences at St. David's North as well. Both were over 6 years ago.

Home :: St. David's Women's Center of Texas

Old 01-23-2018, 03:29 PM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
So did you have to clear all your family members and doula out of the room, or did he allow them to remain? We are planning to use St. Davids this year as well, just wondering about your experience.
I wouldn't clear anyone out of the room, and thus, the lactation consultant wouldn't speak with me. I didn't need/want their services anyway, but even if I had, I wouldn't have cleared my family out of the room at that point.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
The closest one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin