Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,532,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
What gives you the belief that left-leaning is associated with a live-and-let live mentality? In general, leftism leads to a more powerful state and less individual rights.
Live and let live and leftism go hand in hand on some issues, such as is in favor of legalized abortions, legalized same sex marriage, in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana and other drugs, keeping religion out of politics, legalized prostitution, legalized gambling in all states, allowing panhandlers to accept donations at busy intersections, actually, live and let live is just about everything is legal as long as it's not hurting anybody else or invading somebody's personal space.

Live and let live and rightism go hand in hand on other issues, such as less taxes, less government power and intervention into people's personal lives, pull yourself up by your bootstraps - you're on your own mentality, less government help/benefits for the poor, to name a few.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,941,743 times
I find the least tolerant people to be those virtue signaling self-congratulatory yard sign loving left leaners. They boast of their "live and let live" attitudes when what they really mean is "live and let live as long as you agree with me."

Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM

85 posts, read 91,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
I find the least tolerant people to be those virtue signaling self-congratulatory yard sign loving left leaners. They boast of their "live and let live" attitudes when what they really mean is "live and let live as long as you agree with me."
hahahah so true so true

Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,666 times
Personally I find "live and let live" to correlate more closely with maturity than political leanings. But YMMV and I'm sure there's someone who'd argue that political leaning correlates with maturity too - where greater maturity equals agreement with that person's leaning, of course.

There's a lot to think about and also a lot to read on CD about schools and that's worth some attention before you plunk down money on a house. For whatever reason most of the discussion seems to be a year older or more. (Anyone know why CD school discussions have dried up? Or am I not seeing some?). If you're thinking about private, you should know that finding spots can be challenging -- the population growth has outpaced school development I guess -- and that the application cycle for many is ending now (Jan/Feb) for the fall school year start. Not that there aren't exceptions or people who get in last minute over the summer, but it's something to be aware of. Of course, if you're thinking public, that problem goes away.

I lived in Austin in 98-2000 and again since 12. Both times I found the people and culture friendly and open. It's a bit more workaholic now but that's true in a lot of places and in my experience it's nothing like the "higher maintenance" cities I've been in and around. As far as moving, I've done it several times in my adult life and the drill is the same: stay open, stay friendly and accepting, and expect a couple years before you feel settled with a network of friends -- longer if there's not a social system to pull from. (Here, ours has been our kid's school community.)

Wish you well in your adventure

Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,052,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Avoiding traffic isn't our great goal in life, because if it were, we'd have to move to Smithville. but the increased traffic sucks, especially to many natives. And I'm talking about local traffic, not just traffic going into Austin. I don't set foot in Austin other than during work hours, but nowadays I have daily stoppage at various points along my route. And I'm not the traffic, because I take public transit. My car is off the road, at least in Austin.
Yes that is correct. You will never have to worry about traffic in Smithville. Smithville is the real life version of Mayberry.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:36 PM

535 posts, read 1,285,171 times
After being on this forum for the past ten years, I can tell you that the attitudes and opinions on this forum and the “real Austin” are two different things.

If you want to really know Austin you have to get out there where the real Austin resides. This forum is just an Austin playground.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,175,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Yet they care very much how you think.
I don't think so.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:03 PM

35 posts, read 52,919 times
Moved here from CA a few years ago, and our take so far is:

1. People are extremely friendly, welcoming, and embracing of newcomers. We have never once experienced any comments or slights from anyone. The chat forum is definitely a stark contrast to meeting people in person.

2. People are not flakey or unreliable & seem to be up for anything. They are great about showing up to birthday invitations for kids and other fun gatherings we’ve put together with a whopping 90%+ yes attendance on most occasions. In CA on the other hand, we had less than half show up to birthdays, and people flake on plans or show up late to dinner parties we had planned without giving notice.

3. Summer is as hot as you would expect, and seems to last into October, but that shouldn’t be a shock to anyone pondering a move here. I grew up in tropical/hot weather, so it wasn’t as jarring a transition, and I can run comfortably in 90 degree weather. (Everyone has varying levels of heat tolerance).

4. Allergies are terrible, but seem to hit some people harder than others. I’ve heard about the 5 year rule, but of our entire family, I won the lottery with Cedar fever during our first AND second Winter here. I also suffer from horrific Spring allergies right now. (Into our 2nd year). I have definite plans to see an allergist this year.

5. Traffic is awful, but compared to other major cities, it’s not that bad. Traffic is very relative to where you used to live.

6. Property taxes are outrageous. We are very concerned about how we are going to pay these 5-10 years from now when there seems to be no end in sight to property tax increases.

I think above all, the only way you can truly know if a place is right for you is just taking the plunge toward moving. You can visit several chat forums, gather as much info as you can, but in the end, you have to experience it for yourself, and immerse yourself into the city to really get the best feel for it.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by ManaMist72; 04-30-2019 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 07:25 AM

472 posts, read 428,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaMist72 View Post

2. People are not flakey or unreliable & seem to be up for anything. They are great about showing up to birthday invitations for kids and other fun gatherings we’ve put together with a whopping 90%+ yes attendance on most occasions. In CA on the other hand, we had less than half show up to birthdays, and people flake on plans or show up late to dinner parties we had planned without giving notice.
This is so true!

Old 05-02-2019, 01:55 PM

949 posts, read 563,613 times
Anyone coming here now is imposing. We are struggling to manage the people invading the area now and it's not particularly appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin