U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Recent college graduate considering move to Austin; information about job market, amount of sunny weather, cost of living, friendliness of people

Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 PM

394 posts, read 1,375,368 times

Advertisements

First off, I apologize for this appearing to be yet another "should I move here" thread, which I know many major cities on this forum get regularly and I'm sure annoy frequent posters. However, I am getting ready to graduate college and enter the real world and Austin is really winning me over. Some things I'm looking for in a city:

1. Job Market - I'm going to be graduating with a degree in English so I know employers won't be busting down my doors, but I'd like to live comfortably.

2. Weather - I grew up in the Pittsburgh area where we basically have two seasons: winter and construction. I love hot weather, sunshine, bright sunny skies,ect. I've been told the weather in Austin is right up my alley.

3. People - As much as I love my hometown, friendliness is not something always associated with the American northeast. I'm a very social person who enjoys meeting people from all walks of life and making as many close friends as possible. I also am single, which may be a by-product of Pittsburgh as well, since it's consistently ranked as the worst city in America for singles,haha.

4. Vibe/Identity - This is the biggest reason I'm drawn to Austin. I don't mind being in a city where people come from all around, but I like a city to have a vibe to it. I love live music, great film, nightlife, great food,ect. Austin seems to have a heartbeat that's very charming and everyone that I've talked to that has expirienced the city has confirmed this.

5. Crime - Unfortunatley, I do understand all cities have crime. However, I like to spend as much time as possible out and about and like to feel as safe as possible with my street smarts kicking in as much as possible. Pittsburgh's crime rate is on the rise and many of its city neighborhoods are very dangerous and an eyesore in general.

6. Cost of living - Suburbia is something I've grown to be bored with very quickly. I enjoy being in cities with different types of people, and being very active in my community. I also want to know I can live relatively close to Austin's best offerings without living paycheck to paycheck.

Thank you all very very much in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 PM

101 posts, read 367,342 times
1. Job Market - I'm going to be graduating with a degree in English so I know employers won't be busting down my doors, but I'd like to live comfortably.

I think you would find it difficult to find a better job market in the US.

2. Weather - I grew up in the Pittsburgh area where we basically have two seasons: winter and construction. I love hot weather, sunshine, bright sunny skies,ect. I've been told the weather in Austin is right up my alley.

Yep. Hot weather, sunshine, sunny skies in abundance my friend. I was swimming at Stacy today and got caught out by the intensity of the sun and had no SPF50 with me - schoolboy error! Displaying some lobster-like plumage right now!

3. People - As much as I love my hometown, friendliness is not something always associated with the American northeast. I'm a very social person who enjoys meeting people from all walks of life and making as many close friends as possible. I also am single, which may be a by-product of Pittsburgh as well, since it's consistently ranked as the worst city in America for singles,haha.

Folks here are super friendly (unless they are driving, but that is a whole different thread). Singles - well I wouldn't know about that as I am very married!

4. Vibe/Identity - This is the biggest reason I'm drawn to Austin. I don't mind being in a city where people come from all around, but I like a city to have a vibe to it. I love live music, great film, nightlife, great food,ect. Austin seems to have a heartbeat that's very charming and everyone that I've talked to that has expirienced the city has confirmed this.

Well Austin certainly ticks all those boxes. As much vibeness as you are willing to seek out, its not absolutely on your plate, but its definitely there.

5. Crime - Unfortunatley, I do understand all cities have crime. However, I like to spend as much time as possible out and about and like to feel as safe as possible with my street smarts kicking in as much as possible. Pittsburgh's crime rate is on the rise and many of its city neighborhoods are very dangerous and an eyesore in general.

I hail from London. In comparison Austin is a walk in the park (literally) in terms of crime and I always felt very comfortable in London. Street smarts will always stand you in good stead wherever you go.

6. Cost of living - Suburbia is something I've grown to be bored with very quickly. I enjoy being in cities with different types of people, and being very active in my community. I also want to know I can live relatively close to Austin's best offerings without living paycheck to paycheck.

Ah... There is always a fly in the ointment isn't there? This all depends on your definition of close. If you want to live downtown, or in the immediate vicinity thereof, its not cheap. Mile by mile, the further out you move the more affordable it becomes.

Other than the cost of living downtown you sound as though you will enjoy Austin very much.

Thank you all very very much in advance![/quote]

Old 03-21-2008, 11:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,992,478 times
You can check out craigslist for housing prices -- both buying or renting. I think the rents are very affordable, after all Austin is a college town!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 11,939,770 times
Hey Steeler fan! (I'm one too--currently living in the 'Burgh, but moving to Austin in Aug 2008)....thought you might like to know...Austin has an OFFICIAL Steeler bar. It's called Bikinis and Bar Grill

http://www.bikinissportsbarandgrill.com Choose the Austin location!

Steeler Nation is EVERYWHERE!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 AM

338 posts, read 1,317,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
You can check out craigslist for housing prices -- both buying or renting. I think the rents are very affordable, after all Austin is a college town!
That's right! I had let that little detail slip as I was considering other things. I'm also considering a winter snowbirding to Austin and should check out their offerings. I'm in the midst of some career-moving. That might help.

You mentioned Craig's list - I'd just referred someone else there to *list* their home. What are the older areas of Austin? I'd be hoping for a small rental with a fenced-in yard for a small dog to run and bark, preferably in a less-populated area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin