Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

For the guy with the comment on cutting off your tie.....That was Mother Trucker's next to the Tony Roma's Rib place, next to OSF, which was next to Benigan's. The irony here is that Benigan's went out of business.....OSF went out next......Tony Roma's Ribs went out while I worked at OSF after the owner's decided to collect but not send in the FICA withholdings for about 22 waitresses and skipped town (leaving the waitresses to pay up the witholding they'd already paid to the owner) and I think Mother Trucker's is now out of business as well.The Barbary Coast of San Francisco at the turn of the century was the look that OSF was going for. That was the period dress, the girl on the swing is based upon the actual restaurant in San Francisco that had a girl swinging over the bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Another place from around that time was the 'County Dinner Playhouse', but it has been closed forever. Weren't the 70s fun?
I remember the Country Dinner Playhouse. I was on FM 1325. btw...the 70's were cheesy and involved some bad food. Really though, I don't remember the food at the Country Dinner Playhouse, but remember the play. I thought it was a quite fancy concept for Austin at the time. Does anyone remember the place that billed itself as "a new concept in modern dining" on Anderson Lane in the mid 70's? It had initials for a name.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
No No No! There was a different restaurant that cut your tie. It was a country western place with a dance floor. There was a slide at the entrance that you could slide down on and they would cut your tie.
It was called TRAIL DUST

Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
pilotskid27 is spot on! I, too, came to San Antonio while serving in the military, and got to know Luke and the Postolos family. The story is accurate as stated. Luke was an extraordinary man, with a clear vision, and sound, meticulous, exacting, operational skill sets. He was also a kind man and a true gentleman. His wife and children reflected that kindness and determination. The turnaround of the Old San Francisco Steakhouse was a tribute to his passion for excellence. It did become a landmark for fine dining and must-see entertaining. The quality of the beef served was world-class, as was the patented process for baking its potatoes! I believe Dan Anthony and Mr. Reed (of Reed's Red Derby) were part of the ownership group, and launched the successive multi-location steakhouses in the state of Texas; not sure. After his untimely death, the San Antonio location was never the same. His son, George, and the career described by pilotskid27 were a success.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:34 PM

132 posts, read 232,249 times
Old old thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:30 AM

53 posts, read 61,787 times
I grew up in SA and would go to the San Francisco Steak House with my parents in the early 80s. They would let the kids get on the swing above the bar-so much fun. I have some fond memories of that restaurant. I did not like steak (still don't), so can't say if it was good or bad, but I can tell you the bake potatoes were yummy!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
True story. Since I was in elementary school I told my mom I wanted to go there. I was curious about the unique looking old building. She said that we would have my high school graduation dinner there. Fast forward about ten years. My high school graduation fell on the very LAST weekend they were to be open. We had a great time and I was glad I got to experience it before it went under.

Wow, and very old thread.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 982 times
I worked at OSFSH in Austin from the year it opened in 1981 until 1984. I had just turned 16 and it was my first job. I have many fond memories of those days. After closing we were allowed to swing which is harder than it looks but before long you would be hitting your hip on the 2nd floor ceiling. I was a busboy for the first year and moved to the kitchen. At 17 years old, a junior in high school I was in charge of salads and desserts making the chocolate mousse, candy crunch cakes and most of the dressings from scratch. On a Friday and Saturday night I would clean and cut 90 heads of lettuce. I learned my steaks and how to properly cook them which today I am still thankful for. The blocks of Swiss cheese came wrapped in plastic and in a box, approx.30"x20". We had a 2 handled knife about 2 feet long that we would cut the large block down the middle vertically and each half we be cut into 3 blocks creating 6 blocks out of the large block. That also is harder than it seems as the knife would tend to curve and create a crooked cut. It took practice. I met so many wonderful people and had the time of my life making good money for a kid in high school. It was a first class establishment and I'm sorry to see it gone

Old 12-28-2017, 03:26 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin83 View Post
I worked at OSFSH in Austin from the year it opened in 1981 until 1984. I had just turned 16 and it was my first job. I have many fond memories of those days.

After closing we were allowed to swing which is harder than it looks but before long you would be hitting your hip on the 2nd floor ceiling. I was a busboy for the first year and moved to the kitchen. At 17 years old, a junior in high school I was in charge of salads and desserts making the chocolate mousse, candy crunch cakes and most of the dressings from scratch. On a Friday and Saturday night I would clean and cut 90 heads of lettuce.

I learned my steaks and how to properly cook them which today I am still thankful for. The blocks of Swiss cheese came wrapped in plastic and in a box, approx.30"x20". We had a 2 handled knife about 2 feet long that we would cut the large block down the middle vertically and each half we be cut into 3 blocks creating 6 blocks out of the large block. That also is harder than it seems as the knife would tend to curve and create a crooked cut. It took practice.

I met so many wonderful people and had the time of my life making good money for a kid in high school. It was a first class establishment and I'm sorry to see it gone
Great Story. Thanks for sharing Ben 83. Keep posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin