Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:54 AM

63 posts, read 91,239 times

Advertisements

I have always thought you should but I did have a friend not use one and the builder gave them the commission as a credit to get the price down. Also if you use one do they ever share the commission? Seems like a lot of money if they don't have to show a bunch of houses, especially for a new home over 600K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 825 times
The answer is yes; you should always have an agent with you when visiting new construction communities. The site agent is there to represent the builder and their interests only! When you have an agent, they are there to protect your interests at all times and negotiate on your behalf. The "credit" they give to buyers will usually come in the form of closing costs or design center incentives. They don't typically like to reduce their price because it can set a precedent for future home sales. When using a Realtor, they can negotiate on your behalf and get you a better deal. By having access to recently sold homes in the neighborhood, they can to use some homes as comparable properties to determine if your home is at market value.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:38 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Yes, unless you are an experienced attorney. Especially if the new construction is a true custom where you are financing the construction but even if it is a standard build from a production builder. Of course you need an agent experienced in new constuction and they aren't always easy to find, an alternative is have a real estate attorney look over all the contracts.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:04 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
The builders here in Austin do not give commissions meant for agents back to buyers. The money was probably already on the table ready for negotiations, and the sales rep used words to make it sound like they wouldn't get it if they brought back an agent. The builders are starting to hurt a little here, so much is negotiable. Only the agents know how to push the buttons to truly get what you can get...

Also, the agent's commission is from their marketing budget, not from the net of the home proceeds budget. Two different funds that are looked at quite differently from a builder's perspective.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

Also, the agent's commission is from their marketing budget, not from the net of the home proceeds budget. Two different funds that are looked at quite differently from a builder's perspective.
Interresting

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The builders are starting to hurt a little here, so much is negotiable. Only the agents know how to push the buttons to truly get what you can get...
What makes you think they are starting to hurt?

Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkw View Post
What makes you think they are starting to hurt?
Because the marketing to us, agents, is changing and offering more incentives. My clients get my knowledge of those incentives plus anything else I can negotiate for them.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,025 times
Honestly, it really depends on how many times you’ve been through the process and how much you know of the builder and market.

I’ve bought new builds both represented and without. Best deal I ever made was without, but that was my fourth purchase and I was willing to walk and knew it was a situation I could hang them over a barrel.

95% of the time, I’d say having a GOOD agent will be beneficial. Unfortunately, they’re in short supply.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:29 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkw View Post
I have always thought you should but I did have a friend not use one and the builder gave them the commission as a credit to get the price down. Also if you use one do they ever share the commission? Seems like a lot of money if they don't have to show a bunch of houses, especially for a new home over 600K.
To Do:
  1. Use an Agent for the benefits they can provide
  2. Make sure you have phase inspections performed on the home by your own Inspector

Old 01-29-2018, 09:18 AM

103 posts, read 113,344 times
We used Redfin to get the rebate and negotiated down the price of the house. And this was building from ground up, not a spec house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: