U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,949,410 times

Advertisements

loveroses, let me look on my model and get back to you.

My brother in law is king of research, and he picked the midgrade Kenmore. That made me feel comfortable enough, knowing the level of searching he does on basically any topic....
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 17,284 times
) for a good deal on great water softening or carbon filtration equipment. Their prices are just a little higher than Sears but much higher quality with longer warranties. The people that operate the business are very nice and don't try to pressure you into a sale. Don't fall for the salt-free systems...they are complete bogus and don't do diddly squat for making your water better.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-11-2010 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: advertising against tos

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 17,284 times
We got one from Affordable Water Systems for $1000, installed price. Highly recommended. Good people, good equipment, no pressure and they follow up with you.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM

104 posts, read 283,585 times
Default Culligan

I purchased a system from Culligan for $1700 or so. Yeah, I know. You probably paid 1/3. However, I have a larger investment home and so I wanted one that could handle a large family. There was a smaller one for about $1200 or so. I like mine. It has a large tank and then a bin next to it for filling with either salt or potassium. I use potassium. I think it is working. I don't see buildup like I did in my home in Virginia. The water does have a different taste to it (I notice in the shower) but it is not a bad taste - just different. I have a filter on my fridge so the taste is not present from fridge water.

There is no filter for chlorine and such but I don't see the need for it as the chlorine does not seem that bad up in RR.

I went to a home show last year and was quoted prices from perhaps $1000 to over $5000 so it all depends. The sales people have stories to sell with. However, I found the Culligan sales person was straight-forward and after one year I am very satisfied with it. The system has a nice control panel so you can switch from salt to K, set the recycle time to early in the morning, and other settings.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 AM

74 posts, read 145,289 times
We bought a nice one for about $1500 installed. The water was kinda funky before but now its great. I wouldn't buy one that costs less than $1000 to be honest - its junk.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM

22 posts, read 106,864 times
Any softener that uses the white plastic for the valve body and/or bypass are junk. It's ABS plastic that gets brittle with age, especially when in constant contact with chlorine. That's why the Sears, Home Depot and Lowe's units are so cheap. Also, the cabinet models have an inherent design flaw that keeps corrosive salt vapors in contact with the valve and electronics. The salty environment will soon take their toll, unlike the units where the mineral tank is completely separate from the salt storage tank. Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,664 times
Patton2003 & RoundRockinite...WOW do you guys sound like you work for those companies!!! Ive had Culligan, Texas Water Solutions, Revolution Water and American Water come to my house after my Sears unit crapped out on me, and I went with American Water Kinetico. Ive had the unit for a few months now and Ive had no problems. They never pressured me into buying anything, and were polite. I can see the difference on my glasses, in my shower, and with my skin and hair. Before i bought my house, i lived in an apartment in Cedar Park and the water was HORRIBLE! my skin would break out in rashes and itch constantly! between moving out of my apartment and moving into my house i lived with my inlaws and theyve had their Kinetico for about 6 years, and right away i noticed the difference in my skin. Yea, it takes a little longer to rinse off the soap, but my dishes look cleaner, i dont have that gross buildup in my shower, my skin doesnt itch anymore and my hair feels healthier. i would buy this softener all over again if i had to! just my 2 cents!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM

593 posts, read 1,058,308 times
I live in Forest Creek and after using a water softener for the first time and discussing the issue with my neighbors, I'm convinced that for Forest Creek anyway, they are not needed. You pretty much double your water usage and you have to buy salt plus an expensive softening system. Lots of people like to go on about how bad "hard" water is on their appliances but I've got a neighbor on one side who does not have a softener and a neighbor on the other side who does. The houses are just now 10 years old and the house WITH the softener just replaced their water heater due to wear and tear and the house WITHOUT the water softner has a water heater that is still going strong. I asked this neighbor about water stains and she says she occasionally pulls out the vinegar and and that she is quite happy that she has not had to incur the cost of salt, added water usage and the equipment itself.

Finally, I've done some calculations of costs and have decided that there is no money to be saved by using a softener. Even if your dishwasher and water heater have to be replaced, the cost of acquiring and maintaining a softening system are about the same. Also, given that they use nearly twice as much water and they dump salt into the sewer system, I think they are not very environmentally friendly.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,291,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
I live in Forest Creek and after using a water softener for the first time and discussing the issue with my neighbors, I'm convinced that for Forest Creek anyway, they are not needed. You pretty much double your water usage and you have to buy salt plus an expensive softening system. Lots of people like to go on about how bad "hard" water is on their appliances but I've got a neighbor on one side who does not have a softener and a neighbor on the other side who does. The houses are just now 10 years old and the house WITH the softener just replaced their water heater due to wear and tear and the house WITHOUT the water softner has a water heater that is still going strong. I asked this neighbor about water stains and she says she occasionally pulls out the vinegar and and that she is quite happy that she has not had to incur the cost of salt, added water usage and the equipment itself.

Finally, I've done some calculations of costs and have decided that there is no money to be saved by using a softener. Even if your dishwasher and water heater have to be replaced, the cost of acquiring and maintaining a softening system are about the same. Also, given that they use nearly twice as much water and they dump salt into the sewer system, I think they are not very environmentally friendly.
I think you are mistaken about doubling water usage because of a water softener. The regeneration of a water softener uses about as much water as one load of laundry. Regeneration probably occurs 1-3 times per week in most homes. Otherwise not extra water is used.

Perhaps you are thinking of reverse osmosis filters - which flush 4-5 times as much water down the drain as is output from the filter.

I don't know anything about Forest Creek water. Maybe a water softener isn't needed. But the best way to know is to have the water hardness tested.

In areas that have hard water, softening it reduces detergent use substantially - which is an environmental benefit.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 52,903 times
Hey there, I live in the Brushy Creek area and recently broke down and bought a softener. We looked at Angie's List to find a reputable company for install. Cost was about $1,500, I think. I had a softening system at our old place in Pflugerville and didn't love the feel of the water, so I was trying to resist it. We've been in the house about a year and our dishwasher just stopped getting things clean, and it turned out it was related to the hard water. I tried various tricks to clean the scale out of the dishwasher, but didn't see it being a long-term solution.

So far, about a month in, the system has been working well. The water does taste better than before. Less lake-y.

The softener system install had to be inspected by the Brushy Creek engineer, which was good because he found a leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin