Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 AM

235 posts, read 269,652 times

Advertisements

Some friends and I are looking to do a mini-reunion the weekend of Oct 19-21. We're spread out all over the country and looking for somewhere central and fun, and Austin is one of the main options we're talking about. It seemed like a good weekend because Texas isn't playing, but we just noticed the F1 Grand Prix is being held that weekend.

How crowded does the city get when the F1 is in town? Will restaurants, bars/music venues be bursting at the seams? What kind of crowds does the race bring?

I see the racetrack is on the outskirts of the city, so I'm hoping that helps.

Last edited by Canamlian; 02-06-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
The city holds pre-race events, so there will be activities going on in the city. Hotels near the airport and East will fill up as that's the more central location to stay. They also have concerts at the venue, so that brings a lot of traffic for people only going to hear the music.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
I don't recall F1 weekend ever being all that crowded. A couple streets downtown might close down for concerts or events, but usually it's only the bland high-end hotels and bars that get crowded by the wealthy crowds that come to town. If hotel rates aren't inflated, I wouldn't worry about any crowds really.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
It's not that crowded but the hotels charge a premium and will be booked solid. You need to book the hotel rooms now if you haven't already done so.

One thing to note is that there is limited parking at COTA so you'll need to take the shuttle that departs near the Convention Center and will drop you off at the front gate of COTA.

F1 is a blast and I've been many years. Any advice on seating let me know. There are some better areas to sit that have better vistas.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
F1 is my FAVORITE Austin event because it has so little impact on my daily life. SXSW disrupts my daily life for three weeks, ACL is fun but I definitely feel it (extra traffic, extra hassle, hard to get to place I go regularly) but it is just two wekeends. F1 is short and aside from some events downtown, I can still live my regular life with almost no disruptions.

BUT you definitely feel it at the airport, F1 weekend is one of the very busiest years. Flights are pricey, the airport is jammed. Hotels are all priced higher. The W, JW Marriot, and Fairfield will be jammed along with their bars, but restaurants and bar outside that zone are still great and often less crowded than usual as locals are more wary.

There is no UT game that week and now that Mexico has its own F1 the next week, I think that reduces the crowds too.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM

122 posts, read 95,220 times
I agree with the above posts. In the city it is not so bad but you will definitely feel the impact of the race at the airport.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,270 times
Usually the hotels are reserved in "blocks" to give the appearance of booked to capacity. This allows them to charge more even though the blocks are reserved and may never get occupied. Attendance has declined since the beginning so although the event is in town, it will be mostly local attendees.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
Some friends and I are looking to do a mini-reunion the weekend of Oct 19-21. We're spread out all over the country and looking for somewhere central and fun, and Austin is one of the main options we're talking about. It seemed like a good weekend because Texas isn't playing, but we just noticed the F1 Grand Prix is being held that weekend.

How crowded does the city get when the F1 is in town? Will restaurants, bars/music venues be bursting at the seams? What kind of crowds does the race bring?

I see the racetrack is on the outskirts of the city, so I'm hoping that helps.
Seems to me, Austin F1 weekend doesn't seem as crowded as SXSW, ACL Fest, and ROT weekend. Every weekend is crowded In Austin, even if there's not any big events going on. Most every weekend in Austin is busy as if it's 5:00 rush hour all day long. If you're planning on coming to Austin F1 weekend, you might wanna go on and make a hotel reservation now, if not sooner.

F1 brings a relatively wealthy crowd, from all over the world, who seem to think nothing of spending 400$$ a night for a fancy hotel room in Downtown Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin