Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 03:30 PM

88 posts, read 193,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Nerda...I lived in Houston for several years back in the early to mid 70's, mostly in the Southwest Houston around Bisonette Street and 59. I use to know my way around most of SW Houston, Missouri City, Stafford, and Sugarland I had family in Dallas so I spent quite a bit of time there, too, mostly around Lover's Lane, Garland, and North Central Dallas around LBJ and Preston Wood area. I never knew my way around Dallas like I did Houston. I don't think Dallas and Houston has the same vibe, and Houston is more blue collar, but I think they look very similar to one another. The streets and interstates, the buildings, the stores, similar landscape as far as being flat, it's pretty much the same in both places.

What I meant in the post you quoted was if I was at an intersection, and didn't already know if I was in Dallas or Houston, it would probably be a wild guess as to which city I was in.

Actually, I think Dallas and Houston look more alike than any other two cities, including the Twin Cities, in the entire country.
Also, I grew up in the southwest of Houston. In alief. But, In the 70s, I believe it may have been its own city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
The OP poses an interesting question. Having spent time in a couple of other capital cities with larger universities, I can tell you it would NOT be Columbia, SC or Raleigh, NC(or Atlanta for that matter).

Would one need the state legislature(and all its trappings) and a big university for the "feel" to be appropriate? Weather would have to be a factor; but maybe not what the OP had in mind.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,044,929 times
madison wisconsin and ann arbor mi are like austin from a long time ago

Old 03-03-2018, 07:36 PM

4,482 posts, read 4,540,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerda View Post
Also, I grew up in the southwest of Houston. In alief. But, In the 70s, I believe it may have been its own city
Nerda, We lived inside the City limits of Houston, always had Houston addresses, but when we made a long distance call, it would show up on our telephone bill as Alief, Texas, instead of Houston. Seemed to me Alief was an unincorporated section of Houston more than its own independent town. Kinda like what Oak Hill is to Austin. There was no distinguishing landmarks or featues to let you know you are in Alief. I never really did know within any amount of certainty when I was in Alief or Houston. It was more like an estimation, or wild guess. I always thought it seemed like it was more pasture land than anything else, including a suburban community. I'm sure that's all changed by now.

And Sugarland was a town maybe around 1500 people. You had to drive several miles thru the country in order to get from Houston to Sugarland. The Imperial Sugar mill building was the tallest building standing for several miles, until you got to Fondren and 59.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-03-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 PM

45 posts, read 56,637 times
Boise, Idaho. They are both Capitol cities and both are home to the state’s major university. Both also have a river that runs through it bringing an outdoorsy feel to an urban setting. They both are often considered “liberal” compared to the rest of the state.

Of course Boise is a lot smaller than Austin (650,000 in the metro) and the weather is vastly different but having lived in both cities I see a lot of comparisons.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:33 AM

88 posts, read 193,948 times
Quote:
Nerda, We lived inside the City limits of Houston, always had Houston addresses, but when we made a long distance call, it would show up on our telephone bill as Alief, Texas, instead of Houston. Seemed to me Alief was an unincorporated section of Houston more than its own independent town. Kinda like what Oak Hill is to Austin. There was no distinguishing landmarks or featues to let you know you are in Alief. I never really did know within any amount of certainty when I was in Alief or Houston. It was more like an estimation, or wild guess. I always thought it seemed like it was more pasture land than anything else, including a suburban community. I'm sure that's all changed by now.

And Sugarland was a town maybe around 1500 people. You had to drive several miles thru the country in order to get from Houston to Sugarland. The Imperial Sugar mill building was the tallest building standing for several miles, until you got to Fondren and 59.
Yeah, it’s all changed so much. I remember hearing about when alief was mostly pastureland and when I was little, there were still cows on some properties near highway 6. Alief now is area south of westheimer road, east of highway six, west of 59, and north of west Belfort. Unfortunately it isn’t the safest area anymore, either.

What’s funny is now I live in oak hill and always say how it reminds me of an old Houston neighborhood in Austin.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,684,189 times
Quote:

For me, the main diffference is, Austin has a vibe to it that it always feels care-free, kinda like being on vacation all the time. In Austin, it always feels like something exciting is going on or is about to happen. Austin is probably the most landlocked city in America that feels more like a beach town than any other landlocked city in America.
Very well put. We used to say that among friends: that Austin felt like you were sort of on vacation, even though we were all working pretty hard, truth be told.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:27 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,352,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerboys View Post
Boise, Idaho. They are both Capitol cities and both are home to the state’s major university. Both also have a river that runs through it bringing an outdoorsy feel to an urban setting. They both are often considered “liberal” compared to the rest of the state.

Of course Boise is a lot smaller than Austin (650,000 in the metro) and the weather is vastly different but having lived in both cities I see a lot of comparisons.
I have not been to Boise, but I have also heard someone who's been to both (and has lived in Austin for a long time) say the same thing.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,305,085 times
I would say Portland first given its size and even a "Keep Portland Weird" mural downtown near Voodoo Donuts. However, I see Austin as a mix of Portland/Denver because the latter is a state capital like Austin and has larger Latino community that Portland and has elements, economy-wise, like Austin with Tech and Energy sectors. Raleigh also is kind of like Austin being a state capital with a large university and some Tech in its economy. So to sum up:
1.Portland;
2. Denver;
3. Raleigh

Old 03-04-2018, 12:22 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,883,081 times
Depends on what you mean by "like Austin". Cities like Austin was twenty-five years ago: Gainesville, Tallahassee, Boise, Spokane, Colorado Springs. Like Austin is now: Madison, Portland, Tucson, Nashville, Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin