Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
First and foremost, let's talk about wheelchair access. Austin is very accessible when it comes to those with wheelchairs. It was Austin city government that implemented ADA statutes enacted by congress BEFORE they were mandated.
I'm just wondering, are you in a wheelchair? Do you take care of someone who is in a wheelchair? Because really, people can put whatever they want on a website.... and you can report it back as fact - but if you can't answer yes to either one of my first two questions, you have no idea....

Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 86,012 times
" And by corrected, I suppose I should have initially said, "I don't know any place *WORTH LIVING* where property tax will cost you $300 a yr."

You are picking Kentucky over Austin? Have a nice move!! "

I'm not picking Kentucky at all. You made an ignorant statement asserting that there was nowhere to live for property taxes of $300/year.

Here ya go;
Department of Revenue: Property Tax How Property Taxes Work in Oregon (http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PTD/property.shtml#Tax_Rates - broken link)

5.69/$1000 annually. Pretty close.

Now that you've been educated, don't say stupid things.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Having moved here from the Pacific NW, I can assure you - my "worth living" still stands.

I am starting to think we have someone intentionally trying to stir the pot.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignantpoodle View Post
" While there is crime in EVERY city, yes Dorothy, even in good 'ole Paris"

Here's a news flash; some places are worse than others.

Yep, and racism is abundantly everywhere, just as nationalism is I suppose.

" Oh, one more thing...I don't feel it was neccessary to mock Jimmy Jack...that was plain rude! "

Yes, and we all know that Jimmyjack was polite, respectful, insightful, and like you, NOT a bigot!

And you THINK that Paris has LESS crime than Austin??? Boy,you are in for a RUDE awakening!!
I don't consider myself racist one bit!! I KNOW what France is like, especially Paris!! I lived abroad for 1.5 years and could not wait to return to American soil. You'll find out But then again you might just fit right in given the lovely qualities that many of the French possess which I mentioned above
He certainly did NOT mock you! He gave his opinion in a no-nonsense method that he always displays on these forums. You MOCKED him! That is RUDE!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 PM

14 posts, read 86,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I'm just wondering, are you in a wheelchair? Do you take care of someone who is in a wheelchair? Because really, people can put whatever they want on a website.... and you can report it back as fact - but if you can't answer yes to either one of my first two questions, you have no idea....
Oh, so now the city of Austin is just making up stuff about the ADA initiatives and putting up falsehoods on the city website? This is getting good!

And to answer your question, yes. My best friend is 38 years old and he's in a chair, and he's been that way since he was 17. Drunk driver hit him going the wrong way.

He told me his biggest challenge is being able to park so that people don't get too close to his truck blocking him from being able to enter, and of course when he moved to Austin he had a hell of a time finding a first floor apartment (he CAN do stairs, but refuses unless it's really important). Trust me, he has no problem going from bar to bar drinking himself into oblivion downtown.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:53 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Malignantpoodle,

You made your point and I respect it. I may not agree with you, but you expressed an opinion and I respect it.

Then, in 4 hours, the electronic dialouge turned into who can be collateral damage based on one's opinion. Not yours, not mine, not the posters who are also passionate about where they leave. Respect people and their families.

Statements were made. Some are right and some are wrong. I am not the deciding individual. It's just I get frustrated when these electronic conversations become ugly.

I suggest that the original opinion that was postulated was of one individual. He/she doesn't like Austin - fine. You are moving on - good luck. I wish you the best and I hope you can spread your positive and negative thoughts to those who have not lived hear. They need to be informed before they make the move.

I personally want to hear from you when you find your way to happiness.

Leave the extranious comments and diatribe on your keyboards and lets move on. It, in my mind (and I am not the sharpest tool in the shep) takes away from the core community values. Again, I am not the judge or jury - its just an observation of someone has lived here for a while.

By the way - the Bluebonnets are looking great in South Austin and Blue Bell has released my Spring Time favorite, Chocolate Moolenium. I may be a pretty simple guy but we in Central Texas are blessed with our flora and ice cream.

Good luck MalignantPoodle. I hope your travels are safe and you find a way home to your place.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 PM

12 posts, read 40,749 times
Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time providing this info. I just had a job interview in Austin last week. I think the team and the position were great. So I was 50/50 about moving there. After reading your post, Austin is pretty much off the table. Thank you for helping me making a decision.

While visiting there, I really didn't see anything like what people said about Ausin - Music capital, lots to do etc. It's small and kinda depressing(sorry but true). I went to a drug store late at night and saw some really scary people in the parking lot. Gosh. Thanks for your honesty!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
There are infra-structure issues...I agree with you on that. Traffic can be horrible.

This is actually caused by all the people flocking to Austin and needing the infrastructure to catch up. Unfortunately, they've been flocking constantly for quite some time so catching up is an ongoing process.

Austin's unemployment rate as of January is 3.9%. For Texas as a whole, 4.3%. For New York (one of your examples) 5.0%, and for Kentucky, 5.2%.

Forbes ranks Austin 3rd among best cities for jobs in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin