Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 40,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Fine. Then find you a small plot of land and build. But you have no leg to stand on complaining about Belterra or any other HOA in the area. You don't have a dog in the fight.

Then move there. But I can tell you are badly misinformed. Most Belterra kids go to Rooster Elementary and the new middle school. They only consolidate at the high school.

Then why start the thread? Just to **** and moan about things you can't control? There is too much available land around Texas to get yourself knotted up about this.

But given your posts, I don't think you'll be happy anywhere you go.

As an informed buyer, I do have a dog in the fight. I have seen what they offer and it doesn't add up. Funny you mention that, because I am building, and because of the hysteria surrounding DS, it will be worth two or three times what I'm paying as soon as construction is complete.

I never mentioned the high school apart from the elementary schools, so what part of me saying that Belterra goes to DSISD isnt' true? Go to https://www.dsisdtx.us/domain/102 and you will see that Rooster is DSISD also. Facts are a B***h, aren't they?

And, of course you obviously didn't read the entire thread. Just stopped in and saw my comments at some point, hence the half-cocked responses you have offered. I didn't start the thread and I'm not B***ting, but I'm not going to let people be misinformed about they hype surrounding DS. Someone asked about the area and I gave them the factual rundown. A couple people got butt-hurt because sometimes the truth hurts, and then got all spun-up.

Personally, I don't care what anyone thinks, but based on the vitriol and just angry opinions about what I have said, its pretty obvious that the truth hurts. Sorry you overpaid for your McMansion.

Last edited by NationwideTraveler; 04-05-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Those are 'estimated' taxes. The are often based on what the homeowner paid the previous year - including 65+ discounts, HS exemption 'caps', and based on the appraised value, not the 'asking' price. The calculation is much more accurate than a real estate 'estimate'. Those estimates almost seem to be intentionally misleading while still having an (albeit unknown) basis.
Actually, they are spot-on, but you've got the whole thing figured out, just like you did with Springlake.

Good job.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideTraveler View Post
Actually, they are spot-on, but you've got the whole thing figured out, just like you did with Springlake.

Good job.
Yes, I was confused on something, so nothing else I ever say will be correct...

But I am curious, how do you know they are 'spot on'?

Edit:
The first Springlake house that pops up on the MLS is for sale for $750,000. It shows estimated taxes as $10,865. Going to the Hays County appraisal site and calculating based on their posted rates and the appraised value of $526,790 in 2017, that matches up almost perfectly ($10,924). If the house were to actually sell for $750,000 and gets appraised at that amount (which it may or may not do), the actual taxes then would be $15,550, or almost $5,000 more than estimated on the MLS.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-05-2018 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
Quote:
As an informed buyer, I do have a dog in the fight. I have seen what they offer and it doesn't add up. Funny you mention that, because I am building, and because of the hysteria surrounding DS, it will be worth two or three times what I'm paying as soon as construction is complete.
You don't actually. You're just beating a dead horse. People in Belterra know we pay higher taxes. Most of my neighbors are okay with it. We like what we get.

Quote:
I never mentioned the high school apart from the elementary schools, so what part of me saying that Belterra goes to DSISD isnt' true? Go to https://www.dsisdtx.us/domain/102 and you will see that Rooster is DSISD also. Facts are a B***h, aren't they?
You can't seem to grasp, or differentiate the difference between schools and school districts. Yes, all the kids go to the same school district. But Belterra kids, and our neighbors, are the primary populace at the newer Rooster and the even newer SSMS. They all come together at the high school. Which if you check, is what I said. And when you pay taxes in DSISD, you'll be helping pay for our shiny new schools. Thanks so much.

Quote:
And, of course you obviously didn't read the entire thread. Just stopped in and saw my comments at some point, hence the half-cocked responses you have offered. I didn't start the thread and I'm not B***ting, but I'm not going to let people be misinformed about they hype surrounding DS. Someone asked about the area and I gave them the factual rundown. A couple people got butt-hurt because sometimes the truth hurts, and then got all spun-up.
No one is misinformed. You seem to think everyone is required to understand what you are posting. But at no time did you identify that you were talking about the Springlake subdivision.

The thing that gets most people worked up in Belterra is the propane issue, not the taxes. We paid to bypass it and installed a heat pump. No problem.

New neighborhoods pay higher taxes. That simple. I actually live in Belterra and understand that. You don't live in Belterra and are whining about it incessantly.

Quote:
Personally, I don't care what anyone thinks, but based on the vitriol and just angry opinions about what I have said, its pretty obvious that the truth hurts. Sorry you overpaid for your McMansion.
Now you're just being childish. Your attitude and know-it-all disposition are the reason people are reacting to you this way.

I don't think my 3000 sq ft house is a McMansion. It's a very nice house that is appreciating quite nicely. 3 houses on my street have sold within the last year. Given what I can read on the tax rolls and my quarterly report from my realtor, they all made a pretty tidy profit.

So, go build your house on your little piece of land and be happy. I'm done with this silliness.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was confused on something, so nothing else I ever say will be correct...

But I am curious, how do you know they are 'spot on'?

Edit:
The first Springlake house that pops up on the MLS is for sale for $750,000. It shows estimated taxes as $10,865. Going to the Hays County appraisal site and calculating based on their posted rates and the appraised value of $526,790 in 2017, that matches up almost perfectly ($10,924). If the house were to actually sell for $750,000 and gets appraised at that amount (which it may or may not do), the actual taxes then would be $15,550, or almost $5,000 more than estimated on the MLS.
Springlake isn't exactly a comparable neighborhood. It's an old neighborhood that doesn't really qualify as a subdivision. It's just looks like a rural country road. No curb and gutter. No sewer. No amenities. Nada.

Take a Google stroll through it.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
Springlake isn't exactly a comparable neighborhood. It's an old neighborhood that doesn't really qualify as a subdivision. It's just looks like a rural country road. No curb and gutter. No sewer. No amenities. Nada.

Take a Google stroll through it.
Oh, I realize it is a different market and properties will be valued differntly. I was trying (futilely, I suspect) to make two points:
- The 'estimated' taxes are misleading.
- On identically valued properties in the two areas, you will not see 200% higher taxes, as stated by NW back a page or so ago, but more like 30%:
Quote:
In example, a house in Springlake worth $350k might pay $3k in taxes. In Belterra, a house worth $350k might pay $10,000 in taxes. These are very real numbers.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, I realize it is a different market and properties will be valued differntly. I was trying (futilely, I suspect) to make two points:
- The 'estimated' taxes are misleading.
- On identically valued properties in the two areas, you will not see 200% higher taxes, as stated by NW back a page or so ago, but more like 30%:

Couldn't give you any more rep.

We have to pay for the nice things we have in Belterra. Doesn't seem so strange to me.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 PM

And look, you get a robust HOA: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...en-har-1241982

Old 04-06-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Springlake isn't exactly a comparable neighborhood. It's an old neighborhood that doesn't really qualify as a subdivision.
As I suspected, you are pious as well as ignorant. Anyone that didn't know I was talking about springlake the subdivision in a discussion about Dripping Springs subdivisions is ignorant.

Of course, I guess you have your own definition of subdivision too. Very grown up.

If you can't accept reality, just create your own, I guess.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:

You can't seem to grasp, or differentiate the difference between schools and school districts.
Um, you were the one that gawked claiming that rooster elementary is somehow in a different district than DSISD, and I corrected you on it.

As for the rest of your ad-hominem statements. Sour grapes. You inserted yourself in a conversation that wasn't about you, and tried to hijack it for your own purposes, but thank you for giving the OP a good example of the type of people living in Belterra. I'm sure your neighbors are glad to have you as a neighborhood ambassador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin