Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:08 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Umm...you sound a bit 'behind the curve' at the moment? .

Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Glad the sumbitch has removed himself from the planet. Sorry that two innocent people died

Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Glad the sumbitch has removed himself from the planet. Sorry that two innocent people died
His last heinous act was to shut down I-35 for 6+ hours

Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
I was not terrorized in the least. The probability of being impacted was as close to zero as any other highly improbable event, lower than getting hit by a drunk driver.

If you changed your behavior one iota, you just fed into the fear.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I was not terrorized in the least. The probability of being impacted was as close to zero as any other highly improbable event, lower than getting hit by a drunk driver.

If you changed your behavior one iota, you just fed into the fear.
So, you are saying that we should have just opened up an unexpected package instead of calling 911? Historically, I would have picked it up to see if it was mis-delivered, but you think it is dumb that I decided not to touch it during this 'spree'? You think it is dumb to look up and down the street/sidewalk before letting my kids go out to play?

And I think your DWI stat is pretty misleading if not downright wrong. The rate of being killed by a drunk driver (if you are not the driver or in the drivers car) is about 7 per million for the year (state-wide). The bomber killed 2 (in a city of approximately 1 million) in less than a month. That is a rate of 24 per million for the year if he is not caught and assuming no one changes their behavior 'one iota'.

Not to mention that many of the DWI fatalities occur in the wee hours of the morning when most people aren't driving, so as an individual your chances are much lower if the bulk of your driving is during the day (especially rush hours). And most people DO change their behavior while driving to account for bad/drunk drivers - look both ways before entering and intersection after a light changes, watch the driving behavior of cars around you, etc. Sure, it can't necessarily be avoided, but you have some control over the situation and you exercise that control.

The fallacy is that we did not exercise ANY minimizing behavior related to packages prior to the bombings, whereas people DO minimize risk while driving. Simply employing a few minimizing steps until the guy was caught was just common sense. Like, don't go driving around between 12:00 and 4:00 am on New Years Eve.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I'm curious who the bomber mailed the 2 FedEx packages to. That's going to be freaky for somebody! Count their blessings that They were not delivered!

Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
So, you are saying that we should have just opened up an unexpected package instead of calling 911? Historically, I would have picked it up to see if it was mis-delivered, but you think it is dumb that I decided not to touch it during this 'spree'? You think it is dumb to look up and down the street/sidewalk before letting my kids go out to play?

And I think your DWI stat is pretty misleading if not downright wrong. The rate of being killed by a drunk driver (if you are not the driver or in the drivers car) is about 7 per million for the year (state-wide). The bomber killed 2 (in a city of approximately 1 million) in less than a month. That is a rate of 24 per million for the year if he is not caught and assuming no one changes their behavior 'one iota'.

Not to mention that many of the DWI fatalities occur in the wee hours of the morning when most people aren't driving, so as an individual your chances are much lower if the bulk of your driving is during the day (especially rush hours). And most people DO change their behavior while driving to account for bad/drunk drivers - look both ways before entering and intersection after a light changes, watch the driving behavior of cars around you, etc. Sure, it can't necessarily be avoided, but you have some control over the situation and you exercise that control.

The fallacy is that we did not exercise ANY minimizing behavior related to packages prior to the bombings, whereas people DO minimize risk while driving. Simply employing a few minimizing steps until the guy was caught was just common sense. Like, don't go driving around between 12:00 and 4:00 am on New Years Eve.
feel free to change it to just killed by another driver. or any other highly improbable event. Your fallacy is taking my point literally to only compare to drunk drivers. The essence of my point is that the probability was extremely low, not worth worrying about.

On my feed people wrote:

1) their kids cant go play outside
2) they werent going to order anything from amazon, or were having packages delivered to a locker instead of to their house.
3) They were afraid and anxious and were having trouble sleeping from the worry
4) one person left a package in the mailbox for her husband to get because she was afraid to get it

Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
feel free to change it to just killed by another driver. or any other highly improbable event. Your fallacy is taking my point literally to only compare to drunk drivers. The essence of my point is that the probability was extremely low, not worth worrying about.

On my feed people wrote:

1) their kids cant go play outside
2) they werent going to order anything from amazon, or were having packages delivered to a locker instead of to their house.
3) They were afraid and anxious and were having trouble sleeping from the worry
4) one person left a package in the mailbox for her husband to get because she was afraid to get it
Eh, my post was just pointing out the pointless comparisons that seem to be often made. Such comparisons are not relevant, really. There is a lot more to an 'event' other than just probability, there is the aspect of 'control' and deviation from normal.

That said:
1] Well, we visually 'checked' the area briefly, but kids happily played outside with the neighbors. To some extent, this is a not so far fetched response, though, as kids do not have the ability to process risks and dangers that an adult does. But I didn't know anyone really played outside anymore anyway .
2] We didn't order anything, but we weren't planning to. We would have ordered something, I suppose, if we needed to. We did receive a package, but as it was expected it did not cause concern.
3] This is a bit silly, I think, but some people are just prone to panic/stress.
4] I have heard this from someone else, as well, and it cracks me up - "Honey, get that package, it might blow up and I don't want to touch it". I love you too, honey.....

Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 AM

423 posts, read 289,004 times
My cowboy friend is expecting a package from amazon this Friday. He is going to lasso it and drag it around before opening.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Is it me or is something just not adding up about this story? It seems a bit Lee Harvey Oswaldish, where police wanted a suspect "taken out" so they can calm the community back down? I have no doubt that guy was involved, but the resolution seems too "pretty". Usually these cases take months to get to the bottom of.

We still don't know motive, details about the person, what trail of evidence led the detectives to that motel in Round Rock, etc... It just seems like although there are CNN & FOX news trucks there, most of the details are rehashed re-canned details that everyone is reporting. I don't hear any actual details of what detective work was involved.

If it's truly over, they should be able to release the information. Ah what I wouldn't do for 1990's news reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin