Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 PM

240 posts, read 272,179 times

Advertisements

Summers are about the same as Tampa. Hotter and less humid than Florida, but long and brutal. Winter is definitely worse than Tampa or Miami. That's where Florida really wins weather-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 09:46 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
If you really want to know what Austin is like, this is not the place to really find out. This forum is full of opinions based on folk’s personal beliefs and thought processes, not the reality of what Austin is as a whole. You’ll never know what Austin is really like until you live here for awhile, and then you can form your own opinion and post it on here with everyone elses opinionated critique. :-)

Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
Dale Watson says it sucks.

Dale Watson On Leaving Austin: 'The City Has Sold Itself' | KUT

Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
If only I knew who Dale Watson is

Old 03-20-2018, 12:42 AM

10 posts, read 13,752 times
Default Outside of Austin is better!

Dating wise? I've heard people say it's tough for single men in Austin because there's so much competition. I guess the men to women ratio here isn't great. One person called it a sausage party... I've had luck with women here but I'm not staying in Austin forever so I'm not trying to get serious with anyone.

Cost of living? It sucks. Not sure why Austin thinks it's ok to overprice the living crap out of everything but food here can be way more expensive than NYC! It's ridiculous. homeowners complain about the increasing property taxes. Online cost of living reports are outdated and much lower than reality.

Scenery? Austin itself is full of hipsters and yuppies. There's no community feeling to Austin and most people here aren't originally from Austin. I'd rather live in a nearby town like round rock, Georgetown, maybe even Buda , Kyle, Liberty Hill, Lago Vista, Lakeway (if you have money out the wazoo, Lakeway is gorgeous but might be too old for 40 year olds. I usually see people in their 50s and up.).

There's definitely a lot to do in Austin and it can be a great city to explore but once I move out, I'm not coming back. I would gladly live outside of Austin though and visit Austin on weekends.

The lakes and rivers are nice (ive only been to a few). The food is great and surprisingly diverse for the South. It's not better than NYC and northeast food but still good and different.

The traffic is horrible at certain times but not as bad as the northeast or other congested cities. There is construction going on EVERYWHERE so traffic will only get worse and you might have a construction crew making noise outside your window depending on where you live.
The drivers suck and everybody's on their phone while driving, even the old people.

I would suggest visiting Austin for a week or so to see if it's a right fit for you. I've heard San Antonio has a slightly older party scene. I've never been so I'm not sure.

I like the dry heat btw. It's less humid than NYC and the surrounding states. Snow is so rare here that we had like 2 inches this winter and people were talking about it like it was a huge blizzard. It's so rare, they don't even have plows or salt trucks cleaning the streets. I dont miss snow at all and the 90-100 degree days here don't feel as bad at the really humid 85-99 degree days in NYC.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
And there's the problem.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And there's the problem.
Well, I reckon I didn't recognize the name; but I'm somewhat aware of his 'presence'. I suppose it is an interesting commentary on the changes in Austin from his perspective. Not a chance in heck I would be interested in moving to Memphis, however.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:37 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherEastCoaster View Post
Dating wise? I've heard people say it's tough for single men in Austin because there's so much competition. I guess the men to women ratio here isn't great. One person called it a sausage party... I've had luck with women here but I'm not staying in Austin forever so I'm not trying to get serious with anyone.
Austin is a great place to be single if you're a tall white techie male

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Austin is a great place to be single if you're a tall white techie male
Or half Hispanic and nowhere near tech 👍🏻
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin