Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

^^^^ Good post.

I just regret I won't get to see how Austin grows, but it has been fun watching it these past 59 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 08:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
I'm an old person and I love change. That's why I left Austin

Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Now. I do think we need to find a better way to handle tax loads for the long time resident/retiree. I know that it’ll take a bite out of my retirement funds when I finally decide to step away from working part time.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I'm an old person and I love change. That's why I left Austin
Same here - that's why we moved to Brushy Creek up by Round Rock in 1995.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:33 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
Default yes he got his "sayings" mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You lost me at greed is good. A fan of Michael Douglas 1980's movies much? (Wall Street anyone?)
Yes, the actual positive saying that sounds odd at first is, "selfishness is good". Selfishness is needed to keep one's ego at a healthy level. If you are not selfish at all you end up on the street, like a modern day Jesus. Which can be admirable. Most have some selfishness but not hopefully too much. Greed is not good.

But, it is telling about the speaker who said it.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:39 AM

Default yes in a good way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
Pretty sure the OP's head has exploded by now.
yes in a good way-Tx Horse lady is telling y'all off and y'all deserve it because you argue to argue not, to be ethical or seriously discuss it. I come to your part of town and tell you what to do, I bet you start balling real fast about things changing too much for ya. If I get my way, I am going to put a half way house on your street pal. Ha ha!

Y'all have so much time to post commenters, have you thought of joining some group to help others, like Vista volunteers? You can help a child in foster care, be an advocate, instead you post for hours about being pro-development.

Here is the link

https://centerforchildprotection.org/about-us/

Not much of a life. I am in & out because I have to work for a living.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Default I love change-I hate exploitation, you might not know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
"Some people are afraid of change, but it is all in how you look at it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZGEC68WCWA
Change is my middle name. I walk around at work bragging about how I love change-got the wrong person.

I plan on helping people in the future. Poor people should be able to live on the west side in equal amounts as the eastside and have frozen property taxes-its my new life goal, perhaps...

Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It just was reported being on the market feb 22. Do you have a link? I cant find any news about a sale.
I can't. I have a very close inside source.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Regarding "Greed is Good ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Yes, the actual positive saying that sounds odd at first is, "selfishness is good". Selfishness is needed to keep one's ego at a healthy level. If you are not selfish at all you end up on the street, like a modern day Jesus. Which can be admirable. Most have some selfishness but not hopefully too much. Greed is not good.

But, it is telling about the speaker who said it.
Oh brother. As "the speaker who said", I assume you are insinuating something negative about the statement or anyone who believes and understands it.

"Greed is good" is a fact of human nature. You are, in fact, greedy if you want a "better deal" when buying a car, or a piece of clothing, or anything else. You want "more" for "less", which is a form of greediness.

If you seek out a lower interest rate on your home loan, a better price on a house purchase, or try to negotiate a lower rent for a house, you are in fact acting "greedy", because you want to make your outcome better (in your mind) than that of your counterparty. Or at least less good.

When people at an Austin party brag that their house received multiple offers and sold for $20K over the list price, knowing they accepted a cash offer from an investor instead of the slightly lower 3.5% downpayment offer from the first time homebuyer couple who begged for it in their letter, then those sellers acted in their own self-interest, which is a form of greediness.

And yes, Greed can also be the root of Evil, or the motivating force for those who do Evil. But the same can be said about Lust, Desire, Fear, Joy, Altruism (Mother Teresa did more harm than good, for example), or just about anything else.

Entering into a forum based on the written exchange of ideas, thoughts, opinions and facts might be more satisfactory if one doesn't use the brain as a blunt instrument. There are many nuances of human behavior and psychology that are interesting to explore and contemplate.

Things that seem "Bad" to one person may actually cause "Good" for another. The growth of Austin and its changes probably fit into that category.

OK?

Steve

Old 04-04-2018, 11:57 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
yes in a good way-Tx Horse lady is telling y'all off and y'all deserve it because you argue to argue not, to be ethical or seriously discuss it. I come to your part of town and tell you what to do, I bet you start balling real fast about things changing too much for ya. If I get my way, I am going to put a half way house on your street pal. Ha ha!

Y'all have so much time to post commenters, have you thought of joining some group to help others, like Vista volunteers? You can help a child in foster care, be an advocate, instead you post for hours about being pro-development.

Here is the link

https://centerforchildprotection.org/about-us/

Not much of a life. I am in & out because I have to work for a living.
Because posting on a message board totally precludes any kind of volunteerism, community involvement and assisting others in the terrestrial world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin