Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM

43 posts, read 214,124 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what they know about Grisham Middle School from experience or from what they have heard? A parent's perspective or a teacher's perspective are welcome. I know it's an IB school and I've looked at ratings on different sites, but I'm looking for more opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclboro View Post
Can anyone tell me what they know about Grisham Middle School from experience or from what they have heard? A parent's perspective or a teacher's perspective are welcome. I know it's an IB school and I've looked at ratings on different sites, but I'm looking for more opinions. Thanks.
I was hoping someone else would have commented. I live in a neighborhood that feeds into Grisham, & my kid will likely attend there in 2 years.

I've observed & heard the following:

- It's improved it's ratings/scores the past 3 years & will likely continue to improve.
- The HS it feeds into has the highest rating in Greater Austin.
- 1 of the 3 ES that feed into it has the highest rating in Greater Austin.
- The 2 others are middle of the road. This is primarily because several large APT complexes feed into these ESs.
- I ask the middle schoolers often (like every time i see them) how they like it & all say they like it & have no "problems" (drugs/gangs/bullying etc.)
- Parents I talk to indicate that their kids haven't had problems & that any "problem children" would be kids who typically wouldn't pass the TAKs (i think the number was 89/11 last year) & would be in a more remedial environment at the school.
- I've heard the band is the best in the city & many of the kids I see are involved in athletics. Also in our neighborhood we have many Indian & Asian children so i suspect the school is also very diverse. (i need to check greatschools.net)
- The other major MS nearby is the higher rated RRISD MS. (Canyon Vista). Just as diverse (i think)....I believe the fact the scores are higher is because they don't have as many (if any) apt. complexes feeding into it. In other words the top 50% - 70% of students in both schools score similarly....it's that Grisham has a larger number of lower income apts. dwellers.

I'm watching closely & will have a decision to make if the situation worsens....but am hopeful it will remain a good school & will likely continue to improve. Hopefully others will offer opinions.

Good luck.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,156 times
I went to Canyon Vista Middle School, and I have moved into the Grisham MS area just this year. Adults and teachers don't know what happens in the halls, classrooms, and outside of the school. I know that both canyon vista and grisham have had drug problems, but canyon vista's is just recently. A lot of Westwood's athletes have come from Grisham (so I have heard from my older brother). Canyon Vista is very diverse and children come from all different home enviroments.
It doesn't matter how much money your family makes to determine how well you learn things or how smart you will be. Saying things like that are prejudice and will only make this world worse. Adults teach kids things like that; children have to learn it from somewhere.
Grisham is better in fine arts,athletics and other things than CVMS is. CVMS is better in acedemics by majority. I know that there is a lot of bullying in Canyon Vista. I don't know about Grisham, but I will be finding out soon. I have moved quite a bit and know from experience that the more diverse a school is the more bullying there tends to be.
Grisham isn't in the top five school but the kids there are very talented, and I suspect that that influences others.
Hopefully this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin