Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 06:13 PM

166 posts, read 191,929 times

Advertisements

Can anyone talk about their experience using moving pods?
what company did you use?
did you like the company? why or why not?
would you advise any of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 07:39 PM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
I used PODS. It worked pretty well. Unfortunately, the apartment we temporarily moved to had nowhere to deliver it to, so we ended getting a moving truck to move stuff from their facility (You call ahead and they set the POD out). The house we ended up buying probably had too steep a driveway to deliver as well. They did break some of our stuff, but it was kind of our fault. We packed the initial POD really well, but the truck we got was too small and not as surgically packed so we couldn't get it all loaded in one trip. They moved the POD between trips and some of the loosened items were damaged. Overall, I'd recommend it, but there are a lot of caveats (like most things).

Old 04-07-2018, 09:31 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
I used UPACK-went from Chicago to Austin. Paid 8k... Filled an entire semi truck. Representative lied to me on the phone .. told me it was 8k..truck showed up and told me it was 13k ... I had to call the corporate district manager and complain..They honored the original price of 8k ..other than that.. I really liked the company. I feel like they stand behind their product . This was in 2014 btw.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
I have a pod in my driveway right now. Had one delivered last week that had been in storage for a year.

The first pod had all our china plus some outdoor furniture. In the middle of the year we wanted the outdoor furniture so they set the pod out at their facility, we were able to access it and get the things we wanted and then they put it back.

I filled one pod myself, and had professional movers fill the other pod. It was nice to have the pod in the driveway and slowly load it over a week vs. having to get everything moved in a day.

They dropped second pod at their facility, they were extremely apologetic and ill go through the pod tomorrow to see if anything is broken.

It was pricey at 189 per pod for about 18 months each.

If you need the pod on the street you will need to get a COA permit.

Watch some videos of how they drop the pods off to get an idea of how they can maneuver.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:53 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I used PODS to move a bunch of stuff from PA to Austin. It worked really well, and I liked how flexible they were with when it could be picked-up and delivered. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember what we paid.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:23 PM

216 posts, read 179,750 times
Used U-Pack from Seattle to Austin area, almost full trailer cost 3462$ and had crew in both cities 1100$ and 850$ to load and unload.

Worked well and can be recommended. Asked also full service moving quotes, those were between 12k-18k

Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM

166 posts, read 191,929 times
I am callling different places and your information is helpful thank you.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:19 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
We used PODS over 10 years ago. All great, we filled I ourselves. But we used their recommended movers to empty it in Austin and that wasn’t fun. I specifically asked if they would assemble three pieces of furniture and they confirmed over the phone. Th guys who unloaded said no assembly in their paperwork. So caveat! My MIL used them for a move to Georgetown in January and had a very good experience with their professional packing. They made it very easy for us to unload.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
I used a U-Pack pod thru ABF Freight back in 2007 when I moved out to Georgetown from CA. Had some issues getting it picked up in time before I had to give the landlord the keys but the Austin office more than made up for it when they delivered the pod to the self-storage place we needed it at in a very timely manner and then took it away right after we were done about 45 minutes later. We packed/unpacked it ourselves. Cost me about $1500 altogether - about $1/mile - not too bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin