Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,117 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I know this topic has been covered in the past but it looks like it has been at least ten years since it was asked. My husband and I are looking to relocate from our small CT suburb - outside of NYC - to either Austin or Houston (it depends on which job comes through). We have three teenage daughters, one in high school and two in middle school. We would like a safe, family-oriented suburb with a great high school, meaning a school that is academically strong, has a fun atmosphere, and a good theatre department. Also, we are Mormons, and our kids would like to have friends who don’t party, so a school culture where there are plenty of teens who don’t drink would be ideal (tough to find in our area). LDS high-schoolers traditionally attend “seminary,” or scripture study class, on weekday mornings before heading to school, so living close to an LDS church building and a nice group of LDS teens, along with teens who attend other churches, would be convenient. Church activities are a big part of our lives, as well as outdoor recreation, horseback riding, soccer, and theatre. We are moderate in our political beliefs, we have lived in other countries, and we aren’t much for polarizing political discussions. More like live and let live. In Austin I’m intrigued by the Dripping Springs area bc of the beauty and outdoor activities - hiking and swimming holes. In Houston I’m looking at Sienna Plantation but I know very little about Houston. We are coming for the lower cost of living (compared to the Northeast), warmer weather, more laid back lifestyle, and proximity to family in Dallas and Lubbock. I’ve heard all about the traffic and rising housing costs and humidity - none of that bothers us. We lived in Manhattan for 15 years. Oh, and a bit of land would be nice, too - an acre or so, maybe more, but not too isolated. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:33 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,789,986 times
I think you need to contact the local LDS churches and see where they are located and ask them what schools their members attend. The last Mormon clients I had had to live within a certain proximity to the church. That was very difficult in their price point. They got mad at me because they couldn't afford to live in the area.

You're going to have to give and take, especially on the land thing, if you need to be near the church. I wouldn't even look into other things until you know where the options even begin, and then you can compare and contrast areas.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM

8,008 posts, read 10,411,545 times
We'll need a budget to help you out.

Have you lived in Texas before? I ask this because, generally speaking, people moving from the northeast have the hardest time adjusting to life here. I am from Philadelphia, have been in Austin for over 20 years, and although I don't hate it, it still doesn't feel like home to me. Not saying it's a bad place, or that you will be in the same boat, just be warned that it's a big change.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,581,345 times
I grew up in Houston and I will never move back. It's flat, sprawling and ugly as sin in many areas. I'd choose Austin over Houston time and time again.

I do agree with CarnivalGal. My parents are from the North East and never loved Texas truly. We do not have seasons in the traditional sense, no foliage really. Allergies are rough.

Texans are hella nice and we get more for our money. You will also find we have such pride for our state- not many states have that!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,576,701 times
Well. Since we have no clue where this job is, all recommended spots are pointless.

I will say there are something like 4-5 LDS churches/temples within a 5 miles radius. of Lakeline/Leander.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,953,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Well. Since we have no clue where this job is, all recommended spots are pointless.

I will say there are something like 4-5 LDS churches/temples within a 5 miles radius. of Lakeline/Leander.
There is no LDS temple in Austin. The closest is in San Antonio. There are wards all over Austin though, but you may be disappointed with the size of the LDS population here.

Houston will definitely give you a much larger LDS population (there is a temple there too) and much more flexibility with housing prices. Austin is the most expensive city in Texas. We simply can't give you any more help until you tell us what your housing budget is and the area of town the job would be located.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,873,997 times
I second the recommendation for San Antonio, that is the nearest LDS temple.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 13,679,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I second the recommendation for San Antonio, that is the nearest LDS temple.
It's also in a very nice area with amazing schools.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 AM

772 posts, read 1,058,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
There is no LDS temple in Austin. The closest is in San Antonio. There are wards all over Austin though, but you may be disappointed with the size of the LDS population here.

Houston will definitely give you a much larger LDS population (there is a temple there too) and much more flexibility with housing prices. Austin is the most expensive city in Texas. We simply can't give you any more help until you tell us what your housing budget is and the area of town the job would be located.
I have to confess I don't know much about LDS but is there a difference between between a temple and a church? I'm asking because I've passed a couple at least in the cedar Park/ round Rock area. There's one for sure just by Vista Ridge high school in Cedar Park.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:58 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
I have to confess I don't know much about LDS but is there a difference between between a temple and a church? I'm asking because I've passed a couple at least in the cedar Park/ round Rock area. There's one for sure just by Vista Ridge high school in Cedar Park.
There are several LDS churches in town. Maybe I dont understand the difference either, but I think there are at least 5. North, east, downtown, and southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin