Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,812,823 times

Advertisements

Austin is not more liberal than Dallas.

I've been in Austin for practically a year and most of the gays are still half way in the closet, even the ones at the gay bars feel uncomfortable with their homosexuality. How do I know? Because when you start to mingle, you start to realize little by little. They got issues. That should tell you that homosexuality still isn't truly "approved" or "accepted" when the gays arn't feeling good about themselves. No gay pride.

I do care if there is a district. It is way better to hang out in a large gayborhood than in Austin where all you can do is go to a few dance clubs/bars that are located smack dab in the middle of a straight area and then mingle with a ton of spaced out strangers. Does that sound fun to you? The nude beach in Austin is mostly for the elderly.

At least in Dallas you can stay away from the conservative counties/areas because there are very republican areas surrounding the city of Dallas.

In austin you never know who you will run into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Austin is more liberal than Dallas and Houston, so I don't think it's totally about Texas conservatism. I'm guessing it's either because the gays and lesbians who live here don't really care if there is a district or not, or IMO, it's essentially due to the size of the city. I can't think of another way to word this, but Houston and Dallas are much bigger than Austin at their urban cores and I'm thinking because Austin is so much smaller, there's just nowhere really for a district to be? Unless it's a very small one.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-27-2008 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Why move to Austin? There is nothing there. No enclave. Just a few bars is all.

I don't know about Houston.

But in Dallas. You have the cedar springs area which is like a gay-village paradise! It's really fun there. You will see much more gay pride there.

There are other gay areas in the dallas area too. Also in Fort Worth and Denton have small gay areas/gay scenes. Some people are still in the closet or feel ashamed of their gayness though, so you will run into that every now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
I am considering a move to Austin and wondered if there is a particular liberal sort of enclave where gays might be especially welcome?

Or is the entire metro area cool with it?

I don't tend to go to lots of gay clubs at my "advanced" age So nightlife isn't a consideration. However, I do like seeing others out walking their dogs, running, etc. I prefer an "active" neighborhood with an urban feel.

thanks..

Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,179,722 times
From what I had heard, Austin was overall much more "progressive" than Dallas in terms of politics, social issues, just about everything. Third only to San Francisco and Seattle.

Plus, it is warmer all year long.

I don't know which would be better for me. I hate decisions

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM

72 posts, read 197,593 times
I've lived in Austin for 17 years, ever since coming as a 21-year old UT student in 1991. I came out at the same time and have always felt at home in this city. I've only lived in central neighborhoods, both as a single guy and partnered--West Campus, North Loop area, Crestview, and Cherrywood (aka French Place)--where absolutely no one gave a rat's patookus that I was gay. Usually there'd be one or two other gay or lesbian neighbors within a block or two, with mostly liberal-to-moderate straight folks ranging from their 20s to 70s in between. Where we live now (Cherrywood) is possibly the gayest part of town (most same sex couples according to the 2000 Census) but it's not a gayborhood by most bigger cities' standards. Most of our best friends (largely gay, some straight) live within 10-15 minutes of us scattered around central Austin and we regularly have dinner, movies, or drinks out anywhere we like--I have never felt any anti-gay bias at any place we've gone (and that's a LOT of places), even outside central Austin. I think other commentors' "live and let live" translates to "no one cares you're gay, they'll decide to like you for your rappelling skills, funky artistic bent, organic garden green-thumb, thoughtful words, or whatever." Anyway, that's my experience.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 PM

No they are wrong. Austin is not third.

The city of West HollyWood -located in LA county is the largest gay scene now.

Fort Lauderdale and San Fransisco Bay are tied as 2nd.

Then the rest are New York, Seattle, Chicago, Palm Springs, and Denver.

I can tell you the gay crowd in Dallas is about five times huger than in Austin. So there is no way Austin is third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Third only to San Francisco and Seattle.

Plus, it is warmer all year long.

I don't know which would be better for me. I hate decisions

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM

105 posts, read 664,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoquiz3000 View Post
I think other commentors' "live and let live" translates to "no one cares you're gay, they'll decide to like you for your rappelling skills, funky artistic bent, organic garden green-thumb, thoughtful words, or whatever." Anyway, that's my experience.
Well said, my friend, well said!!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM

I hate to surprise you, but most medium to large cities in Texas are cool with gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoquiz3000 View Post
I've lived in Austin for 17 years, ever since coming as a 21-year old UT student in 1991. I came out at the same time and have always felt at home in this city. I've only lived in central neighborhoods, both as a single guy and partnered--West Campus, North Loop area, Crestview, and Cherrywood (aka French Place)--where absolutely no one gave a rat's patookus that I was gay. Usually there'd be one or two other gay or lesbian neighbors within a block or two, with mostly liberal-to-moderate straight folks ranging from their 20s to 70s in between. Where we live now (Cherrywood) is possibly the gayest part of town (most same sex couples according to the 2000 Census) but it's not a gayborhood by most bigger cities' standards. Most of our best friends (largely gay, some straight) live within 10-15 minutes of us scattered around central Austin and we regularly have dinner, movies, or drinks out anywhere we like--I have never felt any anti-gay bias at any place we've gone (and that's a LOT of places), even outside central Austin. I think other commentors' "live and let live" translates to "no one cares you're gay, they'll decide to like you for your rappelling skills, funky artistic bent, organic garden green-thumb, thoughtful words, or whatever." Anyway, that's my experience.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,179,722 times
Default cool with gays but...

I realize Dallas and Houston (and perhaps some other medium sized cities) are cool with gays.

However, I am interested in the overall qualities of a city and am looking for
a place that's socially and politically progressive, liberal, and where people are generally friendly and kind to one another.

A question to the forum:

Would you rather your gay grandmother/grandfather grow old in Austin, Dallas, or Houston?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM

72 posts, read 197,593 times
Don't worry about "hating" to surprise me, Artsyguy. What's up with you? Nothing in my post implied anything about the relative gay-friendliness of any other place in Texas. I just know Austin, and am really happy here. There are probably lots of folks who are "cool with gays" all over this state--the only time anyone ever yelled "(mean name for gay guy)" at me was in NYC.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
I think other commentors' "live and let live" translates to "no one cares you're gay, they'll decide to like you for your rappelling skills, funky artistic bent, organic garden green-thumb, thoughtful words, or whatever."

Bingo! Exactly what I was trying to convey!

Would you rather your gay grandmother/grandfather grow old in Austin, Dallas, or Houston?

Austin, no question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin