Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
That was the Austin attitude that created the problem and now people know where to go for safe panhandling without working. Designing a more effective sign for panhandler, seriously? Flower salesman is actually working, why put him in the same bucket as an able bodied drug addict?

Yes, seriously. And it was considered to be a very Austin thing to do - instead of "Ewwww, I have to look at someone down on his luck, there ought to be a law against that!", doing what one can with one's talents to help, and not being Mr. Judgy Judge as if that somehow makes one superior.

You're not from around here, are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:18 AM

445 posts, read 413,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, seriously. And it was considered to be a very Austin thing to do - instead of "Ewwww, I have to look at someone down on his luck, there ought to be a law against that!", doing what one can with one's talents to help, and not being Mr. Judgy Judge as if that somehow makes one superior.

You're not from around here, are you?
Who's judging whom now?

I didn't know harboring druggies was the very Austin thing to do. It was said over and over again, there are enough resources if the unfortunate ones want to help themselves. We are talking about the ones who are able bodied and don't want anything to do except beg money from others. What's next? Should they be allowed to point guns at me at a traffic light and I have to hand over my wallet?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 AM

29 posts, read 43,883 times
I have family that have to deal with these scum bags in ER all night long, over and over and over.

Darwin needs visit them. Fix them two times, third time they’re out and let die right there.

The folks that give the urchins money are as much to blame as the bums themselves. Yeah, yeah, your money, do what you want to with it.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
This thread is the reason why our homeless/panhandler situation won't be solved. We all have different solutions and none of us agree on anything.

You have viewpoints from "panhandlers make Austin great" to "homeless are just misunderstood" to "just ignore them" to "force them to clean up trash" to "arrest them" to "let them die".

Yep, this ain't ever gonna be solved...

For the record, I'm in the misunderstood to ignore them camp.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
That was the Austin attitude that created the problem and now people know where to go for safe panhandling without working. Designing a more effective sign for panhandler, seriously? Flower salesman is actually working, why put him in the same bucket as an able bodied drug addict?

I checked your profile. One reason I moved to Austin almost 5 decades ago (from Dallas, as it happens) was to escape a particular kind of mentality that pervaded that city and environs and apparently still does and that, yes, I judge, where anyone that is different or doesn't fit neatly into little boxes must be removed from view so that things are tidy and comfortable for those who can't deal with difference. Unfortunately, it is the very nature of that kind of mentality to seek out those areas where people have escaped from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I checked your profile. One reason I moved to Austin almost 5 decades ago (from Dallas, as it happens) was to escape a particular kind of mentality that pervaded that city and environs and apparently still does and that, yes, I judge, where anyone that is different or doesn't fit neatly into little boxes must be removed from view so that things are tidy and comfortable for those who can't deal with difference. Unfortunately, it is the very nature of that kind of mentality to seek out those areas where people have escaped from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs
Goodness, not even sure what you are saying. Anyway, I did not say anything about removing these people - someone else did. You, OTOH, don't even live in Austin and giving us a lecture on how Austin should harbor these people. Why don't you harbor them in your acres of horse grazing land that you live in? I'm very curious to see how Wilco people will like that.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times
All I can do is laugh. Basically what I’m understanding is that Texashorselady is okay with homeless/pandhandles completlely destroying any area that so choose- and live off of others hard earned money instead of putting their efforts into finding some sort of job/stability. It’s their right to just urinate/crap all over the place, leave their trash all over, harass people for money, steal from gas stations to “perform” a “service” to sometimes unwilling “customers” waiting at a light. Yeah that’s great. Real Austin right there..smh.

Again, some people need help. There’s nothing wrong with that. But there are services for that. There are so many jobs in this city that could be had. If your expecting someone else to fund someone’s lifestyle which includes damaging an area which many people call home then your crazy. But then again it’s not in jarrell so what do you care?

Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
All I can do is laugh. Basically what I’m understanding is that Texashorselady is okay with homeless/pandhandles completlely destroying any area that so choose- and live off of others hard earned money instead of putting their efforts into finding some sort of job/stability. It’s their right to just urinate/crap all over the place, leave their trash all over, harass people for money, steal from gas stations to “perform” a “service” to sometimes unwilling “customers” waiting at a light. Yeah that’s great. Real Austin right there..smh.

Again, some people need help. There’s nothing wrong with that. But there are services for that. There are so many jobs in this city that could be had. If your expecting someone else to fund someone’s lifestyle which includes damaging an area which many people call home then your crazy. But then again it’s not in jarrell so what do you care?
I hate to tell you this Antny, but more people in Austin have Texashorselady's views than yours.

I believe my views are more moderate than either of you two, although I'm sure some people are cussing me out for my views too.

If I did have to side with either you or Texashorselady, I would have to choose her because she is more of what the "real Austin" was about, like it or not. That being said, I don't have the same views as her, I believe that homelessness is usually a symptom of being mentally ill and people need help for that.

It almost looks like you moved here but didn't really investigate what Austin is really about... There's a long history for tolerance of homeless and/or panhandlers here and it predates most of us.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:30 PM

For those of you who are reduced to the "You don't live in Austin" argument since you don't have anything better, we still own property in Austin, I work in Austin, we have friends and family in Austin, and it is a city that has meant and still means a great deal to us. Just like when your kid moves away from home, you don't write them off and not care what happens to them any longer.

Antny12, you are one who came here and immediately started complaining about it and wanted to turn it into Chicago. Now, THAT is crapping all over Austin (or any place that someone moves to and does that kind of thing).

Bp25, what I was saying is that you moved here from the very place and attitude that I moved here to get away from, and brought the attitude that so many moved to Austin to escape from with you. Is that more clear?

Old 06-08-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Bp25, what I was saying is that you moved here from the very place and attitude that I moved here to get away from, and brought the attitude that so many moved to Austin to escape from with you. Is that more clear?
Yes, clear now. I needed to get my attitude approved by you before I moved here. Put a billboard on I35 near Georgetown saying that, so that Dallas people can see it before coming over here. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin