Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:25 AM

283 posts, read 255,193 times

Advertisements

Kind of a long story so bear with me.

I was taking an on-line defensive driving class and as part of the verification process, they periodically ask you questions about yourself that only you should know. The first two questions gave me a list of former addresses and former zip codes I'd supposedly been associated with, along with maybe 9 or 10 options, and a "none of the above". I looked down each list of locations/zip codes and none were familiar, so I clicked "none of the above".

The system told me I missed both questions and gave me a warning that I can only miss one more before being denied the opportunity to take the class on-line. So I contacted the course directly to see if maybe they had my info wrong.

The lady told me that the information was taken from "public records". She then e-mailed me a list of answers that the system was looking for. There were 15 questions and all were legitimately connected to me except that one address and its corresponding zip code.

I was curious so I googled it and it's a vacant lot in SE Austin near Onion Creek, currently owned by the city of Austin. I think it was one of the houses that flooded some time back and the city basically bought out everybody in the area and condemned it as a flood plain. I don't know whether that matters, but it was interesting.

Anyway, does anybody know how this could have gotten into my "public record"? What exactly is the "public record" that they pull from - DPS? Credit reports? Should I be concerned about identity theft? What should I do?

tl/dr: I recently found out that my public record contains an address that I've never had any connection to. What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Did you look up the ownership history of the property? Do you have an ex who might be associated with the property? My ex-husband's house keeps showing up on my list of possible addresses. We've been divorced over 20 years and I've never set foot in that house.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Check your credit reports to be safe.

It could be a mistake, but addresses that are not yours can show up in public records when someone else uses your identity.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:25 PM

Yes, I looked it up on the TCAD site. That's how I knew it was owned by the city. They acquired it from someone in 2008 who was the original owner (bought directly from builder in 1981). I did not recognize the name and have no association with that person whatsoever that I am aware of.

I've never been divorced and have no idea how my name came to be associated with this property. I've lived here nearly 40 years and don't think I've ever even been through that part of the city.

edit: further googling found that this lot was indeed part of a flood buyout along Onion Creek. It looks like the Corps of Engineers is in the process of doing some kind of flood mitigation project there.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Check your credit reports to be safe.

It could be a mistake, but addresses that are not yours can show up in public records when someone else uses your identity.
I did run a credit report and nothing showed up so I assume this came through the DPS site. What other sources of "public records" are there?

I did some more googling with "my name" + "that address" and it's turning up in some of the people search type sites. I saw that a lot of extremely distant in-law "relatives" are being associated with me, many(most) of whom I've never met. But I don't think that property's prior owner could be one of them.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:53 PM

103 posts, read 113,368 times
Be sure to run all three credit reports

Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I once found that there were 12 other property owners in Travis County that had names similar or identical to mine. We also found a lady who was writing bad checks with the same name as my wife. Its not too hard to see how those names could get confused in the public record.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:06 PM

122 posts, read 95,220 times
I had trouble getting this house in Austin because someone with my same name and who lived about 1/2 mile from me (in my old town) was wanted for back child support. It was not a big deal to clear up but still it is amazing how little it takes for someone in some government office to not check something closely and bamm your life is screwed for a bit.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
I did run a credit report and nothing showed up so I assume this came through the DPS site. What other sources of "public records" are there?

I did some more googling with "my name" + "that address" and it's turning up in some of the people search type sites. I saw that a lot of extremely distant in-law "relatives" are being associated with me, many(most) of whom I've never met. But I don't think that property's prior owner could be one of them.
Typos and transcription. How common is your name and/or misspellings? Source it out and contact the associated platform.

Start with searching your name at www.publicdata.com

Old 06-20-2018, 05:06 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
Kind of a long story so bear with me.

I was taking an on-line defensive driving class and as part of the verification process, they periodically ask you questions about yourself that only you should know. The first two questions gave me a list of former addresses and former zip codes I'd supposedly been associated with, along with maybe 9 or 10 options, and a "none of the above". I looked down each list of locations/zip codes and none were familiar, so I clicked "none of the above".

The system told me I missed both questions and gave me a warning that I can only miss one more before being denied the opportunity to take the class on-line. So I contacted the course directly to see if maybe they had my info wrong.

The lady told me that the information was taken from "public records". She then e-mailed me a list of answers that the system was looking for. There were 15 questions and all were legitimately connected to me except that one address and its corresponding zip code.

I was curious so I googled it and it's a vacant lot in SE Austin near Onion Creek, currently owned by the city of Austin. I think it was one of the houses that flooded some time back and the city basically bought out everybody in the area and condemned it as a flood plain. I don't know whether that matters, but it was interesting.

Anyway, does anybody know how this could have gotten into my "public record"? What exactly is the "public record" that they pull from - DPS? Credit reports? Should I be concerned about identity theft? What should I do?

tl/dr: I recently found out that my public record contains an address that I've never had any connection to. What's going on?

Your "Credit Report" is only one piece of information maintained on your history. You should also obtain your free copies of the full range of reports typically maintained on you. LexisNexis is one of the, if not the, largest collector and provider of this information. You can order these for free here https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/ .

You will be surprised just what "Public Information" is being kept on you and it may display attempts at identity fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: