Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

So a few things have been curiousing me about them.

Alot of them have toll booths, but these booths are just vacant leaving large plaza's only for TX Tag or Pay By Mail. Were these booths ever staffed or are they ever going to staff them? If not, can't they just tear them down?

I heard SR 130 isnt making any money. If it goes bankrupt, will they close the highway or will they keep it open? Also is the speed limit on SR130 85 MPH after you get out of Austin, and if so...is it faster to go that way to San Antonio than I-35 is traffic is similar?

Do you think they will ever extend TX-45 west of U.S. 183 at the half built interchange where they intersect to replace FM620 and make a western loop around Austin? FM620 is becoming a rough street to drive on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:22 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
A few of the tool booths used to be manned, but have not been in some time. It is much cheaper to leave them there than to tear them out, though.

As I understand it, SH130 in particular is profitable, but the company that owns it is not - they have some huge dead-weight projects in other places and went bankrupt (apparently they were counting on SH130 to be the golden goose). Not sure on the current state of finances, but think it is okay after bankruptcy.

Depending on where and when you start/stop your trip, it can be much faster then I-35 although occasionally a bit white-knuckle depending on the other drivers and the feral hogs.

Finally - probably not in my lifetime .

Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
A few of the tool booths used to be manned, but have not been in some time. It is much cheaper to leave them there than to tear them out, though.

As I understand it, SH130 in particular is profitable, but the company that owns it is not - they have some huge dead-weight projects in other places and went bankrupt (apparently they were counting on SH130 to be the golden goose). Not sure on the current state of finances, but think it is okay after bankruptcy.

Depending on where and when you start/stop your trip, it can be much faster then I-35 although occasionally a bit white-knuckle depending on the other drivers and the feral hogs.

Finally - probably not in my lifetime .
I was also noticing the exit numbers on SH 130 are very high (like in the 400's I think) ...but the highway itself isnt anywhere near that long.. it seems as though they had intentions on making it longer than it currently is... Im guessing further south given the exit numbers ... was it supposed to go to Corpus Christi or something? Also on the northern end, will it ever be forseeable to extend it as a bypass to Waco and Temple toward the DFW region?

Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Alot of them have toll booths, but these booths are just vacant leaving large plaza's only for TX Tag or Pay By Mail. Were these booths ever staffed or are they ever going to staff them? If not, can't they just tear them down?

I heard SR 130 isnt making any money. If it goes bankrupt, will they close the highway or will they keep it open? Also is the speed limit on SR130 85 MPH after you get out of Austin, and if so...is it faster to go that way to San Antonio than I-35 is traffic is similar?

Do you think they will ever extend TX-45 west of U.S. 183 at the half built interchange where they intersect to replace FM620 and make a western loop around Austin? FM620 is becoming a rough street to drive on.

The speed limit on 130 from the far north entrance down to where it takes off towards Lockhart is 80; at that point it goes to 85.

We find it much faster to go to San Antonio (we're just north of the north entrance) by taking 130 and over to Buda instead of I35. Though there are now a couple of places on 130 that do end up stop and go at rush hour.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:02 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Don’t use 130 to go to San Antonio unless for some reason by “San Antonio” you mean seguir. It’s snother 30 minutes to the outskirts of San Antonio. The only time I’ve taken 130 to SA was when it flooded over halloween in 2015 and 35 was closed st the San Marcos river. It took an extra hour to get home despite there being no traffic.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhere but here View Post
Okay after bankruptcy, that is funny. Beg the legislature for a contract, then fail and beg the legislature for a bailout.
Well, as I understand it (which could be wrong), it wasn't that the toll road was not sustaining itself; it was just that the company had too many bad investments in other places. 130 is not cheap and it is often quite crowded these days.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:

In the original days of 45 and 130 they had manned tollbooths. The 183A north portion right by Lakeline Mall was the first TX Tag only tolled section (just that one section where there is not enough room).

That was a "success" and they decided all new roads would simply be TX Tag. Shortly thereafter they removed people from the tollbooths and blocked them off. They never did take down the tollbooths. Waste of money if you ask me.

The problem with extending 45 west of 183 is right of way. There are so many businesses in that stretch from Pecan Park to Anderson Mill Rd. I believe I read that would be the only portion to be considered at this point.

There is a study on 620 from 2222 to Anderson Mill but it's in its early phase. The scoop that I'm hearing is that 620 will be 6 lane divided highway with Michigan Left Turns at key spots. That is the final improvement from 2222 to Anderson Mill.

So in about 20 years 45 will meet up with Anderson Mill and 620 will be a divided highway 6 lanes to 2222 then 6 lanes from the Bypass Road to Quinlan, then 6 lanes through Lakeway. The other portions will be a divided highway 4 lanes.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
I was also noticing the exit numbers on SH 130 are very high (like in the 400's I think) ...but the highway itself isnt anywhere near that long.. it seems as though they had intentions on making it longer than it currently is... Im guessing further south given the exit numbers ... was it supposed to go to Corpus Christi or something? Also on the northern end, will it ever be forseeable to extend it as a bypass to Waco and Temple toward the DFW region?

The exit numbers kinda-sorta parallel those of IH 35, perhaps in case "they" ever swap the toll designation for the Interregional Highway designation. Of course, if that swap ever happens, some cousin in the sign-making business will be in for a nice payday, as the exits north of the merge with IH 35 will all change.

It seems SH 130 was actually designed as a WEST Texas highway back in the planning stages; so all bets are off when it comes to logic and reason.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:43 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Yeah, that section of 130 from the 45/Buda cutoff down to Seguin is pretty useless. It would help if it was extended straight down to I-37 to facilitate travel to Corpus & the Valley. But travel to San Antonio? Nope, did that once - I-10 from Seguin to SA was worse than Buda to SA via I-35, what with only two lanes.

I heard the Governor lifted the freeze on the expansion (adding a lane each way) of 130 from 71 up to 45 in P-Ville/Round Rock. Is that true? If so, thank goodness. That freeze was a stupid move in the first place. In fact they should be adding 2 lanes each way instead of one because inevitably the east side of the metro area is going to grow & grow & grow.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The exit numbers kinda-sorta parallel those of IH 35, perhaps in case "they" ever swap the toll designation for the Interregional Highway designation. Of course, if that swap ever happens, some cousin in the sign-making business will be in for a nice payday, as the exits north of the merge with IH 35 will all change.

It seems SH 130 was actually designed as a WEST Texas highway back in the planning stages; so all bets are off when it comes to logic and reason.
I think the exit numbers might have something to do with this very-dead project: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Texas_Corridor

But I don't have anything to back that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin