Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2018...8217;-policies

The Austin City Council voted unanimously Thursday to approve two “Freedom City” policies, which target racial disparities in arrests and citations issued by the Austin Police Department.

Resolution 74 would require officers to issue citations instead of arrests for nonviolent class C misdemeanors, such as possession of marijuana, driving while license invalid and city ordinance violations.

Resolution 75 requires police to inform an individual that they have the right to deny a request for their immigration papers. This resolution is a direct response to Senate Bill 4, adopted by the Texas Legislature last session, which forbids local entities from adopting policies that prohibit officers from inquiring about someone’s immigration status.

More than one hundred people c
ame to speak in support of the two resolutions, while two members of APD testified against Resolution 74.

Just thought I'd share the above, fellow austinites. I just read about this city council unanimous decision that passed last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 07:54 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
"Yes sir - here's your keys back. We apologize for detaining you for not having a drivers' license - you're free to go"

"Please don't run over any citizens on your way home."

Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Personally, I get a kick out of 75. The games we play .

Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Austin thinks their ordinances (like 75) supersede state law?

Silly people. One of these sessions the State just might revoke the City's charter and set up a "capital district", much like Washington D.C., that can be controlled by the legislature.

If Austin wants to issue citations for said misdemeanors, then have at it. Does it mean they'll let drunks wander around in public? Peeing on the sidewalks? Might as well do away with those ordinances if that's what they want.

Also the City Council should change its oath of office, since they refuse to uphold some state & national laws.

lol Austin gonna Austin

Old 06-23-2018, 01:02 PM

75 in no way conflicts with state law - state law says a city cannot stop an inquiry into immigration status by an officer. The city rule accepts that, but then requires that the same officer inform them that they don't have to answer (which is also true). No conflicts.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:17 PM

I misheard it on the local TV news - thought the city wouldn't allow the officer to inquire about legal status. My bad.
But it still is a silly game the city is playing.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I misheard it on the local TV news - thought the city wouldn't allow the officer to inquire about legal status. My bad.
Yes, kind of, but take it totally out of this specific context of immigration and it isn't such a bad idea - stopping police from intimidating people into complying with a request that they don't legally have to comply with.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Just don't mess with our Wilco cops...

Old 06-23-2018, 03:59 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
"Yes sir - here's your keys back. We apologize for detaining you for not having a drivers' license - you're free to go"

"Please don't run over any citizens on your way home."
Open container in your car, totally fine. Here is a ticket have a safe drive.

Stole an item less than $50, please be on your way.

Kid driving drunk, tell your parents I said hi!

Quote:
Most Traffic Tickets
Disorderly conduct
Public intoxication
“Hot” checks less than $20
Simple assault
Criminal trespassing
Gambling
Bail jumping
Leaving a child in a vehicle
Petty theft such as shoplifting under $50
Possession of alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle
Driving under the influence of alcohol by a minor
Minor in possession of alcohol
Minor in possession of tobacco
Possession of Drug Paraphernalia

Old 06-23-2018, 04:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not really, it is like miranda rights "you have the right to remain silent"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: