Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

I'd take a Tom Pitt, a Doug Scott, or any local Texas builder home over any of the production builders any day of the week. Even if these homes are pushing thirty. We have smooth walls...never knew that was special, go figure. I much prefer textured though. We've opened the walls and the lumber is pristine, as if the house was built this year instead of 1989. I'd rather customize a house with good bones if you asked me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 PM

32 posts, read 54,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson78641 View Post
Was that 150 or 15? Find it hard to believe a bank would take a short sale for 15 grand.
No, 15. You read that correctly.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Senor View Post
Why sell? You had the option and chose to lose the house.
To be perfectly honest, we were trying to protect our credit. Took a hit for a couple of years but not awful.

If I'm being perfectly honest, the banks had zero clue what was going on. One would say foreclose, the other said short sale.

Then lets not even get into the issue of the fact that NO ONE could find our original mortgage, paper work, the list goes on. I had just opened our brick and mortar studio, then my hubby lost his job for 4 years. 4 years!

I was lucky I was able to keep everything afloat financially, but it was a real **** show. No one knew at the bank what was going on, what help was available for us to help with the massive depreciation of our property and eventually the bank themselves told us to walk away and we did the short sale through the process.

I won't even talk about squatters in our neighborhood and how drug dealers started moving in. Shootings, etc.

I had 7 close friends go through the same thing here. It was not pretty. I do not want to live like that ever again.

I have my 20% I just need to understand the build process and why it seems so shady. I am just trying to be an informed consumer.

Funny, I do a lot of branding for companies and the home builders "marketing" messages are so screwed up. They don't live by their ethos at all. Then they wonder why they all have bad reviews. But doesn't matter cause people keep buying I guess.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'd take a Tom Pitt, a Doug Scott, or any local Texas builder home over any of the production builders any day of the week. Even if these homes are pushing thirty. We have smooth walls...never knew that was special, go figure. I much prefer textured though. We've opened the walls and the lumber is pristine, as if the house was built this year instead of 1989. I'd rather customize a house with good bones if you asked me.
Is there a way to find those homes in a search?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:49 PM

I don't expect a lot of people to by empathetic to relate to me for going through the housing crisis like we did. I don't know how bad it was there in Austin during that time, but if you lived through it, I am sure you can understand.

But I am highly nervous to get back in there. I don't mind a little turbulence but I do want information, education and be able to make the best choices with my money.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenhead View Post
I don't expect a lot of people to by empathetic to relate to me for going through the housing crisis like we did. I don't know how bad it was there in Austin during that time, but if you lived through it, I am sure you can understand.

But I am highly nervous to get back in there. I don't mind a little turbulence but I do want information, education and be able to make the best choices with my money.
austin was like that in the 80s during the S&L crisis. Many people just left their house keys on the counter and walked away. Some of the older members on here surely lived through that.

You can definitely find what you are looking for, but they will be charging 300/sq ft.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
austin was like that in the 80s during the S&L crisis. Many people just left their house keys on the counter and walked away. Some of the older members on here surely lived through that.

You can definitely find what you are looking for, but they will be charging 300/sq ft.
Wow. Good to know. I wonder how they managed to get back out there....

Old 07-01-2018, 08:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Wow. Good to know. I wonder how they managed to get back out there....

I know! After the S&L crisis in the late 1980s both banking regulations and bankers were very conservative in TX, second mortgages were highly limited, lines of credit too (this was eventually opened up) but TX as a whole did not have the same type of real estate bubble as other states did. ALSO, our property taxes are high and they are payable each and every year and that keeps a lid on people buying too much of a house . . . the gardener who was able to finance and buy a $750K home? In Austin you would own $15K in property tax EVERY YEAR on that house . . . so people tend not to buy more house than they can truly afford, regardless of how big a mortgage they can get. So less bubble, less bursting. There was pain in the 2008-2011 time frame but it was much more limited.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM

103 posts, read 113,344 times
Quote:
I thought that was the process too. You have to sign the contract before going to design center..which I felt was ass backwards
It makes sense to me though. They want the contract done as early as possible in the process so that they can get the plans drawn up and submitted to the city. Your selections in the design center are rarely going to affect any of that, so even if you walk away at that point, they can keep moving forward and make it a spec home.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 AM

63 posts, read 91,239 times
Quote:
I thought that was the process too. You have to sign the contract before going to design center..which I felt was ass backwards
You can go to the design center before you sign and Drees even has packets that list the upgrade prices for each floorplan in each neighborhood. I think most builders have hrs that are open to the public. Drees is Fri morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin