Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 PM

8 posts, read 16,001 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We are moving from Minneapolis to Austin. My 2nd grader was identified gifted in 99% in Kindergarten and has been receiving gifted services for our Mnpls ISD. We will be moving to Round Rock in a few days!! I am trying to narrow down an elementary school for him. Sadly schools are currently closed so I cannot tour.

Any insight into which school among Laurel Mtn Elementary, Spicewood elementary, Elsa England, Patsy Sommer schools are good at keeping gifted kids challenged at their level and has a good gifted teacher and program.

Time is short so any help appreciated. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 01:37 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,030,602 times
we attended laurel mountain and almost everyone wanted their kids in the gifted program.. The competition is fierce, for example parents had their kids in 2nd grade studying until 9pm at night to be far ahead of the school program.

when we attended a pre kinder open house for rising kindergarteners, they showed examples of the prior years students' work. There were kids in kinder doing long division, writing whole paragraphs etc.

When we left after second grade they had started a track based math program where the kids were tested every unit (every 4 weeks I think) and then tracked based on their level in that unit. Our daughter was generally in the second unit, but the top unit kids were very very good. I liked that program a lot.

Laurel mountain will be the most competitive of the schools you mentioned, with spicewood probably next (from your list).

Canyon Vista is the top middle, then westwood is the top high school, the other elementaries that feed into canyon vista are cathy caraway and jollyville.

At the high school level (westwood) you need something like a 5.5 out of 5 to be in the top 7%

attendance zones to most of the schools you mentioned are not actually in round rock, they are in austin. If you have an address you already have schools you are zoned to. There is no guarantee that you will be able to switch.

Last edited by Austin97; 07-10-2018 at 01:52 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,182,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_girl_111 View Post
Hi all

We are moving from Minneapolis to Austin. My 2nd grader was identified gifted in 99% in Kindergarten and has been receiving gifted services for our Mnpls ISD. We will be moving to Round Rock in a few days!! I am trying to narrow down an elementary school for him. Sadly schools are currently closed so I cannot tour.

Any insight into which school among Laurel Mtn Elementary, Spicewood elementary, Elsa England, Patsy Sommer schools are good at keeping gifted kids challenged at their level and has a good gifted teacher and program.

Time is short so any help appreciated. Thank you so much!!
Your address dictates your zoned school.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 AM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
If you already have a house, it will be tracked to a specific elementary school. It appears that transfers requests are now closed. Here is the site that seems to cover transfers for RRISD:
https://roundrockisd.org/parents/student-transfers/

In any case, the four elementary schools you listed are not open to new transfers anyway (probably have reached capacity?)

Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 AM

668 posts, read 775,970 times
Jollyville Elementary does not feed into Canyon Vista; it goes to Deer Park Middle School.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,030,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Jollyville Elementary does not feed into Canyon Vista; it goes to Deer Park Middle School.

According to the RRISD feeder chart it goes to both

https://roundrockisd.org/schools/rrisd-feeder-chart/

Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 PM

155 posts, read 210,380 times
Ditto Austin97's comments. If your kid is tagged as gifted in Mpls ISD, please note that there is a chance s/he might not make it into Laurel Mountain's TAG program as competition is intense (they have to limit participation to ~ top 10%). However, almost everyone in LME is "gifted" (if you consider test scores, club participation and extra curriculars into account)

Old 07-10-2018, 08:19 PM

318 posts, read 666,071 times
I did not care for the Spicewood TAG program, but I think it was based on the teacher. She's since retired. A few other people left that TAG program as well. It's geared nearly soleley on advanced content, which is good on ONE hand. But many GT programs are based on the out-of-the-box thinking as well. Our experience at Spicewood did not have that secondary (and integral) part of the program.

Having said that, we actually left Spicewood after one year and switched into LISD and Rutledge Elementary. LISD, at the time, had both advanced content (PACE) and out-of-the-box thinking (QUEST). I know budget cuts have brought about some changes, but both of mine are now in HS so not certain how it's changed.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 16,001 times
Thanks all for the great replies. Very eye opening to know abt Laurel Mtn. My views on a GT program in any school is that the kid should be kept challenged at their level - this does not mean that they keep being taught higher grade Math or reading all the time. Rather it should focus on challenging their minds and helping them open new pathways to creative thinking. Sadly in this time and age everything seems to be only measured in terms of how advanced Math and Reading a child can do.

Is LISD - Lake Travis ISD??

Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,438,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_girl_111 View Post

Is LISD - Lake Travis ISD??

Leander ISD
Includes Rutledge mentioned earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin