Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM

16 posts, read 24,194 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Planning on moving from Dallas to Austin. Work will be in downtown. Max commute would like it to be 1 hour, of course lesser time would be preferable.

Please suggest which areas are good for schools and their ratings?

Any areas where we can find new homes and/or still build homes??

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
A 1 hour commute is pretty much anywhere in the entire area. So your question actually boils down to best schools in the austin area, which you can easily find with a google search.

(high schools and their feeders --> westlake, westwood, lasa, vandegrift, lake travis, leander, cedar park, dripping springs etc)

Maybe give us an idea of your budget and type of housing and that will constrain things.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
A 1 hour commute is pretty much anywhere in the entire area. So your question actually boils down to best schools in the austin area, which you can easily find with a google search.

(high schools and their feeders --> westlake, westwood, lasa, vandegrift, lake travis, leander, cedar park, dripping springs etc)

Maybe give us an idea of your budget and type of housing and that will constrain things.
LASA is by admission only. A student could go to any school and work hard, have a good application, etc. and go.

Budget and what other things are important to you will help us steer you in the right direction. You can also use the "search forum" for similar topics. I live in far south Austin at exit 225 and it can take me an hour to get to work and at home at 15th and Red River if I leave at the wrong time. Other times it can take me 15. Just depends.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Thanks guys.

One of my kiddos will be going into first grade (6 years old) and other one I want to continue Montessori school (4 years old).
So right now I am looking for good elementary schools and would be nice if middle and high school ratings are good as well.

As far as budget, still figuring all of that out since we need to figure out what we will be doing for home in Dallas....

Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejashah View Post
Thanks guys.

One of my kiddos will be going into first grade (6 years old) and other one I want to continue Montessori school (4 years old).
So right now I am looking for good elementary schools and would be nice if middle and high school ratings are good as well.

As far as budget, still figuring all of that out since we need to figure out what we will be doing for home in Dallas....
Without a budget we cant really help you. There are good schools all over town and a 1 hour commute is pretty much the entire city and most of the outlying areas.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 PM

So how is EANES, Roundrock, Steiner Ranch, West Lake, & Beltarra????

Old 07-14-2018, 08:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:

What is your budget?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
And a commute to where?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 AM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
Quote:
If you plan to work downtown, from the options you listed Eanes/Westlake would make the most sense, assuming your budget can handle it. Excellent schools, elementary through high school and easy commute to downtown. But you're looking at an entry point of ~ $700K+, with most homes over $1MM (and into the stratosphere from there).

You couldn't convince me to commute to downtown from Steiner Ranch (search the thread on this forum, just getting out of Steiner Ranch to the intersection of 620/2222 in the morning rush can take 30 min+, then you still need to drive to downtown). Round Rock is pretty far, too.

Other options if you are commuting to downtown would include Circle C, Travis Country, Northwest Hills, the list goes on.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:52 AM

Thanks everyone.

Budget would be ~ $450K and commute from Downtown Austin..

Are there any public transportation system at all???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin