Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:47 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Glad to hear it.

Understand that I am not entirely against growth and change. But change is not change is not change - there's good, thoughtful change, and then there's change for the worship of change itself (or change for giving in to rape, as the analogy above).

Thoughtful change that keeps the original character of a community in mind, that feeds mostly on developing and supporting local businesses, is fine. It's more akin to lovemaking in that the community is viewed as not merely an object to be changed and financially benefited from but the living being it actually is in its own right, to be valued.

Change for the worship of or perception of its inevitability, to ignore the original character of a community and turn it into what will predictably make money and make it just like every other place in the country (and in the world, if it can be pulled off), is more akin to rape, viewing the community as that object.

I support the one and abhor the other. Even from a financial viewpoint, the latter is short-sighted, as cbach's example of Louisiana shows. (cbach, I have no problem with a reasonable number of hotels, by the way, as long as they are not the equivalent of the hotels in Monopoly, so identical as to be interchangeable with each other. If you're going to do that, Lost Pines Resort & Spa in Bastrop, which is practically a destination itself, comes to mind. Or the Stagecoach Inn in Salado, supposedly to re-open Labor Day after remodeling.)

I hear what you're saying, but my original point was that the OP merely listed new developments he wanted to share. He received responses as if he, by himself, was solely responsible for the changes.

I understand the different points you are making regarding growth, but as I've stated, it's inevitable at this juncture. You compare it to rape, which is a bit extreme, but it's still inevitable, nonetheless. We all reminisce about the past. Change isn't always easy, but if it's coming, then we need to figure out how to deal.

I admire your fight, though. You never hesitate to express your disdain for the "rape" lol, and it shows your passion. I can't be mad at that.

But let the poor guy share the news of coming developments. Some of us find it useful and appreciate it.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I support the one and abhor the other. Even from a financial viewpoint, the latter is short-sighted, as cbach's example of Louisiana shows. (cbach, I have no problem with a reasonable number of hotels, by the way, as long as they are not the equivalent of the hotels in Monopoly, so identical as to be interchangeable with each other. If you're going to do that, Lost Pines Resort & Spa in Bastrop, which is practically a destination itself, comes to mind. Or the Stagecoach Inn in Salado, supposedly to re-open Labor Day after remodeling.)
Unique hotels are nice but extensively remodeled or "boutique" hotels just don't have enough rooms. You do need some good quality chains as well.

I've stayed in chains in Barcelona and Paris and that didn't detract from my experience in the city. However, it was nice to have A/C in my room after a hot day walking the cities. I've also stayed at boutique hotels in France with no A/C. The hotel was 500 years old but it was difficult to sleep at night with no A/C. Sometimes a Marriott is a welcome thing.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes they were. I'm not saying that tourists would necessarily like Cedar Park or Leander but they can be stopping points to the Hill Country. The north shore of Lake Travis is nearby, Burnett and Llano are close by and there are some pretty darn good local and authentic places there.

I'll give an example in Louisiana. There are a whole bunch of chain hotels and restaurants in La Place, LA but it's very close to some Lake Pontchartrain attractions. You need some hotels for people to stay, might as well make them conveniently located.

I do have to say I don't like Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Georgetown too much, too many strip malls. But I don't see much wrong with Antny12's current post. Now when he complains about the homeless or says something I disagree with, I of course will correct him!
Well to be honest, Austin is chock full of strip malls and chain restaurants. Southwest, Northwest, North....Sure, there are some one of a kinds, but more often than not there are lots of chains. It's like small pockets of local stuff and "funky (strip) malls" somehow puts blinders on people so that they ignore the presence of strip malls that somehow make the suburbs "Anytown". In addition, there are many local places inside of the strip malls. Since the sprawling suburban inside malls are gone, what else other than a strip mall, can you build to house multiple tenants?

No offense, dude, but you really need to live in those cities. Georgetown in particular has a lot of local charm (Town Sq anyone?) , definitely as much as Steiner, which to be honest is strip mall and chains and rooftops with some waterfront views and hilly topography. Just sayin'....

btw I love chains and malls...that translates into lots of retail options that I'm familiar with and like.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:57 PM

68 posts, read 70,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Was wondering the same thing! Hopefully this new building will streamline the drive thru! That place was always packed with traffic! Miss my monthly chicken strip fix!
Have you seen this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkOyknMXJg

Old 07-24-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well to be honest, Austin is chock full of strip malls and chain restaurants. Southwest, Northwest, North....Sure, there are some one of a kinds, but more often than not there are lots of chains. It's like small pockets of local stuff and "funky (strip) malls" somehow puts blinders on people so that they ignore the presence of strip malls that somehow make the suburbs "Anytown". In addition, there are many local places inside of the strip malls. Since the sprawling suburban inside malls are gone, what else other than a strip mall, can you build to house multiple tenants?

No offense, dude, but you really need to live in those cities. Georgetown in particular has a lot of local charm (Town Sq anyone?) , definitely as much as Steiner, which to be honest is strip mall and chains and rooftops with some waterfront views and hilly topography. Just sayin'....

btw I love chains and malls...that translates into lots of retail options that I'm familiar with and like.
I'm chill okay in fact the charcoal is already on the fire and the first beer can about to be popped. If you were here I'd offer to mix you up your favorite margarita.

Austin is a beautiful, messy mess, that's why we love it. Same with soul-less Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc.. There's some nice people up there including you but let's be real about those places. Austin in general isn't a sight (or a site) for sore eyes. The downtown has "spiffied up" but us old timers know the greasy grimey site of this town and love it.

Now onto RR. Hey, IKEA is great and the Outlet Malls in Round Rock have some great deals on Air Jordan's for my son that sometimes sell out on Amazon. The park system is second to none, probably in the state. I've been to events there and they always are run smoothly, the Christmas lights are nice too. The Dell Diamond is about as much fun as you can have in an Austin summer "with your clothes on" . But let's be humble here. If you had unlimited money, you'd be in Tarrytown just like I would. Let's not kid ourselves.

Steiner is Steiner. I like the views and the lake and just too lazy to move out. I've made so much on my house no need to cash out anytime soon. I don't disagree with you, but I do have a lake within 5 minutes of my house and that's what I like. If lake and scenery wasn't important to me, I'd probably be in Circle C to be honest. But lake is my #1 thing.

Last edited by cBach; 07-24-2018 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Was wondering the same thing! Hopefully this new building will streamline the drive thru! That place was always packed with traffic! Miss my monthly chicken strip fix!

PDQ is just around the corner!!! I come from the land of Chick-fil-A(Atlanta); but they lost me when they dropped the carrot salad and cole slaw. Canes is another alternative to the sweet "fil-A"

My old roommate's daughter helps set up IT for the new stores; so she will probably come to see "us" when that store is about to re-open.

Interestingly, we stopped in West Monroe, LA on our trip back east and we checked to see if the TWO Chick-fil-A restaurants were still at the exit. YEP...less than 100 yards by my guess separates the TWO Chick-fil-A stores!!!(Across the street from a Canes!!!) Those folks eat SOME chicken, I reckon!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
If you had unlimited money, you'd be in Tarrytown just like I would. Let's not kid ourselves.

Pretty sure I wouldn't move to Tarrytown even if the house came without a mortgage.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Pretty sure I wouldn't move to Tarrytown even if the house came without a mortgage.
Why? Or maybe Travis Heights appeals more? That would be nice too.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Why? Or maybe Travis Heights appeals more? That would be nice too.

Got no interest in being "in town". Since Neil Diamond retired and won't be at the Erwin Center again, I doubt I'll go into town for much other than my Saturday bike rides from Mellow Johnny's.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Got no interest in being "in town". Since Neil Diamond retired and won't be at the Erwin Center again, I doubt I'll go into town for much other than my Saturday bike rides from Mellow Johnny's.
Okie dokie then don't cblock my discussion with riaelise okay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin