Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Do you really believe this? Austin is pretty segregated and within the city limits is becoming whiter as minorities are pushed out to the suburbs
Well in KC, Pittsburgh, Boston, Philly the black, Jewish, Italian, Irish, etc... neighborhoods were well defined.

When I lived in New Orleans I lived in a neighborhood that was fully mixed. Black, Mexican, and white neighbors around me. This was the Bywater for reference.

Austin is somewhat segregated by white/black along I-35 but Hispanics are intermixed everywhere in Austin.

You don't have something like "Spanish Harlem" in Austin.

Sorry if this offends you but this is the truth about up north. The cities up there are really segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 05:05 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
There is a very strong Hispanic presence almost everywhere in the city of Austin. The percentage Hispanic has been trending up for years in the SW Austin schools my kids go to. I really don't think my kids have any idea which of their friends are Hispanic or not. So while there are some areas that are much higher a percentage Hispanic than 'white', there are almost no areas where they would stand out.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
OP did not ask for a predominately hispanic neighborhood. They asked for a neighborhood with people her age.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
OP did not ask for a predominately hispanic neighborhood. They asked for a neighborhood with people her age.
True, but she included the 'Hispanic' in her description, which would lead one to believe that she either thought it was significant or wanted to know if it was; otherwise, it would not be included.

Or at least that is my take.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
True, but she included the 'Hispanic' in her description, which would lead one to believe that she either thought it was significant or wanted to know if it was; otherwise, it would not be included.

Yeah that's why I mentioned it. My point to her was that we're not segregated like up north. She can live anywhere and feel comfortable.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

I think that people from outside of Texas and the southwest identify more greatly with "Hispanic" then do those in the southwest. For us it's like "Okay...and?" While other areas of the country it's a bit different.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
My husband identifies readily as Hispanic and he's a native Texan.

In the northeast it's different, many people identify themselves by their nationality or Latino/a rather than the term "Hispanic" (Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc.)

Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I agree, winters here really aren't that nice. I mean there are nice periods but then there are long periods of cloudy cold weather with lots or rain or sometimes ice. Then there are those glorious 60 or 70 degree sunny days but those are the exception rather than the norm.

The springs here though are some of the best weather in the country. In mid March at SxSW we are having 70 to 80 degree sunny weather while the Northeast and Midwest are still digging out of snowstorms and the Pacific Northwest is still locked into rain and even the Denver area sees highest amounts of snow in March actually. The only place possibly better than Texas in the spring is Florida.

Now the early fall (Sep/Oct) is much better in New England and the Midwest and best on the West Coast but our Novembers probably beat all parts of the country except CA, AZ, NV, NM, and FL.

Our summers are uniformly hot but at least we don't get daily thunderstorms like FL and we don't get blast furnace temps like AZ or NV. Also look at PA and NJ they just got tremendous flooding in the summer. I'd take our summer over a Midwest or Northeast summer anyday. The Rockies and the whole West Coast especially WA/OR beats everyplace in the country in the summer though.

Overall our weather beats most places in the country except California and I can live with that.
Sorry the summers here (as in Central TX) suck the big one...

Much prefer coastal bend temps.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I don't know about that. Some years they are fairly nice, others are predominately chilly and grey. They are usually schizophrenic day to day. It snowed/iced twice last year here.

I try to chime in on these threads because the winters here are not in any way comparable to south Florida winters, which are the ones that people living in the north east and mid-Atlantic typically think of when they think of winters in the far south.
How long did the snow/ice stick around last year? Maybe a couple of days? Usually whenever there is a measureable accumulation of snow/ice in Austin, it quickly turns into a city wide event and about every place will shut down. Usually within in a couple of days, the snow and ice will be all gone and the temperatures be back in the mid 60's for a few days, and then we'll get another cold front. Cold winter temperatures with or without precipitation seldom last longer than 2 or 3 days, and then it warms back up.

About the only places in the Lower 48 states that has virtually no cold weather, ice or snow, is in Southern half of Florida and San Diego and Southern California along the Pacific Coast. Other than the Southern cities that are within 50 miles of the Gulf Coast or the Atlantic Ocean, there's not going to be too many places outside those regions that has warmer winter weather and less winter precipitation than Austin and Central Texas.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Hello, I'm 31 years old, Hispanic female currently living in Northern NJ and getting divorced. I work at a Mobile Retail Store and I can easily move my job anywhere. I want to move out of NJ because the cost of living is outrageous and tired of snowstorms and rude people. In addition, my $50k approximate salary doesn't get me a place that's not in the ghetto or an apt with other 5 roommates. i was checking rentals and possibly buying a condo since I will get a lump sum for a property settlement agreement on the house I own with my soon to be ex-husband. I would love to live in a walkable and safe area since I have a dog. Also, I am looking for an area where there is a large population of people around my age to make friends and join activities. I currently live in an area in the New Jersey woods that has no sidewalks and full of baby boomers and families. I feel extremely lonely in here and want to avoid to live in a situation like this in the future.

What areas should I consider and which ones should I stay away from?
You just described Austin - Baby boomers, hipsters and no sidewalks, especially in the older neighborhoods. There are many shallow people here too, so do not be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin