Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My husband identifies readily as Hispanic and he's a native Texan.

In the northeast it's different, many people identify themselves by their nationality or Latino/a rather than the term "Hispanic" (Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc.)
Do you mean that in the NE, most people of Puerto Rican or Dominican descent but are born and raised in the United States, are cool with being identified as a Dominican or Puerto Rican rather than an American?

Around here, it seems like Hispanic is a safe and polite term to use when you're not sure what term to use and you don't want to offend anybody. My 40 plus years in Texas, I have run across many Native Texans of Mexican descent who identify as Texican or Tejano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
A single 31 year old woman should feel pretty comfortable in Austin provided they don't have an awful commute to work. Austin is probably one of the best (if not the best) cities in Texas for young people to meet other young people. Depending on where you choose to live, you should notice a notable increase in how many Hispanics you meet on a given day. As a Mexican-American myself, I feel no isolation from my culture and can easily find people to brush up on my Spanish if I choose.

As far as any racism, I have not experienced blatant racism with the exception of the time I made the mistake of visiting a Cabela's in Buda (south of Austin). City-proper tends to be more subtle racism if you do experience it, although this tends to come from older whites.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:51 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
Well, as an older white guy, I feel compelled to apologize for the rest of my class ;-)

My best friend of 35 years is a guy from Mexico who by nature has as very strong sense of self. It is interesting, he says he has never felt (let himself feel) discriminated against. He is like a super-hero in that regard, he repels bullets, etc. And I believe him.

This is just a comment, but it is interesting. He has cousins from his family in California who grew up here since the Mexican Revolution. They were offended that my friend (their cousin) didn't feel that he didn't feel that he had been discriminated against also. So, while I don't deny the honesty of people's feelings, it is interesting to speculate on how people should act on actual occurrences in their lives.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Do you mean that in the NE, most people of Puerto Rican or Dominican descent but are born and raised in the United States, are cool with being identified as a Dominican or Puerto Rican rather than an American?

Around here, it seems like Hispanic is a safe and polite term to use when you're not sure what term to use and you don't want to offend anybody. My 40 plus years in Texas, I have run across many Native Texans of Mexican descent who identify as Texican or Tejano.
Well the more accurate term would be "Dominican-American" but for most, it's easier to just say "Dominican". Even if you were born in America, a person can still be tribal and have ethnic pride. Puerto Ricans are actually Americans whether they were born on the island or not But culturally identifying as Puerto Rican is important, so they identify as "Puerto Rican" or "Boricuan" or in the streets "PR". In the northeast, it's common for people to self identify ethnically vs. an umbrella term like "Hispanic".

Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 PM

949 posts, read 571,793 times
History lesson for all. Discrimination in history is like milk and cereal. It would be hard to find a race, ethnic group whatever you want to call them, that has not been discriminated against.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I don't know about that. Some years they are fairly nice, others are predominately chilly and grey. They are usually schizophrenic day to day. It snowed/iced twice last year here.

I try to chime in on these threads because the winters here are not in any way comparable to south Florida winters, which are the ones that people living in the north east and mid-Atlantic typically think of when they think of winters in the far south.
I have lived in Denver, Indiana, South FL, and North FL (the panhandle). Austin is very mild in the winter. It's not like Denver where you can see blizzards. A few times it gets cold with minor snow flurries, but it's not that big of a deal. Albuquerque gets far more snow in the winter which is mild compared to Denver. Indiana snow storms are fierce and drive people to Texas all the time. Austin has mild winters relative to the north. South FL doesn't really have a winter except about once every five years when the iguanas freeze and fall of the trees - lol.

Austin is awesome. I recommend it. Sorry to hear about your divorce, but you sound smart and frugal. Just don't rush into another bad marriage like this person did in San Antonio. The divorce rate is 66% for 2nd marriages. But Austin can be a great place to regain your life focus after divorce and enhance career growth. The job market was booming when I was there.
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifesty...nsive-wedding/

Old 08-21-2018, 09:29 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I have lived in Denver, Indiana, South FL, and North FL (the panhandle). Austin is very mild in the winter. It's not like Denver where you can see blizzards. A few times it gets cold with minor snow flurries, but it's not that big of a deal. Albuquerque gets far more snow in the winter which is mild compared to Denver. Indiana snow storms are fierce and drive people to Texas all the time. Austin has mild winters relative to the north. South FL doesn't really have a winter except about once every five years when the iguanas freeze and fall of the trees - lol.

Austin is awesome. I recommend it. Sorry to hear about your divorce, but you sound smart and frugal. Just don't rush into another bad marriage like this person did in San Antonio. The divorce rate is 66% for 2nd marriages. But Austin can be a great place to regain your life focus after divorce and enhance career growth. The job market was booming when I was there.
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifesty...nsive-wedding/
Spending $110k on a wedding is foolish in every regard. "A fool and his money are soon parted..."

Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Spending $110k on a wedding is foolish in every regard. "A fool and his money are soon parted..."
Just read the first paragraph, but at least the parents paid for it, not the couple .

Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Just read the first paragraph, but at least the parents paid for it, not the couple .
The author probably doesn't realize her second marriage will not be paid by her family. They'll be like "why don't you go down to the county courthouse." lol

Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 PM

10 posts, read 13,702 times
Not just Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. In Texas most Hispanics I meet are Mexican but up North you have all kinds of Hispanics. When people ask where I'm from, I say I was born in the USA but my parents came from Central America.. If a Hispanic person asks, I'll just say Central American. If I'm in another Hispanic country, I'll say I'm American and say where my parents are from. In Canada or non Hispanic countries, I'll just say I'm American

It doesn't matter to me if somebody calls me Central American or Hispanic. I don't feel the need to say I'm American if you're asking me as we stand IN America and can hear me speak perfect English with a northeast accent. The only thing that annoys me is when people refer to all Hispanics as MEXICAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin